Oliver Whales floor-standing & counter-top 3D stereoviewers

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
treefrog

Re: What Butler Saw - Can you identify please

Post by treefrog »

Looks like an Oliver Whales viewer to me, with replacement topflash....

See link below on more info, seen a few of these come up at auction for £600+.....already seen this at the auction.

Link now merged above - Site Admin.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

I'm with treefrog on this one, it does look like an OW to me :D
This is the inside view of an OW viewer,
Attachments
33.jpg
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

This is the link to auctioneer's catalogue page (auction date 13th and 14th November):
http://www.gerrardsauctionrooms.com/Bid ... otRef=1083

And you can use your zoom for a closer view but my money is on the top being a new and very poor replacement and if the front flash is anything to go by, any restoration or replacement to the interior is likely to be poor too.

It is local to me but I've not bothered going to the viewing as beyond the bottom case it looks like something someone knocked up a shed. It's in the eye of the beholder of course so I am ready to be shocked/horrified.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Nice bit of detective work Mr Blackpool, and that will be why "brook222" can't show us what it looks like inside :!?!:
Which is a bit of a shame......... :oops:
cheeky

Re: Oliver Whales viewer

Post by cheeky »

treefrog wrote:Topic merged - site admin.
Anyone see the Oliver Whales viewer at auction last week? ... How common are these machines?
Hi treefrog,

I've seen a dozen or so since I began collecting machines about 30 years ago so not uncommon and prices in the '90s I seem to remember were around the £400 mark. If I remember correctly, a fraction more than a good Oliver Whales allwin. My how prices have risen! !OMFG!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Oliver Whales floor-standing & counter-top 3D stereoview

Post by pennymachines »

This Stereoviewer, earlier than the Whales machines, and clockwork, only made £190 at the Elephant House recently.
Attachments
296.jpg
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

It's all most peculiar. !PUZZLED!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Cheeky, think you are mixing up a thread that has been merged a few times.....one of the issues, people think it is a single thread.

The recent machine at auction on ebay made £230. Maybe the insides were missing. I also note one sold at Coventry auction a few years ago for similar money, so big variance in pricing... I like them, but would prefer a Mutoscope....
atticbrowser

Whales stereo viewer coin mech advice

Post by atticbrowser »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

After the interesting discussion we had a few months ago about coin-op stereo viewers I’ve been prompted to get my coin op viewers out of the various cupboards and guest bedrooms where they have been languishing. I’ve resolved to get at least a couple of them tidied up and working properly. I’ve started with this Whales viewer which I suspect will be well known in this community. Good news is the motor and light are working. A previous owner had installed a new motor and grounded the electrics. What isn’t working is the coin operation. The levers that seem implicated in switching the motor and light on and off are complete but out of order. There is a spring hanging loose and I can’t see where to attach it. There is a horizontal lever that looks as if it should be moved by the impact of a falling penny but I can’t work out where it should be positioned. I’d greatly value any advice or some photos of a working mechanism I can look at. Although this is the Whales machine I wonder, from a couple of brief pictures I’ve see if the mech inside a Peerless viewer is very similar. Thank you as always for any help.

bryans fan

Re: Whales stereo viewer coin mech advice

Post by bryans fan »

Hi
I sent you a PM on the 5th May. I don't think you have seen it, as it's still in my outbox.
atticbrowser

Post by atticbrowser »

Thank you!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

So are the rest of us not to benefit from your expertise BF? :cry:
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

I can`t access my machine at present, but as soon as I do I will post pictures on here for all to enjoy!
polaris

Countertop viewer

Post by polaris »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin

Good evening all, although I look in most days it’s been some time since I posted having almost given up on the hobby (can only put it down to a mid life crisis). Although wasn’t a big collection most of it went at the time and to say I regret it is probably an understatement :) I’m sure many have been there and moved things on that will be impossible to replace. Anyway can’t dwell on that and now like everyone else am trying to put a few machines together and slowly getting there. My latest addition I require some help with in the form of some photographs that I can use to replace artwork on this countertop viewer. Would be much appreciated if anyone can help and would of course add to resources when complete.
Attachments
23E4E0B2-4101-4177-BF7E-BED79E16033a.jpg
23E4E0B2-4101-4177-BF7E-BED79E16033a.jpg (17.1 KiB) Viewed 5785 times
DE154200-3BD3-4989-9D40-BF2D0EEAE35a.jpg
DE154200-3BD3-4989-9D40-BF2D0EEAE35a.jpg (15.48 KiB) Viewed 5785 times
treefrog

Re: Countertop viewer

Post by treefrog »

Looks like an Olly Whales viewer. Oddly I was going to post about the below one that sold last week for £1400 or £1750 including commission. :shock: I was trying to work out if it had some super rare pictures in or something......crazy

Anyway may help with artwork. I am sure this will get linked to the thread on these machines.
* Done - Site Admin.
Attachments
Bourne-326.jpg
b072953d-cb58-42b6-85e8-ab0c01031c73.jpg
b130b43a-9836-4c6c-8d64-ab0c010300ad.jpg
89a5608a-9a84-4ef8-a7c0-ab0c01032d7f.jpg
polaris

Re: Oliver Whales floor-standing & counter-top 3D stereoviewers

Post by polaris »

Many thanks Tom, saw this also on saleroom and like you can’t fathom why so much, can only imagine two people really wanted a viewer. :) Hoping for better image but could hopefully do something with it.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I was recently asked to have a go at one of these. I've posted a couple of versions in Resources. I still have the working file, so if any adjustments are required let me know.
polaris

Post by polaris »

Thank you kindly Mr P , either will do nicely will have a go at this over the festive period on a rare occasion where I have some free time. Would you also have a photo of topflash that I could work with?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Interesting at the beginning of this thread I noticed Coin-op mention not seen another floor standing version of the Olly Whales viewer, but I think the below version is the one and same type. Been on eBay for a while at £499, came from Bridlington apparently with load of other Allwins etc most sold from a fire damage store. Looks mostly there apart from some card holders, cards and needing a lot of work....so decided not to risk it making an offer.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Early-WHAT-T ... SwOXRd6Ngi
Attachments
7FBA22A3-47FE-4609-A4D2-50DCF3710EB9.jpeg
117231CE-7196-411E-9EBD-CF8432564F8C.jpeg
B7A180FD-F316-407D-A57C-500041660275.jpeg
E5C2C729-FF52-474A-BA09-8970276DC493.jpeg
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Yes, definitely the same model. Interesting to see another example as I had wondered if it was a 'one off' due to the fact that a number of the table models have turned up, yet no other floor standing machines. Just a shame that after ten years of waiting the one which has surfaced does not have a top pediment - so still no idea if that part is original and what artwork it ought to feature.