American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
mei-mei

Re: Play Nine Holes golf penny game

Postby mei-mei » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:56 pm

Hi, thanks guys, all useful info. Problem with keeping the original track is that it will result in many gaps and possible trip up points for the penny to negotiate. Plus the fact that the track is so brittle, I'm not sure it will stand me drilling through it. I think that pennymachines is correct and this early type of plastic has a limited shelf life a bit like the mass of yellowed plastic bits I presume was once a barrier between the glass and the pennies, there to protected the back painting of the imagery. Another slight problem is that at some time the previous owner has stuck a second piece of glass over the original. At a guess I think he tried to protect the imagery from damage, or maybe there is a hairline crack that I haven't spotted yet. Unfortunately dirt and water have seeped between the two layers leaving yellow streaks that I would really like to clean, but I'm terrified if I take the two layers apart that it will damage the image further. I could try the method I used to repair the back painted fortune teller machine that I have, but that would mean having a reproduction image instead of the original. This is truly driving me nuts? !!SUICIDAL!! Mei-mei

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:26 pm

Seems that the track has deteriorated to the point of replacement then. :( Mr P, question, would it not be possible to fret saw new tracks out of wood? Would this be easier? Also, is there any reason why you couldn't mark the track line with a white board pen if it's being painted in advance of removing the tracks as it just wipes off?
I bet the second glass was added to replace the disintegrated plastic one. Could be a disaster separating them as you say.

mei-mei

Postby mei-mei » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:49 am

Thanks coppinpr, it is great to be able to chew these problems over with someone else. Using fret sawn wood for the track could work as the machine shouldn't get a great deal of use, so wear and tear would not be an issue. I still think I could give the right angled plastic a try, it would be easy enough to bend and fit in one piece. I'm going to take the glass to a glazier mate and see if he has any suggestions. If all else fails I can get the image scanned and printed onto another piece of glass, shame but if there is too much damage sometimes you just have to bite the bullet! :cry: MM

bryans fan

Postby bryans fan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:14 am

Hi mei-mei

I expect you have spotted this at the E H Auction today, but thought it worth posting this picture on this thread as they appear to be from the same stable
ROLLING HOME MACHINE.jpg

mei-mei

Postby mei-mei » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks Bryans fan, Wow I wish mine was in as good a condition. I guess they made these over a long period of time. Anyone know when they first started making this type of machine? MM

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:46 pm

The earliest version I know of appears to be 1930s and, as is often the way with these things, was the most attractive. Unlike the later ones, it's wider than it's tall, and the cabinet incorporates a clubhouse on top. The only example I've seen is pictured in the showroom image on the front of the 1930s Bolland's Amusement Machine Supply Co. catalogue.
golf-game.jpg
Last year however, what appeared to be the innards from a similar game was sold in New Zealand:
124a.jpg
Several versions were made with different graphics, but usually following the same basic design, even down to the old car driving away, bottom right.
I've put a couple of glasses in Resources.
I think the Peerless Golf may be by Peerless Novelty Co. and the Nine Holes says,
Protected Registered British Design Nos. 837474 & 337774 - U.S.A. Registered Design No. D 8?243 Modele Deposé. FOR AMUSEMENT ONLY MFD. BY BCM/MMMM LONDON.W.C.1
I've also put a few examples of these games in the Museum. The Nine Holes shows the stand and coin return tray as it probably existed on yours originally. See also Rolling Home (unsold in last Sunday's auction) and the metal-cased Mastermatics Master Golf Game.
NineHoleGolf.jpg
Nine Hole Golf with stand

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:06 pm

I was tempted with the EH one as it did look nice although not sure how much had been replaced or restored. Also the minimum bid seemed to be £200, which seemed reasonable to me and maybe if you contact Steve it could still be available. They are big old things though, but entertaining....

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:56 pm

The same machine sold for over £600 previously at the Elephant House. Some folk playing it before the sale were clearly having fun, so I was surprised when it couldn't get a bid at £200.
coppinpr wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:26 pm
Would it not be possible to fret saw new tracks out of wood? Would this be easier? Also is there any reason why you couldn't mark the track line with a white board pen if it's being painted in advance of removing the tracks as it just wipes off?
Hardwood's not very stable at the required thickness and ply will not present a very smooth edge, even after sanding. It can also splinter a bit and warp if damp. I see no reason not to use suitable thickness sheet plastic. It's probably easier to scroll saw than wood.

To get a really clean, smooth backplate, I'd remove the track before rubbing down and respraying.

mei-mei

Postby mei-mei » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:11 pm

Hi,
"Protected Registered British Design Nos. 837474 & 337774 - U.S.A. Registered Design No. D 8?243 Modele Deposé. FOR AMUSEMENT ONLY MFD. BY BCM/MMMM LONDON.W.C.1".

I did wonder if it was a type of trade simulator as there seems to be no other payout when you win. I just love the look of the original with the club house on top, so typical of that era. Does this also mean that it was made in the good old US of A?

The guy I bought this from did mention a table that had been lost in his moving house so it is possible it is as early as the one you have posted. There is however a small label on the glass that says 'Master golf' which is confusing as this is not a metal model? MM

mei-mei

Postby mei-mei » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:16 pm

Hi, further to my last email. I am fortunate to have an old peddle driven fret saw and as it has a very fine blade, it should be easy enough to cut a plastic track for the penny. I am excited at the thought of getting started over the weekend. MM