Mills QT.

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
jra

Mills QT.

Post by jra »

Hi all,
I have just acquired a 10 cent Mills QT machine (the one with the narrow jackpot) and it is fitted with DICE reel strips and award card, I have never seen these on a QT machine before and wonder if anyone else has, or has it been got at sometime in the past. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you JRA.
polaris

Re: Mills QT.

Post by polaris »

Looked a nice project jra think was couple disappointed online bidders there was a problem with Internet to auction house at time it went to sale good turn of fortune for you though as thought reasonable price:)
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Did see it, but looked like the front casting had been damaged as there are rivets all over the top left of the casting, personally never been a big fan of QT's...prefer the Columbia in style, probably something to do with the visible escalator that does it

I recall a front casting for a QT going very cheap at the Coventry auction,

Have you picked up yet and examined this as maybe it is something else

Of course assuming it was the machine from the Rye sale..

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 5200fd4020
Attachments
RYE-359.jpg
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

I saw your post on the US site and wondered if you were going to post here too. I love QT's. I hope you get it all working and cleaned up regardless of any damage it has. Post pictures of the process if you can, always good to see a restoration breathe life into a machine that's had some issues and needs some loving..............

As TF say, Mills QT parts do come up especially in the States and as are so small shipping isn't too bad. If it's all complete and working then sourcing a front piece if needed shouldn't break the bank. What did it go for at auction?

GP
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

£360 or, about 425 with fees.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

thx TF
jra

Post by jra »

Thanks for all the comments folks, but no one has answered my question - was this original or not? This now completes my collection of QT's. I have all 7 of the models produced and I only bought this one because it was different by the narrow jackpot. Fortunately for me, Rye is just down the road so I was able to give it the once over before deciding to go for it.

I admit it has some issues but nothing that a bit of time and patience will not sort out both of which I have plenty of.
Once again, thank you, but I am still need to know if these strips and award card are original or not.
Regards JRA.
jra

Post by jra »

Hi all,
Update on the QT with dice reel strips. First the bad news - the back door is a wooden replacement; the front has a bad crack across the top left corner which has been riveted; as for the reel strips and award card I asked about, they are home-made which explains why nobody had the answer if they were original or not. Also, both locks are replacements.

Now the good news - once I got it open and cleared the log jam in the coin entry the machine worked first pull.
Everything is there all complete (but very dirty & dusty). The coin tube and jackpot had 1 new pence coins in them so I tried it but it did not pay out the right amount (2 short on the high payout) so I tried the 1 cent coin - same result, then I tried 6D (old sixpence). It worked a treat - right payout across the range. As this machine is supposed to be a 10 cent machine I removed the coin slides only to find they have been replaced with larger hole ones to take a bigger coin than 10 cent. Also on the back of the home made award card is the original TOTE awards which points to an English conversion from way back. Also in the cash box there was a copy of the Hastings & St, Leonards Observer dated Saturday October 7th 1967, in which there is an advert for a 3 bedroom house in Mermaid Street Rye for £7000 freehold. I wonder if this date was about the last time this machine saw service? Finally if anyone out there has a 6D coin entry for this machine please get in touch.

Regards JRA.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hooray for you.
Fantastic machines.
Are you going to leave the riveted repair? .... I think it adds to the machine's story.

I think you can get replacement back doors from America'land.
What do you need in the way of a coin entry for 6d?
Do you mean the case entry, the mech entry or the denominator button?

BP
jra

Post by jra »

Hi Badpenny,
It is the denominator I require with the 6D on the front.As for the front after much thought I have decided to have it repaired,I just think it would spoil the machine to leave it as is.When it is finished I will post some pictures.

Thank you, JRA.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

If it's the same bit that has the coin return built in the sadly the very part you need was on eBay (for the very first time) just recently, I think they were asking about £35 for it?
jra

Post by jra »

Hi BP,
Yes that is the part I require, if it is the same one one you saw (green) it was on what seemed forever but I did not need it then, always the way.
JRA.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I think Americaland is your best bet. :!?!:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Suspect you would struggle to find these in the US unless someone has converted an old UK machine....oddly I have a French one and Uk badge. They are uniquely numbered which means they may have made these for export markets, rather than converted like so many machines.
Attachments
denominators1.jpg
jra

Post by jra »

Treefrog,
Interesting collection of denominators, are they yours, if so how much for the yellow one with 6d on it. that is the one I am looking for.
Regards JRA.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

oh they will be treefrogs, just the few that have spilled over the top of the shipping container, he may well sell you one...if hes knows where they are :lol:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

On my craptop that yellow one is red.
jra

Post by jra »

On mine it is still yellow.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I suspect it maybe in between the two colours, so orange perhaps..

Anyway happy to sell, PM me for my extortionate fees :lol: