Only saying ..........

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
bryans fan

Re: Only saying ..........

Post by bryans fan »

badpenny wrote: JP as usual "Trumps" us all with his sage like comments :didact:

I seen what you did then! Very drole BP :lol:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

badpenny wrote:Sadly we also have a couple of long time members who only ask questions and then shuffle back into the shadows.
!!UHOH!! Is he talking about me? !!:.*.:!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

What made you think he meant you MR P. was it the "shuffling" bit? :lol:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Or is because I only ask questions? :!?!:
!!BURNOUT!!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Interesting thread, and with the current contributors above, only serve to reinforce BP's original comments about just a few contributing to the many.

And it is not just this Forum, I am sure that one of Jerry's reasons for not being able to continue with MMM was that it was very difficult to keep writing articles for the mag, and again, only a few contributed. I was brought up in an post-war period where please and thank you were normal parts of your vocabulary (or if not, a verbal or sometimes actual slap round the head was encountered) that has been eroded by a must-have-now society with little gratitude for others. !!RANT!!

Ok moan over, back to the Bumper rebuild - anyone got any original plans I can have
:lol:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

One thing that is evident is how many posts get no responses at all, I sometimes feel like answering just for the sake of it, eg...

..Jimmycowman recently asked about the right lock for a tinny Mutoscope, no response where I am sure at least 20% of people own one. I have a restoration project and was going to check if it had a lock.......

Widget recently asked about the long spring for a grip testers. I am certain there was another question on the same about a year or so back, but could not find on the site so did not respond as I don't have one. But many on here will own one......

Polaris asked a question about large cased Parkers machine (looked nice by the way and never seen one), no response

BP had a challenge on a eBay newspaper article, have to admit I did not understand this one so did not respond, sorry BP '!'

Coppin put a question around the decimal award cards on Jennings, mmmm I could have responded here as not uncommon and often seen on decimal conversion machines using value rather than numbers of coins, which is where all machines went anyway to this day

A newbie lol_penny put in a request on how to get a rol a top, no responses, so has gone now probably....

This is just the last few months......must try harder :didact:
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Very well said treefrog !THUMBS!
polaris

Post by polaris »

I for one am truly thankful for all the info that i am able for find on this site. most of the points have been brought up already but it is noticeable that there are only a few regular people who do contribute massively to most of the calls for help. it likely is true B.P that there are lot of collectors given that these machines are also around fifty twelve years old that may no longer have the same enthusiasm for the hobby. I don't remember these machines from my childhood and there has to be many like me on the site who greatly appreciate all the help ,resources , stories at our disposal. i think too that many people who come on have so much info and a vast amount of topics at hand that they don't feel the need to get involved. i genuinely think also that there are a lot of members who would like to contribute but maybe don't have the confidence to post on topics and perhaps even lurk in the shadows just for the banter :)
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The problem is (and I know ive said this before) a forum lives or dies by its posts. A steady stream of posts (even if frivolous or wildly off subject like many of mine :oops: ) keeps a forum ticking over,if there are no new posts people stop looking ,fade away from the forum and miss just the answer they were waiting for.

I dont do my yearly check on "the state of the forum" till November but it seems to me there has been a marked drop in posts since about Feb. I too have noticed at least two new members with questions basically ignored after a quick welcome from BP . The reason this happens I guess is the small number of people who always try to help simply dont know that type of machine so cant answer,but someone on here knows so come on guys ,if your the expert needed then step up to the plate >!!???!!<
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I'm generally amazed at the high number of questions that do get comprehensively answered but it's true, I'm sure we could do better if more of the 'lurkers' came forward instead of assuming the usual suspects know all the answers. I for one, have never owned a tinny Mutoscope :shock: and can't supply Samson Grip spring dimensions, because I no longer have one.
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

Good thread! Some interesting contributions (particularly from our USA correspondent, JP). This is undoubtedly a most excellent site for followers of vintage slot machines and it is always a pleasure to follow the various topics. Clearly, there are a small number of slot Masters who are willing to give freely of their expertise. Without them, this site simply would not work. Equally, the cogs are kept well-oiled by the charm, wit and occasional rant of certain individuals (who will, at all costs, be kept far from my daughters). I cannot remember when I joined this site, nor can I measure my contributions (either by number or worth) but I have made contributions to Resources when I could and I have never had cause to regret that it is given freely. I am delighted if what I loaded helped somebody but, if not yet, maybe one day. Through this site I have had the pleasure of meeting some true collectors and had my eyes opened to some of the most beautiful machines that I previously never dreamed existed. I also had my eyes opened to the reality of never being in a position to afford one of these machines !!GRUMP!! . I cannot remember a day when I have not accessed the site and, just in case I have not mentioned it before, I am very grateful to all who contribute to making it such a good read! Long may it persevere! !!CHEERS!!
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

Bugger! It is right there. Joined September 9th 2012. 239 posts. :o
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Hi everyone, i must say i read all the topics over the last 6 months and enjoy it every time! Since my last purchase in feb of the governor, through circumstances i was not able to work on my machines :-( . Next week i will visit the us of a for a holiday and hope to pick it all up when i'm back. Thanks all!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You're always a Samson in our eyes Mr P. Smarm, smarm, grovel, bow.

Note to self "Stop publicly writing drivel just because it amuses or interests me."
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

"Stop publicly writing drivel just because it amuses or interests me."
no ..dont stop, its was your excellent drivel that got this interesting post started :lol:
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

The main reason I don't post, is I don't know anything!
Actually, I'm OK with EM pinball machines, but there doesn't seem to be many owners on here,
highfield

Post by highfield »

That's good to hear Special, I have a gottlieb top card in my small collection of machines. Running ok at the moment but know where to come or advice now :HaHa:
John
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

I'm in the same boat as 'Special'. My knowledge is very limited. I have helped out a few times with vending related stuff.

I do however follow the forum a couple of times a day and enjoy sharing the knowledge of others. So please keep it up it's much appreciated.

Dave