Mills Melon Front

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
treefrog

Mills Melon Front

Post by treefrog »

Not a machine you see very often in the UK, but probably my favourite of the Hi Top variants is the Melon Front.
Great colours and stands out from the rest.

I picked this one up on my trip to Whitley Bay after the Coventry auction. It is an origianl Mills machine with the token vendor removed and converted to 1D, I assume back in the 50's/60's... Has original paint in good conditon, Mills lock and mechanism. Even has a proper 1D escalator hidden by a dark screen for some reason.

I like the Hi Tops that had painted sides, this with matching green, often removed by people. Will do a mechanism strip down as is tired slow and dusty, but once done will lool great next to my Aristocrat Mad Melons.

There has been a couple for sale over the last 5 years at the Elephant House, in fact one was in the last auction. I did consider this, but was tired and wasa a mixture of Sega and Mills parts. In fact the front casting was a later type and two tone green. I have seen one like this before about 8 years ago with the same colour scheme, so wonder is this was the early efforts of Sega supplying models using combo parts. Problem is both the Sega one's I have seen have worn faded Melon castings at the front, which put me off as this is the best part.

Anyway for now one to keep and enjoy

Ipswich-20151207-00101.jpg

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Mills Melon Front

Post by badpenny »

Very nice TF, I've never seen one in the flesh (so to speak) I can certainly see the attraction though. Mills machines with Sega parts ( if not a complete mech) has, and will always be a problem. The additional issue is the vendor will hold out for the highest price and be quite happy to ignore part numbers, while newcomers may not realise and pay top whack!

BP :!?!:
ps Just out of curiosity what does The Aristo. version look like?
pps Mr. P. - for the record I have done nothing to my settings or laptop but suddenly my "Text enter boxes" are back where they should be and I can now use ....
:HaHa: :lol: :cool: ;-) !PUZZLED! :!?!: :o !OMFG! :burp: SkEpTiCaL
junior

Post by junior »

Now that does look good,worth the trip!! ( you've gota put in the miles). Good work
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

The Aristocrat Mad Melons is not like the Mills machine, just has the Melon theme and had mine a long time now, bought from a fellow collector in Burnham-On-Sea about 7 years ago......still a machine that is top of my favourite list. Interestingly, liking Aristocrats, have seen very few good one's come up for sale in recent times, where have they all gone

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2996&p=15270&hilit= ... ons#p15270
Last edited by treefrog on Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

treefrog wrote:The Aristocrat Mad Melons is not like the Mills machine, just has the Melon theme and had mine a long time now, bought from a fellow collector in Burnham-On-Sea about 7 years ago......still a machine that is top of my favourite list. Interestingly, liking Aristocrats, have seen very few good one's come up for sale in recent times, where have they all gone
You need to go to the very back of your second Shipping Container and look on the bottom shelf left hand side.