American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
geofflove

Re: Rotamint Duett

Postby geofflove » Thu May 14, 2020 3:22 pm

The info inside the machine says 6d with jackpot. However, I’m pretty convinced what I have is a chassis that’s been moved into a different case as the circuit diagram in the case doesn’t match the chassis. I’ve tried with a token which is almost right. I’m pretty sure it’s a 3d play. Am waiting for some to arrive. The token is about 21mm diameter and about 2mm thick, so not far off a 3d, and the payout seems to have a little room to spare. 6ds come through 2 or 3 at a time. These two pics show the coin sat in position operating the start switch and the second is me manually holding out the lever which the coin raises as it is pushed out by the lever on the cam. My current coin doesn’t move the lever anywhere near this far and, as a result, doesn’t operate the switch. Being a slightly larger diameter, I’m wondering if the 3d will cause it to operate. Still not sure what it does though, as the fuses haven’t arrived!
As you might be able to make out it the in pic the switch is normally closed. The coin popping out opens it interrupting the power.
7515C15E-7A59-4A36-91A3-5FAEAB28FAA8a.jpg
0052ADA8-667A-4BDD-AF80-7550230CEFE6a.jpg

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Thu May 14, 2020 7:57 pm

It is probably a bit of a mongrel.
The 6d is (as I said) a light coin to be depressing switches and a lot of money to have been chucking into what was quite an unexciting machine and already a bit long in the tooth by the time it arrived here.
I'd consider taking the opportunity to put it on something more suitable, while you can.

Another shortcoming of this model is the metal frame that makes up part of the pay out tray can become LIVE with electrickery. I've had two that have done this. It's not 240 AC but it can make you yodel. It's constant and doesn't need to be cycling to be felt. I think it's something to do with a common return shared by the button lamps and the buttons effect on the skill stops.

BP

geofflove

Postby geofflove » Thu May 14, 2020 8:54 pm

Ouch! Sounds like maybe it was also doubling up as one of those old electric shock machines!
I’ll watch out for that! There’s certainly lots of scope for stray volts throughout this one!

I’m hoping I’ll be able to get it working on 3d. Despite what it claims it’s not on 6d. They drop straight through the slot. I think 3d might be the right thickness. Just need Royal Mail to bring me some to try now.

jackie3896

Postby jackie3896 » Fri May 15, 2020 6:17 pm

Hi,

Sorry, I’ve got some catching up to do on this Rotamint thread, but just to let you know, my Rotamint works on thrupenny bits.

Chris.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Fri May 15, 2020 8:01 pm

There you go, well done!

Pity you're not near Lincoln I could put a bucket thruppenies out on my doorstep for you.

geofflove

Postby geofflove » Fri May 15, 2020 8:56 pm

Progress.... of a sort!

Threepenny bits arrived today! Only took 3 hours to get the coin mech working! Each time I thought it was working OK I would reassemble only to find it didn’t once back in the machine, adjust repeat, adjust repeat etc.

The key probs in the end seemed to be a weak spring clip holding the reject slot closes which periodically let the edge of the coin drop in and get trapped. Bent the clip up to tighten it. Then the coin kept leaning to the side and stopping. Not sure why, but a lolly stick guide seems to have sorted this and finally needed a bit of filing and polishing on the ‘knobbles’ inside the mech that the coin runs along. Now accepting coins consistently and the switch discussed above is adjusted so it breaks as the cam pushes the coin out. Not sure if it should, but it looks that way. Guess I’ll find out once the fuses arrive - luckily I’ve ordered a few!

The payout appears to pay two 3ds at a time. This looks by design, rather than being a fault, as it is consistent.

geofflove

Postby geofflove » Sun May 17, 2020 7:07 pm

So some might be interested in an update. It’s working...! Sort of. I managed to get the coin mech accepting coins but getting the machine to work with it proved a further challenge. Adjusting the cam the accept coins first but push them out after is a fine balance. At first the machine was stopping mid cycle. After a while I realised that the break switch was breaking too soon as the coin was pushed out. Once the contacts were bent a little to they broke a little later was the simple fix. A shame it took me an hour to discover it!
So the machine now runs and also pays out! The payout seems a little random and not always when 3 similar numbers are showing. I think it’s paying more money than it’s taking at the moment so that’s the next job! I suspect that will require a bit of thinking through. Also the brake switches on two of the wheels don’t seem to do anything even though the actual switches appear to be operating. Another one to look at. Anyway here it is so far!