BMR and BDR bandits

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: BDR Bristol

Post by badpenny »

I've never seen a manual for those, but they're not that complicated if you sit and study what happens and in what order.
The most radical bit (for me) is the payout utilising a second clock.

You'll have noticed every part of it is cast or forged at the base of a volcano before being compressed in The Mariana Trench to intensify density. If you keep it upstairs make sure the kids help your wife to carry it.

BP
ps ... Never put Beaver into Google when your 85 year old Aunty Daphne is visiting for Sunday Lunch.
coppinpr

Re: BDR Bristol

Post by coppinpr »

I asked Google what would be best for wind and it suggested a kite :!?!:
john t peterson

Re: BMR and BDR bandits

Post by john t peterson »

Another one shows up for sale here in the States:

RACE CAR theme-- slot machine
Attachments
$_12.JPG
$_12.JPG (12.06 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

What a nice version, this I would like. !!THUMBSX2!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I had the chance to buy one of these many years ago for £200 and the opening price was "very negotiable" I remember him repeating a number of times.
I was disappointed to find it had one of the cast panels missing but most interestingly it came with a bonus of about half a gallon of dirty engine oil sloshing around in the base of it.

I declined it on the basis that laying it on its back in my Granada for 70 miles was unlikely to improve my velor interior any.
raj

Post by raj »

It might have doubled the value of your old Grandad and stopped it rusting away to nothing! :HaHa:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Its demise was more dramatic than mere "metal moth".
I was driving back to Derby from Crewe one night when the automatic gearbox decided to select all of its options at the same time. Oh how I laughed! I'd never been driving in reverse whilst parked in 3rd before.
coppinpr

who made this machine

Post by coppinpr »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Could someone please confirm who made this machine please.
Attachments
brook2.JPG
brook2.JPG (62.1 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I've attached your query to the topic about these bandits. See also Junkyard collectables where treefrog spotted this machine.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I saw the junkyard post and it hints they are BDR but as it's going in a new page on the penny-arcade.info site I wanted to make sure.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Just re-reading my collection of old UK Replay magazines for research purposes and came across this about early collector Les Hinsey in June 1977: "and a fruit machine with its reels in conical formation, made from the surplus castings of a railway-ticket machine manufacturer."
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

sounds about right! :cool:
brooklands console1.jpg
brooklands console1.jpg (27.54 KiB) Viewed 4450 times

pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I think this was one of those little word-of-mouth myths which arose from associating the utilitarian look of BMR bandits with the fact that the company was known to have made ticket machines for the London Underground. Two problems - BMR were supplying the ticket machines when they were supposedly trying to use up these parts and anyway the cabinets are not the same. The change tray is a similar shape to the payout tray on some of their bandits (not the floor-standers though), but that's as far as it goes.

BMR-TicketMachines.jpg

Although their styling might suggest 1960s or 1950s manufacture, these ticket machines, produced by Brecknell Munro & Rogers, were quietly futuristic. They first appeared in busy Underground stations as early as 1937.

At that time, individual tickets were purchased from one point to another, many with different prices. These clearly labelled machines helped regular commuters buy tickets for commonly made journeys that cost a set amount - on the poster it shows 4D. They were both functional and beautiful.

They were still in use at some locations into the 1980s.
https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk

By the way, I wonder if anybody owns one of these machines. I don't recall if the London Transport Museum has one. Most, if not all, would have been recycled when they were decommissioned.
Attachments
BMR-UG.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I assumed they meant mech casting as there are many. And why not use up parts already designed and sitting in the factory, not necessarily yet obsolete. Though could also be once they'd improved or changed the ticket design. Guess there must be patents for the ticket machines?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Actually, I can't really make sense of, "a fruit machine with its reels in conical formation, made from the surplus castings of a railway-ticket machine manufacturer."
Is he suggesting BMR acquired surplus castings off a different manufacturer of railway ticket machines and used them to make bandits? !PUZZLED!

Other than platform tickets, as far as I know, the first railway ticket machines were the aforementioned London Underground machines. So we must be talking about BMRs own surplus castings. Obviously they couldn't have been used on the flat-disk, counter-top Brooklands Racer (patented in 1933 & '35) because it predates the ticket machine (1937).

I don't know how much later the floor-standing, conical reeled machines were, but they don't use any of the same exterior castings as the earlier version - even the handles are different. What's more, there appear to be few (if any) interior parts of the countertop, floor-standing and 'bread bin' bandits which are interchangeable. Nor does there appear to be anything make-do or improvised about these mechanisms.

Although there could be some small bits used in both ticket machines and bandits, I don't buy the "made from surplus castings" idea. I doubt there would be much in an electromechanical ticket machine which could be re-purposed for use in a mechanical bandit.

As you say, you'd think there must be a patent for the ticket machine but I've examined all the BDR patents I could find.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I remember the ticket machines well and they were not made of strong metal at all, very tinny in fact. They made a drum like sound if you hit them. As a good boy I didn't do that of course. !SAINT!

I have a copy of their London underground turnstile patent but couldn't find the ticket machine patent.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

pennymachines wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:43 pmOther than platform tickets, as far as I know, the first railway ticket machines were the aforementioned London Underground machines.
I'm reminded by this photo that there were Underground ticket vendors which pre-dated the above BMR machines.
Attachments
a-man-buying-a-ticket-from-a-ticket-machine-in-an-unknown-london-underground-station (1).jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

With the large version on eBay for over a year still not selling, someone let one roll below last week and fetched £410. I was interested to see where this would go as however interesting they are, they are heavy, large and not the prettiest of machines... Only second time seen one sell, the previous one 8 years ago sold for similar money, a lot of metal in there...
Attachments
42F89AFA-980D-4B42-AB66-8846B92C623C.jpeg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I'm glad it went for £400+ or I would have been tempted to bid... which would have been a mistake. I would have loved to work on it BUT how to ship it? Where to put it? and what do you do with it when it's finished? ....sell it for £400 :!?!:

I know we have talked at length and decided these were NOT made from BDR ticket machine leftovers, but there is something about it, perhaps just the same guy designed both cases. :lol:
Great slot machine though, running on 6d and a win got you a free trip to Bethnal Green not only that ...but a winner EVERY time!!
Attachments
ticket s 1.jpg
ticket machine.jpg
ticket machine.jpg (7.01 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The 6D one has been through the auction rooms a couple of times recently, but is apparently just a scratch-built stage prop.
Attachments
Partridge-263.jpg