American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
arrgee

Re: Sweetmeat & Nestlé's vendors

Postby arrgee » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:19 pm

coppinpr wrote:the older man standing by the shops dog in photo 2 is my grandfather
Can't imagine Tesco or Sainsbury's having a shop dog Paul. I had a part-time job in my teens working in a grocery shop - if you have ever watched Open All Hours, then this was the exact forerunner, the owner sold all sorts of stuff, meat, cheese, canned food, fresh food, sweets, Dr Whites, Dettol, Omo etc etc etc. I well remember lifting up sides of bacon on my shoulder and carrying them round from the store room to the shop - but prior to this I would need to scrape away the fly blows first !! :shock:

ilovemyjukebox

Postby ilovemyjukebox » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:58 pm

The clever mechanism you mention Neil, I have only ever seen in Kodak Machines of that era and on some of the larger floor machines.

I'm slowly being dragged back into vending after fighting the urge and going cold turkey for a while now..

Got to resist the temptation.

alan57

Postby alan57 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:13 pm

Hi Dave
Pleased to hear you're now not selling off all your collection.
Alan

aristomatic

Postby aristomatic » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:50 pm

Mr PM, please feel free to merge split etc these last couple of posts.

Here's a pic of mine in Mackintosh livery.

Mine had part of a marquee frame above the glass window - you can see the holes. Of course, as I've not seen another previously, I wouldn't know if the part is original to the machine or not? If others have the same machine in any livery I would appreciate any pictures they have - thanks. I have attached an image of the twin spring loaded inner vending tray as it's quite unusual certainly, although Dave, who is vastly more experienced in these, states he's seen similar in Kodak machines too?
20181120_173053a.jpg
20181120_173204a.jpg

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:43 pm

Aristo, since there doesn't appear to be an old decal or any art on the paintwork itself, then I'd assume the frame was there so the operator could quickly alter the advertising to suit whatever package or flavour etc. Operators are notoriously lazy so nobody would've bothered to remove old graphics off the case if they were just covering them up. That same laziness has been a blessing as it's helped me out countless times with original graphics and details hidden away waiting for me to find them!