Scarborough Fair Collection... help wanted

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
slotalot

Re: Scarborough Fair Collection...help wanted

Post by slotalot »

Thanks for those kind words chaps :woops:
The cheque will be in the post first thing Monday ;-)
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

chris roadhog wrote:This topic just confirms how difficult it is to set up and successfully run a penny arcade.
I agree. Unfortunately, I didn't make it to your arcade before everything had to go into storage. It shows those who like the idea of operating their collection but never got around to it that it's incredibly hard to do so and make money (rather than doing it for love) on operating vintage machines alone.

The footfall and space required, combined with the commercial rent and rates just to be in a good location, plus costs, electricity, security, insurance, public liability, staff wages, before anyone even walks through the door (and of course the British weather to contend with during the season) is hard work. Unless heavily subsidized on rent, or teaming up with another successful attraction, the investment and running costs are hard to justify. I hope you find another good location soon.
As far as our Mr Slot is concerned - he's a real gem!
chris roadhog

Post by chris roadhog »

You've just hit the nail there Mr Moon! Next time I set up shop I will send Mr Slotalot out in a "magical mystery tour bus" to collect all fellow slotties from far and wide! No excuses then ha ha!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Ha ha OK. The trouble with that is none of them would spend any money!
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

chris roadhog wrote:You've just hit the nail there Mr Moon! Next time I set up shop I will send Mr Slotalot out in a "magical mystery tour bus" to collect all fellow slotties from far and wide! No excuses then ha ha!
Ready when you are Chris... :o
Attachments
10689504_886336258064770_1893905301627087160_n.jpg
chris roadhog

Post by chris roadhog »

HA HA! that is so funny mate, I can see you at the wheel cruising along. :HaHa:
classicgambler

Post by classicgambler »

By looking at their website, it looks OK but nothing in there to say anything about old allwins or working models or even one arm bandits but I suppose it's building on that. Looks like they have a good collection of old rides too. It reminds me of our place in Dingles. I'm sure some of you guys would love to visit us one day - loads of old machines in our penny arcade and loads of other machines scattered around too, including old pinball machines, but I must add that while there are over 70 machines in Dingles, and it gets packed out, trying to keep them running all day WHILST people put in different coins in the wrong slot and not the right coins is a very big challenge. But it's what I love doing to say the least.
chris roadhog wrote:I will send Mr Slotalot out in a "magical mystery tour bus" to collect all fellow slotties from far and wide! No excuses then ha ha!
I WANT ONE - I'm loving that. :D
chris roadhog

Re: Scarborough Fair Collection... help wanted

Post by chris roadhog »

We visited Scarborough Fair yesterday and quite enjoyed it, they were having a tea dance and the OAPs defo having a ball!
Having invested millions into purpose built buildings filled with steam engines,fairground rides,vehicles,organs and a ballroom,why have an arcade displaying dead machines yet giving you the option to buy 5 old pennys for a pound?
Maybe a simple sign saying "display only" then if and when they get fixed it could be an added bonus to give a few pennys with your £7.50 admission charge? just saying.........
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Good idea Chris, perhaps they'd also like to offer the admission refunded to any slottie prepared to have a shufty and unblock a machine?
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Has anyone been to the Scarborough Fair Collection recently? I wondered if the penny machines had been repaired yet?
brigham

Post by brigham »

I called in over Easter. The arcade aspect was certainly not high on the priorities list, although I came away about fourpence up, from the few working Wondermatics.
I didn't count, but I got the impression that there were as many out-of-order as working. Only one position of a Rotary Merchandiser was working, but it was largely irrelevant, as it contained no swag!
The set-up is delightful. It just needs a keen mechanic to pull it all together.