American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
raj

Scarborough Fair Collection... help wanted

Postby raj » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:49 pm

http://www.scarboroughfaircollection.com/

I had the chance to visit this excellent attraction today, situated between Filey and Scarborough. Housed in a modern complex, there are a number of fairground rides, steam powered traction engines, vintage cars and an impressive collection of fairground and cinema organs. £7.50 to get in, open Wed-Sunday. For the slotties, there are around a dozen allwins, working models, cranes, a merchandiser etc. The help wanted, in the title, is that half the allwins are out of commission due to faults, and they can't find anyone to fix them. I live too far away to call back, but if anyone nearby could get in touch and offer to help, I'm sure they would be grateful. Contact is 01723 586698

slotalot

Re: Scarborough Fair Collection...help wanted

Postby slotalot » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:05 pm

I have offered my services twice but they never got back to me :!?!:

moonriver

Postby moonriver » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:16 am

Scarborough Fair Collection is where the majority of the allwins and other machines ended up from the gruesome twosome dodgy Ebay couple from Leicester who sold me a bundle of several machines and when I returned with van to collect them had resold the best two to this guy.

I was told at the time by them that everything was working, and having checked myself found that the majority certainly weren't working and some had parts missing. The Scarborough guy has certainly been stitched up and parted with a considerable sum of money (I know how much).

When later challenged as to the condition of the machines, the gruesome twosome (following their move to Skegness and having invested their recent windfall in a bed & breakfast guest house) made out they had recently split and no longer had transport, otherwise they would have been more than happy to drive up and get the machines going.

I have since taken comfort in winning the very last Ebay auction they did before leaving Leicester, which unlike all their others they pulled before the end I actually won a Kraft 'Haunted Room' (which they had run previously and pulled) - a rare machine and the very same one featured in Darren's book which I consider to be a bargain at £2,000.

It did take a friend to bid for me and weeks of wrangling including every excuse under the sun from them, but eventually got it collected with a carefully executed plan that Thomas Crown would have been proud of.

Someone less charitable than me would definitely have been browsing Skegness bed & breakfasts on Tripadvisor.

jimmycowman

Postby jimmycowman » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:27 am

That's a good read...... So have the ten allwins never worked since they were hung up because they have missing parts? Not a simple case of a coin jam then???? !PUZZLED!

I just looked on the link and cannot find any photos.... Has anyone got any photos?

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:08 pm

Don't you get the magazine Jimmy? I did a story about it last year.. . !READ! with photos.. !!PHOTO!!

http://www.mechanicalmemoriesmagazine.co.uk

raj

Postby raj » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:23 pm

The staff said that they had all been repaired, but had failed over a period of time, suggesting that they should be complete.

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:18 pm

I find that hard to understand as it has only been "up and running" for a few weeks, at best, if you take the Christmas shutdown period into consideration. !PUZZLED! I was there in November and they were still fitting the display out... It looks like a case of bodge it and !!ESCAPE!! .. lol.

jimmycowman

Postby jimmycowman » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:54 am

Do you recall what month the story was in the magazine? !PUZZLED! Last year.... don't know how I missed that !PUZZLED! !WHOOPS! :woops:

chris roadhog

Postby chris roadhog » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:08 am

This topic just confirms how difficult it is to set up and successfully run a penny arcade. At the risk of blowing my own trumpet, my last exhibition ran for 15 months operating 50 odd machines all working 99% of the time. Few people would see the work going on till late hours of the night and the early starts. I do remember Mr slotalot mentioned the Scarborough fair collection when he called at mine and I'm very surprised they didn't take him up on his services! Just for the record Mr slot is one of the best all round engineers I've ever worked with. I hope Scarborough Fair read this post.

coin-op
Forum Moderator

Postby coin-op » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:42 pm

chris roadhog wrote:Mr slot is one of the best all round engineers I've ever worked with.
I have to say that I agree. He has generously guided me through a few challenges - thank you!