Mills type jackpots, profit and loss

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

Mills type jackpots, profit and loss

Post by coppinpr »

I know the great masters of the site will say this is obvious but I thought it fun to start this thread.
Today I got the jackpot on the Mills hi-top I have in my conservatory, I think for the first time, and it got me thinking about how the design of the JP helps limit losses to the operator. It's simple enough, no coin goes into the JP unless all previous losses have been covered. The theory would work like this, the coin drop system relates the coin it's holding to the previous play (be it a win or loss) and also assumes all wins (other than the special case of the jackpot itself) as 1 coin payouts (the fact that the payout coins are held in tube and pay out in groups is irrelevant to the coin drop system). So if the player gets a 14 coin win, the coin system sends that coin to the JP (or coin box if the JP is full), it then treats the next 14 coins as 1 coin winners dropping them down the payout tube. This means that because the coin following a pull actually relates to that pull, the jackpot will only receive the chance of a coin on a losing play. If, for example, a player got 6 wins in a row totalling 60 coins it would be 61 coins later that the JP got its first visitor.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Mills type jackpots, profit and loss

Post by badpenny »

Not disagreeing with you, merely adding ......
Yet the JP is kept out of that principle as winning the JP doesn't affect anything happening in the coin tube.
Except if it also pays out on all of the slides as well (not all JPs do).

Of course a JP Reserve suddenly feeds the reset bank and immediately becomes a potential loss to the operator, likewise coins overflowing from the tube will have to refill The Reserve before starting to refill the JP. !PUZZLED!
coppinpr

Re: Mills type jackpots, profit and loss

Post by coppinpr »

Yes you're right, the JP seems to be considered a "special case" filled directly from the operators' profit supposedly in the view that having a JP will attract more money in the long run than the JP costs. Offered two alike machines to play, one with a JP one without, which one would you play - no contest.

The reserve JP makes no difference, it's really just one big JP, bigger than it appears. No coin reaches either unless the original theory is upheld.