Noisy coin escalator on Mills Hi Top

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
alan57

Noisy coin escalator on Mills Hi Top

Post by alan57 »

Are coin escalators on Mill's Hi Top's generally noisy?
The Blue Hi Top I have, has a very noisy clunking coin escalator, so much so it has broken the glass window.
BP informed me there are 5 sounds, when a Mills Hi Top is being cranked up, with my Blue Hi Top there are 6 sounds, the last sound being the noisy coin escalator when it's being reset.

The other Mills Hi Top I have in my collection is a Black Beauty, with a very similar coin escalator, this one run very quietly - but has bits missing, but runs and operates fine.

If I remove the same parts from the Blue Hi Top, and are missing from The Black Hi Top, will this action reduce the noise level :!?!: of the escalator?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Noisy coin escalator on Mills Hi Top

Post by badpenny »

Usually if a Mills/Sega escalator is noisy at the end of its cycle it's down to the rubber bumper (my red arrow) wearing thin. As the slide bar is spring loaded and returns fast you can end up with quite a whack.

I wouldn't go removing any parts, they're there for a reason.

BP
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Don't see a pic with your red arrow on BP?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

oh arr ......
1.jpg
1.jpg (74.61 KiB) Viewed 3249 times

treefrog

Post by treefrog »

You are missing the advanced bar locking lever and the coin bar release level, all part of the process of release when the mechanism resets. Secondly that spring does not look oem, they should be a long progressive spring which continues a steady amount of energy through it's release, not a strong spring. If this is quite tense, it will slam back to the stop bar with a bang if too strong. Seems odd to break the glass, which sounds like something else. Also you should able to observe what part is creating the noise
alan57

Post by alan57 »

The noisy part, is the part I've circled, that slams into the end of the escalator track and then back again. I agree with BP that the rubber at the end has perished with time. This I will replace. Not too sure if there should be a rubber at both ends of the track to ease impact. Also, I've noticed the track moving out, forcing the coins to drop out of the escalator. This may be due the 2 springs that hold it in place that have become too weak.
Not too sure what an advanced bar locking lever is, or a coin release level? as Tony mentioned.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Why not take the opportunity to remove the escalator and strip it down. It looks complex but it's not and you will be much more confident working on them in the future, and believe me they work better when cleaned. Like tf and bp have said, it looks like a combo of buffer and spring. Replace these and totally strip and clean - will work wonders. Takes about an hour only.
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Sorted !!THUMBSX2!!