Roto-Pool, Roto-Fruit, Rotolite, Electrodart, Bingola, etc.

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
emslots

Roto-Pool, Roto-Fruit, Rotolite, Electrodart, Bingola, etc.

Post by emslots »

(Several Roto-Pool, Roto-Fruit, Rotolite, Electrodart. Bingola, etc. topics merged - Site Admin)

Hi,
I have just taken delivery of an old electro-mechanical wall machine called Electrodart (once common in the arcades in the 'fifties and 'sixties).

Although cosmetically very good (has an excellent backglass and wooden case) it has a couple of problems electrically, so I was wondering if anybody had a wiring diagram that I could borrow, buy or copy - this is probably a tall order, but perhaps someone out there has some information, no matter how small?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks in anticipation.
Attachments
electrodart6.jpg
electrodart6.jpg (20.1 KiB) Viewed 23319 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I'm afraid I can't help - although I've had a few of these over the years, I don't have one now. There are several cosmetically different but technically similar games - Rotolite, Electrofruit come to mind. Your best bet may be to get together with a collector who owns a working example. The other route is to find a competant electician who likes tinkering. These machines are not very challenging to someone with a basic knowledge of electronics (that counts me out).

The crucial thing is the glass is in top condition. That's the hardest part to fix!

The manufacturer of these games took advantage of a flood of ex-GPO surplus components (relays etc.) that became available when the telecommunications system was upgraded.

I don't think I've seen any paperwork on these - but who knows? I'm constantly impressed by what other members of this forum come up with.

:*** Slotalot's Roto Pool Wiring Diagram now in Resources (01/03/10) :***
emslots

Post by emslots »

Thanks a lot for the info - I am an electronics technician, but I am baffled over this one, because it has been re-wired a fair amount. The push button start/stop has been replaced with a stop only button, so there are lots of wires now redundant. I would like to restore it to its original state if possible, but I may have to wait a while until I can get hold of one to compare the innards with!
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Sorry, I can't help either. I've had one of these in the past and eventually gave up trying to repair it. About a year ago someone was selling one with the manufacturer's circuit diagram. Unfortunately, the new owner never replied to my emails for a copy. I am sure someone in Pennymachines must be able to track down a circult diagram. Good luck - Cheeky!
emslots

Post by emslots »

Thanks for trying! I knew it wouldn't be easy to find information, but as you say, if anyone has it, this is the place to track it down....
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Just a thought - I don't think the button should be a start-stop button.
The light sequence starts as soon as you insert your coin. The "skill" button just stops the lights at whatever position they've reached when you push it.
emslots

Post by emslots »

The front panel glass has the words "Push to start, release to stop", so I assume it originally had a double pole switch fitted.

Perhaps later models had a single pole switch?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Oh. I was going on what I remember about the Rotolite. Seems the Electrodart is different.
Now someone will tell me I'm wrong about the Rotolite too.
Dave Hill

Post by Dave Hill »

Hi my name is Dave, just joined because I think I can help you.

I have an Electrodart in good origional working order, that may help you in some way. Email me via work and we can see if I can help.

Dave Hill (email removed to prevent Spam: Site Admin)

Talk to you soon
emslots

Post by emslots »

Just a quick update on progress with repairs - thanks to Dave Hill's excellent photographs, I have gathered some more clues concerning the operation of the unit (even though his was a later model with more relays inside!).

It seems that the play switch had been replaced in my machine, and was of the wrong type (should have been a push to make, single pole switch).

The only problems I have now are:

A. The unit does not pay out on winning numbers, and

B. Both of the overload cutouts have burned out (they appear to have a thermal coil arrangement, wound around a thermally sensitive metal strip, which breaks contact when the coil heats up through excess current flow) see attached photo. They cannot be replaced by modern circuit breakers, because they have a three terminal arrangement.

I suspect that the non-payout problem is connected to these faulty cutouts. Is there a possibility that someone could measure the resistance of a cutout coil in their machine, so that I can wind some new coils from ni-chrome wire? Even better, if anyone has two complete cutouts they can sell me, I will gladly purchase them.

I also notice that the bell is missing from my machine - presumably this rang when a winning number came up?

