Roto-Pool, Roto-Fruit, Rotolite, Electrodart, Bingola, etc.

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
operator bell

Re: Roto Pool Mechanism Hit and Miss!!!

Post by operator bell »

Good information on the flasher things, now we have it for future reference.

If your wire is 42 gauge it's about 110 ohms a foot. If you can even get a foot of it wound on that tiny thing without the turns shorting, which I doubt, it would draw about 1/3 amp and burn 18 watts. The original at 43 ohms would have pulled a reasonable 3.4 watts on 12V, but more like 50 watts in this circuit. It would take about 4 inches of wire to make 43 ohms.

<edit> all of the above is wrong, since your wire is 42 SWG. That's 38 AWG, and just for fun, 36 BWG for those of you who live in Birmingham. FWIW, they all agree that it's 0.1 millimeters.
garythegolfer

Re: Roto-Pool, Roto-Fruit, Rotolite, Electrodart, Bingola, e

Post by garythegolfer »

Hi again,

In case it helps, I have just posted my electrodart schematics in the resources section:

Electrodart Main Schematic (my Rev C)

These owe much to the earlier efforts of "Slotalot" and "Operator Bell".

I will update them if/when I find any errors. I am about half way through completely rewiring it. If/when I (ever) get this thing working, I will post more info/photos.

Hope it helps
garythegolfer

Re: Roto-Pool, Roto-Fruit, Rotolite, Electrodart, Bingola, etc.

Post by garythegolfer »

Finally, success: my Electrodart is now working (took just 53 years). !!THUMBSX2!!

I have just posted my (final?) Rev E schematics and updated "manual" in the RESOURCES section:
Electrodart Main Schematic (my Rev E)

This work was based on the earlier excellent work of Slotalot and OperatorBell.

This should help anyone trying to fix their Electrodart.

GaryTheGolfer
oneswitch500

Post by oneswitch500 »

Fantastic resources here, thank you.

I've picked up a sold-as-not working Rotodart fairly recently, and have had some time to work on it. I was worried it was missing some parts as it only has four relays under the two black uni-selectors. Picture here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/43klrt0ssra4m ... 7.jpg?dl=0
rotodart.jpg

After fitting a plug, fuse, remounting the transformer and soldering a loose wire to the rectifier, it came alive. A bit of fiddling got it coining up. Replacing some bulbs, and fiddling a bit with the four relays got it playing. When you win though, the bell jams on, and I have to unplug it, or release one of the contacts on the right-most relay (I think it's a relay).

It never goes into the process of spitting out coins, although the solenoid will kick out coins if I manually activate the contact points that trigger it. I've got a few questions....

1. Would the four relay version suggest one of the last built? Mine is numbered 500 ish off the top of my head.
2. The bulbs are a bit dim. Would using Deoxit or something like it on the left-most uni-selector help brighten things up?
3. What oil would people recommend to lubricate an Electrodart unit, and where would you (I guess all the moving metal parts)?
4. Would I be right in suspecting the timer-related component that works with heat, as to why the pay-out sequence is not being activated?

Huge thanks, and sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been answered.

Barrie
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

The original circuit could be simplified. It is possible that they cut out the start relay and run relay on this model. The sticking bell is, yes, a failure of one of the thermal timers that needs to open to step the payout. But wait! It may not be the thermal relay. It could be insufficient voltage. Those old selenium rectifiers have a lifetime, and yours will be about forty years past its sell-by date. If you can, measure the voltage across that capacitor in the clip. It should be more than 40 volts.

A fifty year old electrolytic capacitor is way past its normal lifetime and needs to be replaced anyway. Replace the capacitor with one the same capacitance or more, not less than 63 volts, and replace the selenium rectifier with a silicon bridge rectifier, 5 amps or more, 200 volts or more. I know, it's not original any more, but it may be working, which is better.

