Frank Harwood invented the Allwin Deluxe?

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Frank Harwood invented the Allwin Deluxe?

Post by pennymachines »

I think we more or less solved the Seven mysteries of the Saxony allwin, but an eighth mystery I didn't raise (because I thought there was little hope of a definitive answer) was "who invented the Allwin Deluxe?" Very early, rudimentary allwins can be traced back to 1900 - Nic Costa cites the German-made Heureka (possibly Polyphon Musikwerke) as the first. From around this time we find similar British (e.g. The Imperial) and French allwins. I think it's generally believed that the classic Allwin Deluxe (and Allwin Reserve) design, which all subsequent allwins more or less followed, originated in Germany - not least because old-timers referred to such games as Saxony allwins. It also seemed likely, as most were made by Jentzsch & Meerz, that the design was perfected in Leipzig.

I've therefore always assumed that Birmingham-based manufacturer, Frank Harwood, made copies of "Saxony allwins", minus a reserve ball mechanism. Just before Christmas I received an interesting email from his granddaughter, assuring me that it was...
Frank Harwood who invented this product that I have attached the original design below. I know there have been questions as to where this was made. I can absolutely tell you it was made and designed in Birmingham in the 1920s by my grandfather Frank Harwood.
hawtins.jpg

The 1920s would be the right period for the introduction of this game and I note the flyer claims "LETTERS PATENTS HAVE BEEN APPLIED FOR". The game is titled the New Alternating Allwin De-luxe and appears to be the standard Allwin Deluxe design. Curiously though, it has the ball stop gate on the left (as discussed in the 7 Mysteries thread), which is surely only required on a Reserve Ball machine. !PUZZLED!
Also with Aluminium backs for outside use at slightly extra cost.
Manufacturer:- FRANK HARWOOD. 80a, Smallbrook Street, Birmingham.
Sole English Selling Agent: A CHAPMAN. 349, Greenland Road, Sheffield.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Frank Harwood invented the Allwin Deluxe?

Post by badpenny »

349 Greenland Rd Sheffield no longer appears to exist.
Greenland Rd in the late 20s early 30s was a main rd while now it's a double lane dual carriageway.
Number 349 would have been situated in what is now the central carriageway.

If you click this link you'll see a Google map next to the corresponding Ordinance Survey map for 1937 - 61

It looks as if 349 corresponds to just to the right of the "d" of Greenland.

So no point of dashing over there with white five pond notes. :#:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Likewise, Smallbrook Street disappeared when Birmingham centre was converted into a giant multi-storey car park (after Hitler had done his worst to it).
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Smallbrook Street was quite near to were William Thompson set up shop in Birmingham in the 1920s, I wonder if they were rivals??
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You mean the same woman? !UNSURE!