Bryans Twelvewin Clock restoration

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
alan57

Bryans Twelvewin Clock restoration

Post by alan57 »

Picked up my new project for the Autumn today. The guy I bought it from said it was a 6 Win, turns out to be a 12 Win!!
Not sure if this has a jackpot win though. It also had a part inside loose on the floor of the machine. Does anyone know if it may belong to this machine and, if so, what does it do? It is also missing the chrome trim around the payout slot. Does anyone have one they may want to sell?
gameswat

Re: Bryan clock 12 win unknown part

Post by gameswat »

That handle isn't from the machine, looks like some kind of winding handle from a toy or kitchen aid? There once was a jackpot according to the jackpot casting window on the left side, and someone has added a hand cut alloy security screen to stop theft. Do you think it was disconnected by removing parts or that it was never installed at all? A few interior photos should help out. If adjusted correctly the jackpot should pay with both handles at 12 oclock. These are famously unreliable though as a pretty basic design which is strange for Bryan who tended to do great things most of the time.
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Added some more pictures, the chrome detail around the Jackpot window? seems to be glued to the front - no screws!, unless they was secured from inside the cabinet. I don't want to force it off as I could damage the wood.
Ideally looking to take the working from the frame in order to give it a good cleaning and oiling.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

The jackpot looks to be complete which is good. That jackpot frame is probably glued in place by varnish that has seeped underneath. Looks like there is the remains of one screw hole for the payout casting on the lower left side. But not sure why the others aren't showing? I do remember that on some of mine the screws were right on the edge of the wood though. Possibly they cut the wood slightly too large and bolted the casting on with washers inside?
raj

Post by raj »

You will struggle to get the right original chrome plated screws for the Clock without paying silly money, however 3.5 mm electrical socket nickel plate screws and similar bolts will do fine @ a few pence each from Screwfix or similar.
alan57

Bryans clock 12 win (old type) cash box

Post by alan57 »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Did the Bryan's 12 win clock (old type) have a cash box? If so, does anyone have a picture of it. Failing that, I will probably end up using an old toffee tin or something similar.
john t peterson

Re: Bryans clock 12 win (old type) cash box

Post by john t peterson »

Alan,

Pictures below. The interior picture of the box is a little dark. The bottom is not square; it has cutouts for some reason.
The dimensions:
width: 7"
depth: 3"
height: 8 1/8"
Good luck with the reproduction. (Maybe you're a junior Gameswat?)

John Peterson
Attachments
IMG_2125.JPG
IMG_2127.jpg
IMG_2126.JPG
IMG_2124.JPG
IMG_2123.jpg
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Thanks !!THUMBSX2!!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

John, I see you have left the raffle ticket (139) on the Wonders Allwin
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

"They're dead, wrapped in plastic."

john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Terrific eyesight, Arrgee. I thought I'd lost that winner for good. Now, I can collect my money and go buy those Bryans magic machines at the Chicago auction! @&@

J Peterson
No tickee - no washee in America
alan57

Bryans clock 12 win (old type) adjustments

Post by alan57 »

Can someone help me on my 12 Win Clock adjustments?
It seems to pay out in either 1 or 3 or 7 coins, sometimes it pays out correctly but not very often. I assume the red painted screws and nuts have something to do with fine tuning the mechanism, but not sure what adjusts what??
Also is there a right and wrong way to set the hands on the clock, am I right in thinking setting the hands when the mechanism is on jackpot slot at 12 o'clock is the way to go about it.
13rebel

Re: Bryans clock 12 win (old type) adjustments

Post by 13rebel »

Alan, re. your payouts, I suggest you start by ensuring all the coins in the payout hopper are of uniform thickness, e.g. Queen Elizabeth. Looking at the hopper arm, there should be a vertical threaded rod that goes up to the pecker blade arm. This has a nut on the bottom (it may be painted red) that can be turned to fine tune payouts. I suggest you try turning it half a turn in either direction and trying the payouts. Keep doing this until you are happy with the payouts. It may take some time, but eventually it should work with any date of penny. It is worth checking that the plate that sits in front of the hopper is neither too tightly up against the hopper, nor too far away from it, causing slop. There is an adjuster (painted red) for the jackpot slot on the sprung loaded finger on the wheel that the pecker blade goes into. Ensure this gap is sufficient by turning the adjuster. It won't need much turning.
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Thanks Tony for the help and advice much appreciated !!THUMBSX2!! .
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

alan57

Bryan's 12 win clock little hand/cog wheel damage

Post by alan57 »

Not sure if this is a common problem on the Bryans clocks, but I noticed on mine the little hand on the clock was jumping back when nearing the 12 o'clock position. On closer inspection, I noticed a couple of teeth on the little hand cog wheel were slightly damaged. The machine now pays out correctly, i.e. 2 pennies, 4 pennies and 8 pennies, but I'm just concerned the jackpot will be effected as the little hand, as mentioned, jumps back when at the 12 o'clock position.
Can the teeth be repaired or will I need to find a better replacement part? Does anyone have a little hand cog wheel in good condition they want to sell?
IMG_0752.jpg

gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Just needs a spot of brazing on the damage or hard silver solder then file those two teeth to a point again.

If the wear had been a lot worse I'd have suggested just buying a new gear. Knowing Bryan he'd have bought stock gears for all his machines which will be easily available from many suppliers as used in all sorts of older and modern machinery. I've been able to quite easily buy gears for a handful of 1890s machines that were missing parts or had been electrified and needed new clockworks making. Sometimes there could be small amounts of machining needed to fit the gears onto certain shafts etc but that's the easy part. I have had special gears cut before and can cost lots of money depending on how much set up time is required.
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice. !!THUMBSX2!!
Payout and clock now work as they should,
IMG_0754.jpg