I hope you treated the woodworm. :tut
oneswitch500

Post by oneswitch500 »

Many thanks for your knowledgeable reply. I'll look into everything you mentioned. I didn't treat the woodworm, I (perhaps hopefully/naively) assumed it was old and long dead. I'll look into that too. :)

I'm keen to have the thing working over it being completely original. I might look at using the shell of the old capacitor, but I'm guessing there's quite a few of these out there, and mine's unlikely to be one of the best.

Cheers,

Barrie
oneswitch500

Post by oneswitch500 »

Couple more questions if you don't mind...

1. What do you think of these as replacement capacitors?

Either....
http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/V ... 7xtA%3d%3d or
http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/V ... 3f6KYK8%3d (250volts)

Aluminium Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 50uF 100volts
Aluminium Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 50uF 100volts
TVA_SPL.jpg (4.32 KiB) Viewed 8449 times

...to replace the large capacitor in the machine (marked Radiospares 50mfd - 50v.peak dry electrolytic British made capacitor).

And for the small capacitor connected to the array of four relays on my machine (marked 2uF 150v)....

http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/V ... I8RKauE%3d

Aluminium Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 150V 2uF
Aluminium Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded 150V 2uF
Vishay_TE.jpg (2.97 KiB) Viewed 8447 times

2. Bridge rectifier replacement:

I'm not quite sure how to go about this. I've replaced one on a Pinball machine (like for like), but looking on YouTube and hunting around, I'm still a bit in the dark as to how to proceed. Any extra guidance/pointers on this would be hugely appreciated. Meanwhile, I'll look into the wood-worm and Yale locks which need keys.

Thanks again.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

50 microfarads, that ain't much. 250V, huh. That was a common electrolytic capacitor in the days of valve radios, which is when the game was made, so I guess they took what was laying around. The ripple will be horrid. I answered your PM and recommended 1000 microfarads. You will find modern capacitors are tiny compared to the 1950's version so you can probably go to 2000uF or more to get the same case size. Big is good here.

The voltage on a capacitor changes by (milliseconds)(milliamps) per (microfarad). 50 cycle mains is 10 milliseconds per half cycle, the current drawn by a uniselector at 50 volts is about 200 milliamps, so the voltage drop will be 50*200/50 or 200 volts. Since you only have 50V to start with, that 50uF capacitor may as well not be there, though it may help stop the relays buzzing when the machine is idle.
oneswitch500

Post by oneswitch500 »

Had a little time to sit down with my Electrodart again. I've treated the woodworm, replaced the locks and renewed the capacitors and rectifier.

I'm getting 36 volts DC across the large capacitor (70 volts AC). Can't say that this doesn't slightly confuse me. However, the game is running bright and keenly apart from two main issues.

1. The bell stays ringing constantly on on a winning number, and the pay-out will not initiate (the machine will kick out three coins at a time if I press the actuator on the right-most relay assembly and step the numbers onwards one at a time normally - this is the only way to stop the bell ringing and locking up - including turning it off and on).

2. The thermal cut-out for holding the push-button too long doesn't work. Not too worried about this, unless it's a safety concern.

For the left-most thermal overload component...

A=Grey
B=Pink
C=Green (this wire nearest to me, is directly connected to the orange bell wire that I disconnected).

Green and Pink are normally closed.

Measuring across B and C gives me 00.2 to 00.4 on my multimeter (set to 200 Ohms). That seems far too low. If I measure across A and C I get strange behaviour. Sometimes quite high, sometimes nothing. Nothing like 40 Ohms though. Should I be doing this with the power off or on?

Any help hugely appreciated, as before.

Barrie
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Ok, let's try and clear up the confusion.

The difference between 36V DC and 70V AC can only be explained by a measurement error - the 70V is wrong. 36V would be just right if the transformer is 24V AC, which it probably is.

The delay heater coil is in parallel with the bell. The low resistance between B and C is because you're measuring a closed contact. The coil resistance can be measured between A and B, or A and C, but for one of those - probably C - the connection goes through the break contact, and pushing the probe on the terminal may disturb it and change the reading. I take it you disconnected the bell before you measured, else you're measuring the bell in parallel. Any resistance measurement through the delay heater is good, it shows it's not burned out.

You can't take resistance measurements with the power on!

