American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
slotalot

Re: Ultimate Vendors

Postby slotalot » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:42 pm

I have had this photo on my hard drive for a long long time, cant remember where it came from but I wonder if these machines managed to dodge the scrap man??? :oops:
Image451.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:18 am

Great picture Slotalot, but I doubt any of them escaped the melting pot.
I notice they're on the BAC round columns, like the one I posted earlier. At the time I was thinking it was a mismatch of stand and machine, but of course, Nestle vendors were made by BAC.

BAC contract to supply and maintain Nestle and other vending machines to the Midland and North East Railway Companies (superseding prior agreements between said rail co. and the Sweetmeat Automatic Delivery Company, Ltd.).

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:45 pm

More Nestle vendors trawled from the hard drive.
Nestle1.jpg
Aluminium Penny Red
Nestle1.jpg (30.61 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
Nestle.jpg
Cast Iron floor model

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:47 pm

Stuart it appears your photo may have come from Here

Although it is clearly pre 1950s.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:14 pm

I've done a bit of research into the Sweetmeat Automatic Delivery Co., Ltd. on behalf of the lucky buyer of that vendor. This sweet tin, that was for sale on ebay, would presumably have been dispensed from such a vendor. A purpose-made embossed, silvered tin - how far we've come from the age of elegance. It's marked with the original address of the company and shows the stylish typeface they were using at the time:
Sweetmeat Automatic Delivery Co. Limited
52, Southwark Street
London. S.E.
sweetmeatco.jpg
sweetmeatco.jpg (18.26 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
The company moved their offices to 14 Appold Street, London around 1904 before changing their name to the British Automatic Co. Ltd. in 1909. They also owned the chocolate factory of Reeves Ltd. in Barrowfield Street, Bridgeton, Glasgow (pictured below).
bridgeton-ext.jpg
bridgeton.jpg
A short résumé of the company can be found on the excellent Mal's Machine Tokens website (I'll put a link in the Archive).
BRITISH AUTOMATIC CO. LTD.

25 Nov 1887
7 Hanover Square, London W1R OPS
Automatic machines
History: founded in 1886 by Hore & Frampton who installed wooden automatic machine 'chocolate boxes' on railway stations in and around London with 452 installed in the first 9 months. Incorporated in 1887 as Sweetmeat Automatic Delivery Co Ltd. By 1903 the chairman was George A Touche, founder of the accounting firm of the same name. Moved offices from 52 Southwark Street, London to 14 Appold Street, London around 1904, and also owned chocolate factory of Reeves Ltd in Barrowfield Street, Bridgeton, Glasgow. Name changed to above in 1909 and was taken over by Associated Automatic Machine Corporation Ltd in 1929 which subsequently centred its activities in Appold Street. By late 1920s began to install weighing machines in various sites eg chemists, chain stores etc .............

coppinpr

Re: Sweetmeat & Nestlé's vendors

Postby coppinpr » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:45 am

Found this photo of vendors outside a shop in Freshwater IOW. Also another booze vendor, the legality of which escapes me. The man in the first photo is demonstrating how to hide behind an ice cream cone
vendors.JPG
booze vendor.jpg

arrgee

Postby arrgee » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:59 am

coppinpr wrote:The man in the first photo is demonstrating how to hide behind an ice cream cone
I think he is throwing up after eating such a cone. :lol:

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:39 pm

I think they must have been very popular,
as this lady seems to be enjoying hers, !ICECREAM!
I wonder how big the flakes are??? :oops:
ice1.JPG

treefrog

Nestle Vendor

Postby treefrog » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:14 am

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

I know no-one likes to talk prices on machines, but has anyone any idea what these aluminium Nestle vendors go for? Not that I have seen many for sale over the years, truth is I have no idea if we're talking - £250 or £1000... I appreciate it depends if complete and not damaged.
nestle.JPG

bryans fan

Re: Nestle Vendor

Postby bryans fan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:07 am

As you say they don't come up very often, so I think it is very hard to speculate on the price. I cannot recall seeing one. :!?!: