Cash Registers

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

Cash Registers

Post by coppinpr »

True this isn't a slot machine, but it has a lot in common with them, built to hold money in a public place just like a slot, so built like a safe (and as heavy). It's a master piece of 100% mechanical engineering.

When I retired my manager took over my business and as part of his refurbishment and in keeping with the antique style of the business he bought this NCR till, on Ebay for only £125 (I suspect because it was in Exeter and no one wanted to go that far to collect it.)

In working order (just) but perhaps the dirtiest machine (inside and out) I've ever worked on. I said I'd restore it for him. It's been great fun, but hard work.
A little research revealed it was made at their main factory in Dayton, Ohio, in late Jan 1911. It is possible for the serial number plate on the front to be replaced with another giving a later machine an early date, so I traced the serial number on the internal frame to check and it is the same as the front plate. Several press keys were removed when it was converted to decimal currency, which is a shame, but as he wishes to use the till it's best it is decimalized, even if the amounts are a little outdated.

The keys were long gone but I managed to pick the two (of 5) locks I needed to gain access with my trusty lock pick set, only to find replacement keys are rare and about £40 each so it's up to him if he wants to replace them.
The outside condition leads me to think it was in a pub for many years as it had a coating of nicotine so thick you could scrape it off with a knife. The inside looked as if it had not been opened for 60 years. The inside was fairly easy to clean and oil and now even the bell sounds happier.
The outside was very hard work, 2 tubes of Autosol proved the best way with a power drill driven hard polishing rag mop. Brasso did the final polishing, but I did get every bit of crap off. I had to totally dismantle the till to be able to clean each part correctly though. The till roll holder on one side was particularly difficult with its fine grooved sides. The front top glass was still in place but the top and rear glasses were missing so I've had new ones cut (not fitted in the photos) All the small glass parts were still there but so dirty you could not see through them. The numerous counters are works of art. I don't think they could ever wear out. Perhaps the most interesting is the six inch long brass one in the second photo (right at the top of the open lid) which actually counts the number of times the lid is opened to gain access to the other counters. The pounds and pence counter needs a key to reset it. I re-painted and re- lined the cash draw and re-stained the wooden base. Bought new numbers for the pop up indicators but thought I'd struggle to restore the key pads as they were so bad. In the end very fine wire wool brought them up like new.
Well now it's ready to start life again (which is what I really like to do in this hobby), he's turned down £500 for it already.
It was hard work, but I learned a lot and the end product is fantastic... don't you think?
till1.jpg

till2.jpg

till3.jpg

treefrog

Re: not a slot machine,but very like one

Post by treefrog »

Do like these tills, but as you say they weigh a ton....I do have one below with the nickel plate in good condition. Wouldn't mind a candy store one as they are so much smaller. I too wouldn't travel to Exeter for one though

The keys are easy to get hold of, as I believe they are all the same and numbered 1 to 5. I bought a complete original set all stamped up for £15 from a UK seller, but are also on the US site.
Attachments
Ipswich-20130727-00301.jpg
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Nice tills - I have one as well. I see from the above photos they're both missing the top plaque that says 'AMOUNT PURCHASED' .... Anyone know where I may get one? !PUZZLED!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I believe most of the UK ones did not have the top plate as it was not popular here. do you know if the top plate attached through the single hole in the edge plates that hold the glass? what are the dates and model of the two mentioned above?

Fancy building the the thing like a safe and then having all the keys the same!! !PUZZLED!
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

The one I've seen was attached each side of the glass. I'm not sure on dates. !PUZZLED! There must be a way to tell?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

As Coppin says most of these in fact did not have the top marque. They were more common in US. There are lots of repro ones as well. Personally I do not like them and would only replace if it was designed for one, usually two holes on top clamp. They also custom made them for the owners personalised wording
http://www.brassregisters.com/ncr/info/5ts.htm

There is a website, just google it, where you can check serial number to year. Mine is 1908....
http://www.brassregisters.com/ncr/info/dates.htm
cheeky

Re: Not a slot machine, but very like one

Post by cheeky »

coppinpr wrote: and the end product is fantastic... don't you think?
Oh yes. A beauty! What a fabulous restoration. Well done, yet again. !!THUMBSX2!!
slotalot

Re: Not a slot machine, but very like one

Post by slotalot »

Back in the early 1980s when I worked in antique metalwork restoration we spent about a month polishing and lacquering 100s of National cash registers, they all went to the States in a container, they were not interested if they worked or not, but they had to look good !THUMBS! They had all been sitting in a warehouse since decimalisation made them redundant........ a bit like our own beloved machines.. :D