R&W Wrigley's Chewing Gum allwin identified

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
cheeky

R&W Wrigley's Chewing Gum allwin identified

Post by cheeky »

Is this a missing Wonders Machines currently for sale on Ebay? The vendor describes it as such. Item number: 160155091007
Attachments
Wrigleys.jpg
Wrigleys.jpg (22.2 KiB) Viewed 4843 times
JC

Post by JC »

No, I don't think it is a Wonders. The case is certainly in the Wonders style, although the rail above the door doesn't look right. But to the best of my knowledge, Wonders didn't make sweetie allwins (not that chewing gum is exactly 'sweetie'). Anyway, it just doesn't look right - there are too many things wrong for it to be a Wonders machine. Personally, I think it's a Ruffler & Walker.
brianh

Re: R&W Wrigley's Chewing Gum allwin identified

Post by brianh »

Came across this old post while I was looking for examples of this machine. Reason was that I picked one up at the EH auction last year as pic attached (note the extra top flash) and have been trying to establish what original colours were on the backflash as it looks a bit faded. Just to confirm what JC thought, it is indeed a Ruffler & Walker machine and has their name stamped on it in 3 places.

Does anyone perchance have an example with the original colours or are those on the 2007 posted picture in fact the originals? Provided colours aren't too faded I didn't intend doing anything with it but just curious what it looked like new.

PS - Although I can't get wrigleys packets that size any more, I find little plastic boxes of tic-tacs fit perfectly and it runs beautifully!
Attachments
wrigleysa.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The flyer below shows the company colours which were still current around that time so, I'm guessing yours are pretty close.
Attachments
spearmint-1929-feb-wrigleys-ad-resized.jpg
brianh

Post by brianh »

Many thanks coppinpr - very helpful. !THUMBS!