Movie, TV or famous ownership provenance

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
treefrog

Movie, TV or famous ownership provenance

Post by treefrog »

I know there is a section on film and tv appearances of slot machines, but does anyone actually own a machine with provenance of a famous past. I can only point to a single machine a Aristocrat Gold Star I bought a number of years ago from Scotland once owned and located in Led Zeppelins satanic home at Bolskine House, now burnt down.

Oddly another Aristocrat on eBay seems to state being a prop from Fawlty Towers. I was going to check the provenance of this with the seller as it certainly has a staggering price tag. There were two different machines used in the Fawlty Towers series, I believe the first series in 1975 had the Quad reel Regal machine. These had purple sides and of course hoppers. The 1979 series they used a Bally Honey Munny, oddly I have both of these types of machines.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182513907378? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Attachments
IMG_0400.JPG
slotsoffun

Re: Movie, TV or famous ownership provenance

Post by slotsoffun »

Will be interesting to see what proof he has in relation to it "actually" being in Fawlty Towers. I've come across many machines that the owner tells me it was once owned by Elton John, it was the one used in a James Bond movie..blah blah blah..
Without any evidence or paperwork to prove the fact, then the machines have no additional value what so ever.
Let us know Treefrog what the seller has to back up his claim!
In my opinion, the price is way too high whatever it's history! But then, what do I know! :D
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Found this at the start of Episode 3 series 1. Same model but different graphic panel in orange and not blue like eBay machine, so doubtful it's the actual machine.
Attachments
fawlty slot 2.jpg
fawlty slot.jpg
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Sharp eye, Gameswat. Little gets by you, does it?

J Peterson
Half-blind in USA
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

We discussed this matter of provenance in relation to the "Unique Clock from Bryans Slot Machine Works, Kegworth" at the February EH auction:
This fantastic large clock measuring some 2-feet across with an 18-inch dial appears to have been completely, or almost completely, hand-made in the Bryans factory, including the unique cabinet fittings and slot machine style "pointer" brass hands. Even the substantial chain-driven fusee movement, which was rather old-fashioned by the time this clock was made, appears to have been made by Bryans. The cast enamelled dial is "hand painted" with graphics that match the paperwork of Bryans famous Clock slot machines.
Unfortunately, catalogue statements about what "appears to be" are no substitute for an old photograph showing it in situ, or written testimony from a former employee. Without that, provenance is impossible to confirm. A machine's 'original provenance' (i.e. manufacturer) is not usually problematic, but with anomalous items like this, it is.
Attachments
clock.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

When an item appears for sale, and is highlighted through the internet as being a genuine item with a specific provenance I always believe it.
I'm sure it's a never a case of someone thinking "well this looks similar to the one I saw, nobody could prove it isn't, so I'll say it is and bang an extortionate value on it, it's worth a try."
Other statements I believe without question are .....
.... been in my family for .....
.... given to my Father/Grandfather/Uncle ....
.... hello big boy ....
.... yes The Bumper will be there ....

What are your instant believers?

BP
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Does anybody know what the supposed story was behind the Bryans clock as to how it ever left the factory? Seems strange that the family kept it all together as a museum but let that go?

And what exactly does "The cast enamelled dial is "hand painted"" mean? !PUZZLED! Just looks like a normal sheet tin clock face to me. :!?!:
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

On the slightly off-topic subject of provenance - and no connection to film, my 1929 nickel Mills Poinsettia was 'discovered secreted behind a false wall in a small out building being demolished in Nevada'. Said out building was supposedly a hidden gambling den run by a Mr Tony Cornero during the construction of the Hoover Dam.
It was chock-full of 1928 & '29 nickels and I had no reason to suspect the seller was telling porkies.
AP.