American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
jimmycowman

Essex Corn Exchange & variants

Postby jimmycowman » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:10 am

This Corn Exchange seemed cheap on ebay selling at £270.
Would it have cost £200 to put it right? !PUZZLED!
$(KGrHqZ,!i4E5deW1))yBO,OOW)3Eg~~60_12.JPG
download.jpg

bandito

Re: Corn Exchange

Postby bandito » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:47 pm

Hi there, I won this machine. The only things wrong with it mechanically are the regulator (piston) which controls the spinning disc. It's full of oil. Have not had a good look at it yet, so not sure if there should be an air seal on there or something like that. It plunges too quick, not giving the disc time to spin properly. Also the spinning disc is out of alignment, again an easy fix. Never had a machine like this before, only bandits.I am sure the glass is a later replacement. Would like to see an original machine. If anyone has an original machine, please post a picture or two, Cheers.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:13 am

Looks like a very nice buy to me. I really like the quality of these machines, I've had the Corn Exchange and the Stock Exchange. There should defintately be a piece of leather in the pump so it will work correctly, though from memory when I restored mine it was missing as it was in Coin-Op's example?? Your glass looks perfectly fine, what makes you think it's a replacement? I had to do much retouching to my glass as the original paper wheel art had lifted and rubbed the paint away in many spots. But a pity that yours has had the top case trim wood streamlined, much more elegant with the moldings intact.
corn exchange before.jpg
corn exchange done.jpg
corn exchange  mech.jpg
corn exchange glass 2.jpg
corn exchange leather 2.jpg

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:00 am

Nice looking machine, I fell asleep on this one :dammit: . I wonder if the case is original with this finish, as the rounded effect the top has is duplicated in the rounded glass retainers, rather than the fluted ones as shown in the second pictures.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:15 am

Tree-Frog, I'd be really surprised if it was made that way since every one I've ever seen looked like mine. These are late 1920s which was well before that streamlined look took off. And it just doesn't look right having the streamlined top and molded base. I'll bet it was an operator revamp in the 40s or 50s.

One other thing I just realised is that the cabinet has definitely been refinished. The original was dark stained, as can been seen on the inside door of the eBay machine.
Last edited by gameswat on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:40 am

I don’t know whether it is 100% original or not !PUZZLED! , but one thing I do know is, it’s a lot better than the one I haven’t got !!THUMBSX2!! .... well done that man.

bandito

Postby bandito » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks for the pictures and information! The glass on my machine is slightly different to the pictures posted. It has a hand painted look to it and is missing the 'patent applied for' bit in the middle. As for the case, I guess it has been tidied up in the past and needs a lot of tlc to make it look like an original. I will need to have a good think about what I will do with it. The base needs repairing which should be easy to do. As for the top, would probably need a new piece of oak to match the bottom. First thing to do is to get it working tidy and then have a long think about the cabinet. I'm in no rush.....

jimmycowman

Postby jimmycowman » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:48 pm

Yes, just as I thought: a bargain. Well done! !!THUMBSX2!!

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:37 pm

Well I was close to having a stab at this Little Stock Exchange, but had not seen the insides and just could not risk it...anyone here go for this, I wonder if the front is original or what was under the plate at the front.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200836309524? ... 1423.l2648
stock.JPG

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:19 pm

This is similar to the the third machine in the Museum (Gambling Machines). I've seen one other example. I think they are pretty much identical internally to the Corn/Fruit Exchanges and maybe also made by Essex. The game appears in many guises.