Any assistance will be received with grateful thanks!
Attachments
cutout.jpg
cutout.jpg (44.44 KiB) Viewed 22182 times
emslots

Post by emslots »

Yes, I saw it and have my eye on it as a spares machine! Could be just the solution I am looking for. I could see how the eBay machine is wired, and repair mine.....
GamesMaster

Post by GamesMaster »

The price of the Electrodart slot game can vary dependant on its condition, for example a good condition game that doesn't work will probably go for around £100 if sold to the right person. However, I sold an perfect condition Electrodart game with its wiring booklet, to an avid collector of 60s and 70s arcade games for £500, that is the top line for an Electrodart game. There are other games from around the same time as the Electrodart such as the Conveyor that can fetch a good £500 to £800 if sold, again, to the right person. There are many other games from that era that are much more popular than the Electrodart that can fetch more when sold.
I hope this helps you
GamesMaster
garythegolfer

Electrodart Wiring......

Post by garythegolfer »

Hi everyone,

I've just discovered your forum and discovered someone has the same problem as me! I also want a wiring diagram for an Electrodart.

A few years ago (OK, it was 44 years ago when I was about 11) I decided to build my own arcade machine. I had been a fan of the arcade machines ever since I was tall enough to reach the slots...and growing up at the seaside (Clacton), there were plenty of machines!

Anyway, I knew most were based upon the use on uniselectors so I set out to buy a couple of (cheap) uniselectors. I finally found a conpany that repaired arcade machines and made the 40 mile round trip to find them. I asked if they would sell me a couple of uniselectors. They said, "No" but that they had a few scrap machines and that I could have a look at them.

The first machine I spotted was an Electrodart, complete with its uniselectors. Now it just so happened that this was my favourite arcade machine....I used to quadruple my pocket money with profits from that machine in the early days......at least until I doscovered The Threepenny Derby!

Anyway, I bought the Electrodart (10 shillings; 50p) and struggled to carry my heavy prize on the train journey home.

I quickly gave up on the idea of designing and building my own machine: I now had my dream machine!!

Sadly, someone had shut the door of the wiring harness and cut ALL the wires. Then ,since the machine had been scrapped, the owners had cannibalised the machine for spare parts.

This Electrodart has travelled with me for over 40 years with the expectation that "one day" I would restore it. That day hasn't come yet but it is now getting MUCH closer! I did make life much more difficult for myself by starting but not finishing the restoration.

If anyone has got a wiring chart/diagram it would be MOST useful. Has anyone found a source of information for the Electrodart?

There must be some kind soul out there who is a fan of the Electrodart and either has a wiring diagram or is willing to help out us aficionados.

Thanks in Advance for all help
Gary

Slotalot's Roto Pool Wiring Diagram now in Resources - Site Admin.
arrgee

Roto Fruit and Electrodart

Post by arrgee »

Couple of odd looking machines on ebay at the moment, as can be seen by photos they are electronic but housed in a traditional wall machine wooden case.

Were these the early attempts at embracing the electronic age perhaps in the 1950's or early 1960's ? or just later machines that have been taken out of formica covered chipboard cases and put in these older ones.

Interesting that the green corner motifs of the Roto Fruit, draw reference on the early saxony metal motifs.

Does anyone know anything about these or have seen similar ones before ?
Attachments
Electrodart.jpg
Electrodart.jpg (34.79 KiB) Viewed 6447 times
Rolo Fruit.jpg
Rolo Fruit.jpg (35.2 KiB) Viewed 6446 times
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Rotofruit / Electrodart

Post by coin-op »

They are original machines in original cabinets (not sure about one of the cash doors from the pics); made, I think by Jamiesons probably late '50s?Problems with these machines generally are that they have a lot of electrical contacts, so often need to go through these to get them going and also sometimes the screen printed backglass starts to flake.
trevmo

Post by trevmo »

In the past I have owned both of these. They seem to have been produced using surplus GPO uniselectors from the old electromechanical exchanges,
plus a few relays.
Rather like the Little Stockbroker, they are not random, they pay out in a fixed pattern, despite the "skill" control.
Still quite fun though.
trevmo

Post by trevmo »

On second thoughts it wasn't a Rotofruit, it was a Bingola!! same idea though.
stoxman22

Rotolite help

Post by stoxman22 »

Hi everyone. The Rotolite that I bought from the auction needs a little more work than first appeared (don't they all). Has anyone got a circuit diagram? Or can someone with a working version of this game help me by measuring with a voltmeter the AC voltage on the secondary side of the transformer at the rectifier. See photo. Also I need to know where the centre tap wire goes and can you confirm that it is a centre tap for the lamps.
I would also like to know a manufacturer and date for this machine if anyone can help on that as well. :D
Attachments
Connection to rectifier
Connection to rectifier