American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
arrgee

Re: Sweetmeat & Nestlé's vendors

Postby arrgee » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:03 pm

Well done Sweetmeats - brilliant restoration. !THUMBS!

What the heck does it weigh !!!!

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:03 pm

Well, I finally bought one being probably my all time favourite vendors in terms of theme, style and size. You probably saw it on the London auction site and have bid against me, but I lost control of my senses and probably again paid too much (have no money now for the Carter's sale).

With a low 60 to 80 estimate it ended more than ten times that....everyone in the auction room thought I was mad except the seller. He approached me and told me it's history. Had been in the family owned by his father and sat outside their sweetshop for many a year in Barnes.

The auction stated it was a later repaint, again wrong, but a very old job, with so much ageing with two or three layers curling, cracking and peeling. Original key and interior including weight, a time warp. This will not be restored, but maintained as it should.

Next job getting home, a one mile walk to the tube, two changes and 2 hour train journey. Finally leg a 20 minute motorcycle ride. This part of the journey was the most worrying as I do not think a spill would look kindly on the cast aluminium casting.

Anyway very pleased, will be interesting to see how much I overpaid with the Elephant one coming up in 10 days, although this is a later restore.much prefer a machine in original state with its history. :cool: :cool: :cool:
NestleVender.jpeg

polaris

Postby polaris » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:34 pm

Very nice tree frog I actually placed a bid at the weekend and by chance was home yesterday evening so logged in to auction. I, like many, was stunned and, as you say, will be very interesting to see what OEH one goes for. I do like this but far too much for me. :)

aristomatic

Postby aristomatic » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:45 am

Has this thread lost one or more posts?

GP

ilovemyjukebox

Postby ilovemyjukebox » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:05 pm

Nestle Animal Bars vend very nicely from this machine. I did wonder who outbid me.. "Wish you well to use it."

Dave

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:03 pm

aristomatic wrote:Has this thread lost one or more posts?
There was a post from TreeFrog asking if anyone had seen the recently auctioned Nestles. I think he deleted it after tracking down the machine and buying it. :lol:
Nice buy TF! !THUMBS!

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:35 pm

Put my hands up, I did post the previous day asking if anyone had seen the item, probably not wanting to admit I had. Anyway, I am happy, also goy an email from the seller giving the history and location where it had originated, nice to have provinance, unlike so many machines we have that quickly loses this.

May make some fake bars I think with early copies of wrappers, otherwise I will just keep eating the.

The machine Dave you mentioned a year ago for £895 I think was the same machine I enquired about and did not go for it purely because it was locked, no key and seller had never tried to address this. Too much of risk for me, I think it is still available.

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:10 pm

Well went to the Elephant and the vendor went for £1000 excluding commission. Main difference apart from the fresh paint, it was missing the lower wall lug, which I guess had got broken ans was ground off.

Best vendors ever IMO......
Nestle-1.jpg

ilovemyjukebox

Postby ilovemyjukebox » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:09 pm

How much did the one beside it go for???

Dave

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:15 pm

340 comes to mind, but I am sure I will be corrected.

There was a time I use to write all the prices down, getting senile now