American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
treefrog

Sweetmeat & Nestlé's vendors

Postby treefrog » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:18 pm

Chiswick Auctions today, two cast iron vendors went under the hammer.....anyone know what they fetched?

The first larger one looked from the pictures in great condition, probably would go through the floor of my house though..
vendor1.jpg
vendor2.jpg

ilovemyjukebox

Re: Ultimate Vendors

Postby ilovemyjukebox » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:03 pm

The Nestle went for £2500 plus commission and the Sweetmeats went for £7000 plus commission.
Both went to a very prominent collector.

Dave

daveslot

Postby daveslot » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:24 pm

I was on the phone for these, but got blown away :( the Nestles looked to be in fresh paint, one of the cash doors was cracked and the artwork looked modern, but very rare. The sweetmeats was fantastic and even rarer, probably worth the price of 7k plus 24% commission, an extra 3% if you bid online, and 5% extra if you use plastic, oh and £5 per lot per day storage if you dont pick up by the next day.

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:35 pm

Blew the estimated price away... I was considering going down there, but somehow felt they would fetch money.... Suspect both have been repainted after all these years but still, as I said, must be the ultimate vendors, well British ones anyway..... !!THUMBSX2!!

JC

Postby JC » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:10 am

The buyer must be doing cartwheels at this moment - the Sweetmeats in particular sold for considerably less than I expected, even taking into account the rip-off commission.
Both went to a very prominent collector.

If it's who I think it is, I shall hopefully get to see them in the next couple of weeks.

ilovemyjukebox

Postby ilovemyjukebox » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:30 am

Both had been re-painted. The Nestle was missing a couple of enamels and apart from the damage to one of the doors it appeared to be in fine feltle.

The Sweetmeats was a better restoration. It had new glass too. Signs looked original. Missing seven enamels. Had fun trying to work out access to the cashboxes. No keys for either machine.

I had eyes for the Nestle and knew I wouldn't have got close to the Sweetmeat. They both went to a good home and are unlikely to be put to the market again.

There were five telephone bidders and internet bidders too.

Absoutely right about the 24% auctioneers cut.

Dave

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:49 am

Fantastic vendors! Compare and contrast with the double Nestle on a British Automatics Company stand that went for £5000 plus commission at Great Central Railwayana Ltd. in 2008. The later aluminium example, bottom, I just found on my hard drive. We like pictures, don't we? :D
Nestles.jpg
nestles.JPG

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:56 am

JC wrote:.........................If it's who I think it is, I shall hopefully get to see them in the next couple of weeks.
Did Sharon buy them then?

As for the auctioneers chunk :o , if that's how much they take when they want to remain friends with you so you'll come back again, how much do they take when they don't sell you anything and don't care about you?

daveslot

Postby daveslot » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:23 am

as for the auction, when i viewed monday, they could not tell me anything about them or even if they had keys or not, took me 30 mins to register and they needed photo i.d. and its impossible to park anywhere near, i also forgot about the low emission zone, seems motorhomes are subject to a £500 daily fine, must check if i qualify :shock:

ilovemyjukebox

Postby ilovemyjukebox » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:27 pm

The auction house has apparently had them for more than a month.

The Nestle machine wasn't sporting the original glass either.

Wasn't a completely wasted journey for me. Saw some stars from daytime TV. The auctioneer is frequently on these antique shows.

Dave