Making a new top glass

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

Making a new top glass

Post by coppinpr »

Im working on a very badly run down Jennings governor and was interested to see if I could make a new top glass using just a standard ink jet printer,peel of printable vinyl and some acrylic sheet. I found a seller on Ebay for the acrylic (around £2.50 for the size I needed) I have the vinyl (about £1 per sheet)

Cutting the thick acrylic was the hardest part, I tried several ways including an acrylic scribe tool but that was too risky as you need to snap the sheet (broke the first one) in the end a coping saw was the easiest especially as there is a cut out area at the top of these panels .

I scanned the artwork and re-built it, then cut it in half and printed the two separate halves on to the vinyl, to reduce the join I printed the "2 games for 5p" disc as a separate item and stuck over most of the join. A lot of care is needed to position the sticky vinyls when applying them to the sheet but it worked out ok.

Dont know if id use the new or the old if I was keeping the machine but as Ive got three ive already sold this one , the buyer can chose the old one or the new,up to him.(as hes most likley reading this he can let me know) (I think id go with the new,the old is badly marked on the glass as well as the artwork and very faded. anyway I thought it worked out OK, Now ive got to make a new base which will mean learning how to use my new router :!?!:
top glass old.jpg

new top glass.jpg

dutchboy

Re: Making a new top glass

Post by dutchboy »

Paul, you are an magician with these programs on your pc. Do you shake your pc and it will come out? !!JUNK!! What do you built more besides websites and slot machines?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

What do you built more besides websites and slot machines?
well Hans, I just finished this little diorama just for the fun of building it,does that count? The tractor kit was Polish made and not easy to build, :lol:
trasctor.jpg

andy d

Post by andy d »

Paul, PM'd you.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Nicely made model Paul, not a big fan of broccoli though.