Jubilee.....resurrected !

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

Jubilee.....resurrected !

Post by coppinpr »

As most of you already know the part of this hobby I like the best is taking a machine that is well on its way to the scrap yard and giving it a future...perhaps only in someone's games room but at least one more machine saved.

This Jubilee tic-tac-toe came to me very cheap from this years Coventry auction and I knew at once it was going to be a challenge. The mech was actually very good, some old grease to remove and I used the new WD40 de-greaser and it worked very well. the reel strips are the metal ones and in perfect condition and the mech runs perfect now.

The case was another matter. the chrome was beyond repair,most had flaked completely off, I managed to save sections surrounding the belly glass but only the inside edges , not the parts that face outwards. that part I cleaned off and sprayed black. Same with the cash tray which was very bad and may need an insert to cover the tray itself. The glasses were badly flaked but I repaired with the new paint I mentioned in another post and as you can see from the photo with the lights on it has worked well.
The lights were pretty much in dangerous condition so I stripped them out and installed a three strip set of LEDs I bought in Lidles for £6.50 and they look and fit great.There appeared it have never been a light in the top box so I used the third spare LED strip to add one and it looks good.
Only new locks to fit tomorrow and its about done .

jub start.jpg

jub finished.jpg

finished lights.jpg

finished 2.jpg

wembleylion

Re: Jubilee.....resurrected !

Post by wembleylion »

Wow Coppinpr, it's a great looking machine now. **xXx**

John
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Nice machine coppinpr, when the chrome is that bad and flaking off is it possible to rechrome it? I saw a jennings governor and the top casting was as bad as your chrome.
Dutchboy
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

re-chroming is easy to get done but expensive and very hit and miss as to how it comes out. Jennings are particularly hard to get a good re chrome on, they seem to have used a poor base metal,they often come out slightly pitted but it can be done well by a good company.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Jubilee Rivieras' chromed parts are a mix of steel and alloy. As coppin says, it can get expensive to replate all the parts, so you have to understand what your aims & budget are. I have replated the door parts and handle parts and found them easy to plate, even the two long alloy door side panels. I have never replated the cashtray or topbox or side runners. The professional restorers have been powdercoating most of the major door & cabinet parts for a more durable long lasting finish for many years & that's probably the best lower cost solution.

I start with the award glasses - if you find a set of these in a machine in tip top condition then it's always better to fund the oncost of restoring back to original plating and or polishing etc., but it's a difficult call at times and my call will be different to others of course.

Here's an example of a powdercolour paint one of the professionals used to complement specific colours on the red & gold artwork and trim on the 2p OXO machines.
Attachments
SV100024.JPG
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The poor old Jub at the top of this post has now gone to its new home (at three and a half times the price I paid at Coventry I might add) it is now the centre piece of the reception area of the new offices of a welding and light engineering business in Aylesbury. Thats what pleases me most in this hobby, giving a piece of history a new ,and long ,life !!THUMBSX2!!
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Well done coppinpr, looks great!