American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
brandojames

Re: Bell-Fruit Manufacturing Co. bandits

Postby brandojames » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:32 am

Thanks for the reply, I’ll study up.
It’s a fun machine to play haven’t gotten the giant jackpot to see it that works yet....

There a place to find new reel art? I know I won’t find glass or case parts for this but fresh reel art would be nice.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:49 am

In Archive/Services we have: https://www.slotmachinereelstrips.net/
but I don't think any American reel strips carry the strawberry symbol. An alternative is to make your own in Photoshop or the like and either print them yourself or have them printed professionally.

coppinpr

Bell Fruit Metal Badge

Postby coppinpr » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:35 pm

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Currently working on a late model Bell fruit machine (needs a lot of work but in the past I've found these can really come back to life with a little work) having stripped down the door completely ready to work on the chrome I took a close look at the badge.

badge.jpg

I've been re-painting the background on the mostly enamelled metal badge. It occurred to me that this must surely be the most delicately made and complex badge on any bandit. A close look reveals two lions playing one arm bandits, a shield featuring an orange, plum, bell and cherry (complete with tiny green leaf) and a club (?) The central chevron shows a human arm pulling a bandit handle. The words would have been better in Latin, but we are talking late '60s here. These badges (and the large "Bell Fruit" low down on the door were made by Fattorini & Sons in Birmingham at their Bradford works in Barr Street. The quality is not surprising once you know that Fattorini and sons were (as they still are today) a jewellery firm who made (among other things) sports trophies, masonic regalia, watches, swords and it would seem one armed bandit badges. In fact the humble Bell Fruit badge moved in illustrious company, the firm still holds a royal warrant as "insignia makers to the the Queen" and I found this showing they made the badges for Rolls Royce, Aston Martin, Lotus and Jensen among others.

fattorini.jpg
fattorini.jpg (13.27 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
The old factory still exists in its original form although Fattorini don't own it now. I wonder if they ever made any other slot related badges?

https://goo.gl/maps/stgU4xMFYvv
fattorini.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bell Fruit Metal Badge

Postby pennymachines » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:05 pm

I recall we discussed Fattorini and these badges in 2014. I used to get brass payout cups spun at a factory on the same street. The Birmingham Jewellery Quarter retains some of the old industrial spirit of the city; a warren of small factories and workshops offering bespoke metalworking of all kinds. The area features in BBC Radio 4 Extra's recent Precious Metal programme about silversmithing.

coppinpr

Re: Bell Fruit Metal Badge

Postby coppinpr » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:52 pm

Well, the badge is back in place having finished the poor old Bell fruit. Just waiting for its three new locks (3? anyone know why these have a back door? Nothing can be accessed from the back, not even the cash box or removal of the mech. !PUZZLED!
These must be the worst machines for having bolts in in-accessible places. I'm guessing the apprentices were given the job of fitting those rails round the cash tray... a nightmare! They fitted a great lift off front door then stuck at least 10 bolts in places you can't reach!!

I like working on machines like this that come in so bad you don't mind making changes. The chrome was pretty bad, lots of rust, especially round the badges, but as usual with these it must have been good quality in its day as it polished up pretty well. All bar one slide was missing but an ad on the forum produced a set for sale on Ebay :lol: I couldn't convince myself to re paint the case in the original "baby poop" green so tried a red powder coat spray can which did a very good job. Lights all working with not even a tube to change. The clock was interesting to dismantle and service - does not work on the same principle as the Mills type clock, fewer parts to go wrong.

So another machine saved from the dump and given a few more years life, which can't be a bad thing.
cop a lot.jpg
finished 2.jpg
IMG_9903.jpg

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:19 pm

Very nice !!THUMBSX2!! never owned a Bell Fruit usually put off by flaking artwork or chrome, but one day......

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:15 am

for anyone wanting to see a selection of Bell-fruit machines a new Bell-fruit page has just been added to the www.penny-arcade.info site
http://www.penny-arcade.info/the-bell-fruit-

brigham

Postby brigham » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:58 pm

Just to prove once again that I don't know what I'm talking about, I've found a picture of the 'sadly decimal' BFM Action Line with a half-crown accepter!
(One play, plus four tanners change).
Anyone remember it pre-D-day? It's back on my 'wants' list.

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:50 pm

Having discussed the over the top design of their machine badge I found today this equally over the top design on one of their tokens. As well as the usual orange, plum, lemon and cherry, there is also a pixie, a shamrock, a wishbone, a horse shoe and... a strawberry.
bell fruit token.jpg

out of date fruit

Looking for some case parts for Bell Fruit Cop-a-Lot

Postby out of date fruit » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:56 pm

Hello everyone I’m new here just purchased my first machine to restore and am looking for some parts.
I’m in need of a rear door and the cash box that goes in the bottom has anybody got these available?