When you hit a winner the circuit is closed to energize the bell and the thermal delay. The payout relay is shorted out by the delay contact and does not operate. When the delay heats up and opens, current flows through the coin slide home contact, the payout relay and the bell, though the current should not be enough for the bell and the delay to keep running. The payout relay latches itself on and sends power to the coin slide and the left uniselector, which pulls in but doesn't step yet. The coin slide moves and opens its home contact, but the payout relay is now latched on by its own contact. When the coil slide drops the coin it opens its end of stroke switch, which drops out the payout relay. The coin slide then drops back, and the left uniselector steps. If that was a 2 coin payout, it steps off the payout circuit and we're done, otherwise ... By this time the thermal delay may or may not have closed its contact again. If it has, the same cycle repeats. If not, as soon as the coin slide hits the home contact it re-energizes the payout relay for another step. UNTIL the left uniselector steps off the payout circuit.

The point here is that the thermal delay has one job, which is to delay long enough for the bell to sound and attract attention. You can remove it from circuit (but leave the bell in) and the mechanical delay of the coin slide going back and forth will accomplish the payout.
oneswitch500

Post by oneswitch500 »

Thanks for your detailed help. I'm learning lots. Lots to follow through. Meanwhile, yes I did remove the orange wire that leads directly to the bell to help take the readings.

I'm wondering if the thermal device is only for a short bell ring, would it not working stop the machine activating payout? The machine does not automatically trigger the coin payout mechanism at the moment.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Yes - if the thermal contact doesn't open, the payout relay will never operate because it's shorted out.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Forgot to post this version that sold at auctions earlier in the week for £240 " 3 Bells"

This looks to possibly be a replacement glass of other variations rather than original, but it looks high quality and I wonder if this was either a refurb vendor model or someone offering replacement glasses.....
Attachments
IMG_0345.JPG
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Interesting the same said machine is on eBay and the seller seems to state it has been in their dad's shed for years......mmmm odd as it sold at auction 4 weeks ago. Not sure I can be bothered to enquire how. I see why it is being sold on. Anyone guess what's missing.....

Still wonder if this is a real deal model as the silkscreen glass looks good and period.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112347483005? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Attachments
IMG_0385.JPG
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Haha - but even when you fit the new transformer it probably still won't work. I for one won't be going down that road again.
larry_d

Post by larry_d »

Hi,
I've just bought this machine from the person who bought it off Ebay on Friday. I haven't seen it in the flesh yet but I will pick it up this week. I can't understand the prices yet as I have bought it for £160. I'll report on condition and front glass when I pick it up. '!'
larry_d

Post by larry_d »

Finally got the machine home and it looks almost original particularly the front glass and the uni selectors seems good. No makers name but very much in the style Electrodart /Jamesons. Leaf switches only need a clean. However the bottom of the cabinet is damaged on the underside but is a fairly practical repair. Well worth the money compared to the silly prices some machines are making these days.
I am on the lookout for a transformer if anyone has one kicking about please !!THUMBSX2!!
oneswitch500

Post by oneswitch500 »

This is a bit of a long shot.... I have an ElectroDart, which seems fully working apart from the two delay heater coils.

1. Does anyone have any spare / replacement delay heater coils they would be willing to part with?
2. Is there anyone in the UK who might be willing to take a look at my machine? Ideally not too far from Essex or Oxford way.

I'd like to get it working as part of an exhibit of games that led to making gaming accessible for disabled people. I'm considering making it remote control accessible too, so that people can operate one for the first time, using the likes of head-switches. For people who don't have the physical strength or ability to reach the conventional push-button.

Any help much appreciated. Have tried but I'm hitting a wall in getting it to that last elusive stage of fully working.
coppinpr

Jamieson Roulette

Post by coppinpr »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Is this machine very common? I've not seen it before, I assume it's a Jamieson.
Attachments
a roulett.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Jamieson machine

Post by pennymachines »

Not very common for sure, but we've seen at least a couple here.

Revisiting the '3 Bells' which TF posted, there's another one here, together with speculation about its possible Shefras origin.