Rare Ace HiTop

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
aristomatic

Rare Ace HiTop

Post by aristomatic »

I have listed this slot in the Market tonight. Interesting machine - not your usual Hi-Top.
SV104682.JPG

SV104718.JPG

SV104723.JPG

I have shown pictures of the cabinet but it has a mechanism/escalator/jackpot etc.

I'd be interested if anyone else has one in their collection.

GP
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: RARE ACE HITOP

Post by badpenny »

When I saw the Star on the handle side, I thought Pace.

Then I remembered a thread on here a few years back where we were educated that Pace was also know at different times as Ace and even Space?

So are we saying here that Pace under one of their other names copied the Hi-top? (along with half of the rest of the world!)

Edited - to ask .... You only want 1np for it?
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Yes, Pace went onto Ace and then into... Space. The mechanism is Pace and yes, it's a Pace handle, star boss, and yes, it's for sale for just a penny plus a nice Win a Race Bonus Extra please.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Is this the same manufacturer 'Ace' that made all those electro mechanical Ace machines in the early 70's and right through to about 1983. I remember they had a rocker arm starter in the middle, hold features and often had racing themes, such as Monte Carlo etc.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I think the answer is no - I thought they were Ace Coin Equipment Based in Cardiff.....Pace/ACE/Space is a US firm.

Still, I've never seen one of these.....are the castings marked?
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Malcymal, yes - a company called Ace manufactured those classic e/m games like King of Clubs down in South Wales but Treefrog is correct that this Ace company was a US company formed after Pace finished circa 1950/1951. As usual ,slot history is full of somewhat conflicting information, however from various sources the timeline is something like this (others please feel free to correct/add/delete etc. below info at will):

Late 1950/early 1951 : US Firm Pace is sold and Ed Pace (then mid '70s) retires.

Following few years : Pace machines manufactured by Harold Baker (but then he dies?)

"Ace Manufacturing": Ace branded slots then manufactured by Father & Son Casey & Norbe Michaels, initially in Franklin Park Illinois, (not sure when they started) however, in 1958 it seems they also opened two other? sites in Reno, and in Glen Burnie, Maryland.

Sometime around 1961: Ace Manufacturing folds?

Sometime after 1961?: Space Company is formed/reincarnated from the old Ace Manufacturing by Earl Missler. This is based in Glen Burnie, Maryland too (maybe at same site?). I believe this company developed machines to compete with newly introduced Bally front opening jackpot hopper machines, but was not very successful.

Treefrog asks if the castings are stamped etc.

Inside of the slot cabinet it has the typical paper serial with the machine number (no date unfortunately). Paperwork print states company name as ACE MFG CO INC with detailed street name and GLEN BURNIE MD as address. Matching (to paper) the machine number is stamped into the upper cabinet base, centrally behind the back door slot groove. The matching machine serial number starts with MD....... (this could relate possibly as Maryland MD production?) The castings and trim are stamped MLB (obviously it has an "ACE" brand marquee trim above the reel glass and not Mills).

By the way, I am not saying that these were the original castings used at manufacturing point - they may or may not. The machine has a Pace mechanism which sits on a non-Mills/Sega baseplate. This baseplate is not a cast baseplate. The machine has a "Pace" star hub/boss for a handle. Interestingly, the coin entry and coin denominator surround trim piece has 6d but the 6d is not stamped or a badge over a generic trim but seems to have been maybe manually routed out of a plain generic trim. What I mean is the 6d is flat with normal surface of the trim. I have never seen a 6d original pressing, only 6d badges on Mills Hitops with this trim? (and the square inserts behind the casting on Bellomatic models of course).. This could have been added somewhat later of course. I have never seen another in England but have seen another (pictures) similar machine in the States.

GP
SV104909a.jpg

SV104916a.jpg

SV104904a.jpg

aristomatic

Re: Rare Ace HiTop

Post by aristomatic »

Another of these rare machines was on ebay at the weekend - well it had the Pace star handle and the special 6d coin entry. The reel-strips did not match the award card, so a mongrel of some kind and it had a Mills title strip and not Ace. Hopefully someone here snapped it up.
Attachments
ace hitop.jpg
ace hitop.jpg (5.27 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well a rare four reeler turned up today before being pulled...had read £425 before disappearing...shame bits were missing..
Attachments
IMG_0545.JPG
IMG_0544.JPG
IMG_0543.JPG
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Not sure if these top castings with the 4 reel window were made for or by Ace or whether they are a later addition. They do look maybe uglier than the other 4 reel options you see, but only a personal view. It seems to have the correct Ace mech and baseplate combination and Ace badge.

If you are a fan of lots of award combinations on the award card then it could be the machine for you.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Well this Ace 4 reeler has found a new home from today

No, I didn't buy it but I know the chap who collected today. It's found a good home and will be a winter project for him.