Use of cross head on Bryans

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
treefrog

Use of cross head on Bryans

Post by treefrog »

I noticed on the Elevenses for sale, which looks an honest original machine, all the screws for the cabinet hardware are cross head or philips. I do not recall seeing one like this and thought they were all standard slot type, but maybe given this is a 1p machine, in the later years they started using them as it would be odd for someone to change every screw later on !PUZZLED!
Attachments
IMG_0405.JPG
widget2k4

Re: Use of cross head on Bryans

Post by widget2k4 »

Deffo not meant to be crosshead, they have had the corners off at some point and used self tappers to fix them back on, chances are the screw holes are ruined now though so getting slot heads back in will be hard, not a total loss though as they were meant to be filled with Filler then painted so you couldn't see most of them anyway
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

And the outer, lower ones should be bolts.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Now that you mention it pm what is the purpose of them 2 bolts? I never could work out why they did that?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Jim Bryan once told me the extra, apparently redundant, cotter pin on the end of the shaft of payout knobs etc. was to prevent punters walking off with it if the knob worked loose from the mechanism. I imagine the same applies here - if a souvenir hunter took a screwdriver to the corner plate, they'd be thwarted by the one that couldn't easily be unscrewed from the outside. As you mentioned, the screw heads were filled anyway, so those corner plates were pretty secure.