Chrome plating on aluminium

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
polaris

Chrome plating on aluminium

Post by polaris »

If anyone looking to have any plating done, I just used a company called Easy Electroplating (based in Hull) for the second time. I can't recommend them highly enough - has on both occasions plated Jennings front bonnet to fantastic standard. Priced £160 which included return postage which I think is very reasonable.
aristomatic

Re: Chrome plating

Post by aristomatic »

Have you any before after pix

Be good to see these thanks
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Chrome plating

Post by badpenny »

Worth knowing, thanks.
BP
raj

Re: Chrome plating on aluminium

Post by raj »

£160....ouch, I think I'll stick to mirror polishing.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

There's lots of threads on plating and in particular on Jennings castings.

A few years back I bought a lot of governors and chiefs and sold them on pretty quickly just to source 3 best sets of castings with original chrome I could, for my three machines that I had in my collection, that I still have.

As Raj says mirror polishing gives a very acceptable finish for a fraction of the price and less risk of anything going wrong, as is when replating. However,if you want to restore back to original or just prefer chrome to polish and budget is no issue then just get it done at the place that gives you the best finished product, regardless of the cost.

Not easy to find these days and much depends on the quality of the product you give them to start with of course. You could give the same place another casting the same and It comes out poorer than the previous one - all a gamble really.

GP

Always nice to see pictures of restored machines or parts of course.....
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

£160 is not expensive these days. The good firm near me used to be reasonable but have introduced a min start price of £80 on top of any quote just to keep people like us away. They wanted £120 for a Jennings handle. :shock:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

A lot of truth spoken there.

In the 60s every town had a couple of back street platers that for a few bob would do an excellent job.
However in more lightened times it was decided unfair to sewer rats because thats where the cocktail of toxic waste ended up.
Interestingly when I worked in Crewe in the late 90s everybody walked around with the most excellent chromed ...
Baccy tins
Zippos
Car keys
Coins (date of birth etc)

It seems everyone knows someone who works at RR

BP
polaris

Post by polaris »

IMG_1108a.jpg

Searched for some time to find anyone willing to take these on. Most places not interested or unable to do them. There's certainly no one anywhere near where I live and I thought given the work involved that the price was quite reasonable. I never actually gave any thought to other methods. I don't think I have came across one that's been polished - would be interested to see what it looks like.
Attachments
IMG_1250a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Polishing to a mirror finish is certainly a good alternative especially for a fraction of the price. I expect in a few years time .... amongst collectors in the know ..... there will be so few quality machines rechromed that they will be valued at a premium.

The likes of late Jubs. I suggest would exceed their value if rechromed totally and properly.

I only bit the bullet once and had an Aristo Nevada front casting rechromed, they didn't want the job and tried to price it out of the market. Being bloody minded I stuck it out ...... I lost a fortune when I sold it, it looked totally stunning and was eventually sold at Camden Market, still for less than I spent on buying it, restoring it and chroming it.
BP :didact:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I have still yet to actually do any chroming, probably because I never get around to working on machines, but still keen to dabble with the home kit for small parts, like allwin bits.....

My problem with larger items like bandits, I have yet to see one in the flesh that looked perfect. Also if you do one panel and not all, they do not match. Polishing can look great, I have a Jennings Sun Chief polished and much prefer it to a chrome finish, less bling.....also there was a Mills Hi Top a while back at the elephant, which looked fantastic. I guess the quality of the castings is key though as many of these Hi Top's once stripped often reveal not so good metal....

Good to have a positive contact though as will need to use one at some point....