Nearly got it!

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
andy d

Nearly got it!

Post by andy d »

Hi all,

After arriving home from Coventry armed with my Lucky Devil Bandit, Allwin Deluxe & bag of sixpences, I decided to have a few pulls.
Anyway, it quickly became clear that there was a lack of Cherry payouts, both a single Cherry (2 coins) and two Cherries (5 coins). After a bit of searching on the forum, I decided to 'Go in'. I quickly noticed there was a spring missing on the first payout finger. So I fitted a new spring (I knew that bag full of mixed springs would come into it's own).

Still have a problem though. It pays out for two Cherries no problem. However, the single Cherry payout is still lacking. It worked a couple of times, but it tends not to be instant, in fact sometimes it doesn't work at all, and once it seemed like it took 15 seconds.

Any ideas?

PS Great resource by the way! I suspect I may have found the answer with some more digging;
highfield

Re: Nearly got it!

Post by highfield »

I had a similar problem with my hi-top. I took mech out of case and found the safety slide was preventing payment. This didn't happen when 5 coins were paid as the weight of 5 coins ensured they dropped. But with two coins they held up, sometimes dropping later. I filed open the aperture on the safety slide and it now pays perfectly, every time. Possibly yours might have same problem
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Start with easy fixes before altering anything permanently.
Make sure the slides are clean and moving easily, money's not called filthy for no reason.

If you don't know how to do that: -
Dismantling
Take mech out of case.
Remove the payout tube (secured in place by screw at top, accessed between vertical levers on right side)
Lift tube out.
Scrabble around on floor picking up coins.
Undo 4 screws holding slide cover on and remove.
Detach slides springs from the back of the mechanism.
Remove slides (taking care to keep in right order)
Clean top bottom and sides of all slides, do not lubricate.
Ensure the frame they sit in is also clean.

Remantling
Do the above in reverse, remembering to curse when you realise the springs hanging off the backs of the slides aren't long enough to reach through and you have to fashion something like a dentist's pick to reach through and catch them.
Also after you've reassembled everything and discovered how awkward that last screw is to get back in place to secure the payout tube you'll get the opportunity to swear some more .... why? Because you'll have to undo the tube again because you forgot to reinsert the overflow rake off lever at the top. In fact you'll have to look for it carefully because it's swung down behind the tube and is out of sight.

Enjoy!
andy d

Post by andy d »

highfield wrote:I had a similar problem with my hi-top. I took mech out of case and found the safety slide was preventing payment. This didn't happen when 5 coins were paid as the weight of 5 coins ensured they dropped. But with two coins they held up, sometimes dropping later. I filed open the aperture on the safety slide and it now pays perfectly, every time. Possibly yours might have same problem
Thanks for the rapid response. !!THUMBSX2!! That sounds very feasible.

Thanks also BP. I will try to maintain the humour in your reply, as I boldly go where no Latvian has gone before. !PUZZLED!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The Little Devil was mine and was OK, BUT it's been sitting idle in JC's storage since the Nov auction when I had to leave early and he kindly held it till this auction. As we all know only too well, lack of use is a main reason for sticky payouts. Also over 500 miles of moving about in the back of a van doesn't help (that's most likely where the finger spring took flight). The single cherry payout works differently from all the others and the horizontal finger, being usually at the bottom, gets sticky when left unused. Check it's moving freely and the spring is OK.
That machine was an old friend of mine - I'd hate to think he's unwell. I was always proud of the slight crinkle finish I got re painting the case. I never got one as good since. Let me know when he's well again. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

As Coppin mentions play or lack of can be a big cause of these types of issues. Also there is not much tolerance on the single cherry and double as it uses the same finger. Sounds like the initial movement is not enough or perhaps the spring you're using is not strong enough, or getting snagged.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

I had that "delayed cherry payout" on my Aristocrat. It took five to fifteen seconds to drop. The reason was someone had oiled or greased the slides.