American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
john t peterson

Love Testers

Postby john t peterson » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:37 pm

Topic merged - Site Admin.

In preparation for a new decade, which I pre-emptively declare to be "THE DECADE OF LOVE," I'm inviting one and all to submit pictures of love testers. Below is a set of twins from Oliver Whales of Redcar, circa 1942. On the left is "Cupid's Arrow" and the right is "Love Meter Personalty." Clearly, both games were variations on the same theme: LOVE.

So, what do you have? Show me the LOVE.

John Peterson
Your Romantic American Correspondent
Tellers-TwinWhales.JPG

slotalot

Re: LOVE TESTERS

Postby slotalot » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:05 pm

Hi :D , I had the "pleasure" of restoring an Oliver Whales Personality Love Meter a few years ago. It was found by me in a garden shed. It was just a door and in a very poor state. Someone had ruined the metal covering on the door by cleaning it with an angle grinder :mad: so I made a new case and gave it a rewire and ended up with a nice looking machine. I don't have it now but I wish I had never sold it :!?!:

The love test machine I have in my collection at the moment is one of my own creation. I designed and built it on the lines of a vintage machine and to me it's better than the O.W. Love Meter because I made it myself :claps: but then I have always got more "pleasure" (it's that word again) from working on vintage machines than owning them. :tarah:
ow1.jpg
O.W. Love Meter
ow2.jpg
O.W. Love Meter "mech"
P2050049a.jpg
My Love Tester
P2050051a.jpg
My Love Tester "mech"

coin-op
Forum Moderator

Postby coin-op » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:21 pm

I think these are both Myers machines.
Tel-e-test.JPG
Love Test.JPG

JC

Postby JC » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:38 pm

Nice Love Tester, Stuart - looks very professional. Just wondered what the machine is next to it?

Jerry

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:15 pm

Hi Jerry :D , Merry Christmas.
Thanks for your comments on my Love Tester - I am very pleased with the way it has turned out. I don't need to tell you about the amount of work required to design and build a full size machine that works :didact: ... but it helps to keep me Sane. :mad: I know this because I was talking to myself about it the other day. :oops:

The other machine in the photo is called "Snap-It". The lights behind the card symbols flash at random all the time and when you put a penny in the machine stops. If it stops on a pair, it pays out that amount. It's all 240v and you have to take care when the door is open and the machine is running as it's all live :zapa: with lots of bits to touch. When I got it, it had not worked for a long time and was in quite a state but it made a good project for my idle hands.... lol! I have never seen another.... anybody got one?
Regards Stuart.
snap-it.jpg

john t peterson

Postby john t peterson » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:25 pm

Stuart,

I think the original name of this game was "Zap It," before the company attorneys made them change it after three punters were electrocuted. Too much truth in advertising is sometimes bad for business.

john peterson :!:

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:31 pm

Hi John,
You could be right... but the punters will get more of a shock if it ever pays out on the 9d... :D as it don't happen that often... :tarah:

jingle

Postby jingle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:25 pm

THE NEW LOVE TEST

THE LOVE NEST

Just got these in this week.
PICT6183.JPG

john t peterson

Postby john t peterson » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:46 pm

Very loving. Well done, Jingle!!

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:17 pm

Another Myers Love Test and another Oliver Whales Love Meter - with dual coin slot.
Looking a little unloved at the moment, but surely their day will come.
lovetest.jpg
lovemeter.jpg