American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Several allwins on ebay

Postby badpenny » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:42 pm

That'll be Mr Moderator to you. :byee:

pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Essex Corn Exchange & variants

Postby pennymachines » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:50 pm

I think Mr Mod's wary of clicking the 'delete this website' button by mistake. !!UHOH!!

I guess your carefully reasoned explanation of the Jackpot Corn Exchange is as good as we can hope for Gameswat.

I'm not sure, with the door closed, and with the tube set so far behind, you would actually see the coins inside it through the little jackpot window. !PUZZLED!

It's interesting to compare to the Stock Exchange you posted earlier with its clever free-play gizmo. In both cases, an extraordinary amount of work seems to have gone in to making a rather dull game slightly less boring! Unfortunately, I think in this instance, it also makes a quite handsome game slightly less so.

jimmycowman

Postby jimmycowman » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:23 pm

I was the under bidder and forgot to bid at the end..... :dammit:

john t peterson

Postby john t peterson » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:21 am

I remain impressed by the variants existing of the Essex Corn Exchange. I have one called "Rainbow Roulette." Too many years ago, I wrote an article on the game which was published in the now defunct AAM magazine. The basic operation of the game is the same as all Corn machines. The difference with this machine is the addition of a battery that illuminates three different lights at the top left of the door. The names on the wheel have been painted over with the winning colors. If the wheel stops on a specific color, the same color light illuminates and you are paid out the amount specified on your next play. This is an advance pay machine, remember.

It may be a bit corny but it's definitely unique.

J Peterson
Uniquely yours in the USA
Corn01.JPG

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:19 pm

Bryans Fan just drew my attention to another of these weird double-barrelled Corn Exchanges (sold on eBay a few days ago). This time only one payout cup, but two coin tubes and again the little jackpot window (unfortunately missing its frame). This example supports Gameswat's theory - the jackpot is hand filled and somehow you're supposed to see how many coins it holds by peering into the dark interior at the cut out slits in the tube.
cornx.jpg
cornx5.jpg
cornx4.jpg
cornx3.jpg

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:20 am

I was surprised at the price, given the condition, would have put that value at a complete finished item, but I guess indicative of the lack of machines or auctions at the moment.....

treefrog

Monopoly

Postby treefrog » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:56 am

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Never seen one of these before, the Monopoly future pay machine. Think MR Pm has two YouTube channels. Nice shape, remind me of a Bryans Rockets (cabinet) and could not find make in books !PUZZLED!

moonriver

Re: Monopoly

Postby moonriver » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:16 pm

So hard to operate this type of machine with the old penny arcade punters. No matter how much you explain how future pay works, they just don't get it.
Then there is the matter of spin time, not so much with this Monopoly , as it spins quite a long time compared with the usual halfhearted effort when the disc turns, they also always complain isn't spinning properly.
The issue I would imagine with the Monopoly is that they would give up turning the knob half way through also thinking it wasn't working, and then abandon it and leave it to be jammed up with the next coins going in

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Monopoly

Postby badpenny » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:01 pm

Similarities to Lot 8 in the Nantwich Auction coming up next week.

BP
PW-8.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:33 pm

Yes, the mechanism is essentially the same as the more famous Stock Exchange and Corn Exchange. The only other example I've seen was just a front at the Star Warehouse, Camden. I asked Jimmy Broderick's surly assistant if he knew who made it: "If you don't know, you shouldn't be here."

Another machine of this ilk is the Little Stock Exchange.
Gamblers1n2.jpg
234.jpg