American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
peterkay

Jamieson/Streets et al. Snap bandits

Postby peterkay » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:18 pm

Hello all,
I am a newbie, I am hoping someone can help me locate, or even tell me the name of a slot machine from the 1970s.
The gist of the game was there was a horizontal barrel split into 3 sections with each section having a picture of different people. I recall there was a policeman, a lady in a swimsuit, I think a postman, maybe a baker. The object was to line up the head torso and legs of the same person to win.
Can anybody connect with this description?
I think it was more for children than adults.

Many thanks,
Peter.

coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: help with finding a machine

Postby coin-op » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:20 pm

Hi Peter, I think the machine you are describing is called SNAP and was made by Jamieson Automatics who were based in Bridlington. I thought I had a picture of one somewhere, but cannot locate it at present. Maybe another member can produce one. I think the child-like features of the machine might lead you to think of it as a children's game but, when you think about it, in essence it was a disguised three reel slot machine.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:36 pm

I used to have one of those ............. ugly great brute ....... the payout was a bit erratic so I did my usual and stabbed it with a screwdriver whilst it was plugged in ..... lot of glue in chipboard ...... the flames distorted the plexiglass.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:45 pm

Coin-op wrote:SNAP and was made by Jamieson Automatics
There's a 1960s amusement slot machine "Snap" pictured at Artfact, but they attribute it to the London, Eastbourne manufacturer Streets Automatic Machine Co. Ltd.

coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: "Snap" identified

Postby coin-op » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:50 am

Braithwaite's Arcade and slot machines book cites a SNAP made by Jamiesons. I recall seeing a SNAP which was different to the one at Artifact, so maybe there are two types. From recollection, the one I saw seemed nicer looking than that shown at Artifact.

malcymal

Re: "Snap" identified

Postby malcymal » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:47 am

I remember playing SNAP on Worthing pier - 2 horizontal reels with a massive 10 coin payout. No hold facility, a bit boring to be honest, put your new 1p coin in and hope for the best (random though, unlike the nonsense they make today). Do you remember the 2 reeled traditional electronic bandits??
Brenco and Ace. http://www.coin.demon.co.uk/machines/mi ... eel500.jpg
(one for sale at http://www.coin.demon.co.uk/machines.htm)
I'm sure I also played a SNAP at http://www.coin.demon.co.uk/iow.htm when I was on holiday a couple of years back on the Isle of Wight.

Going off topic: - Although SNAP is not showing on their old machines page, some nice photos of old machines they have, if you ever go to the Isle of Wight, you will find bandits and old coin-ops littering the island, some mechanical, some early electro mechanical. It's like a time-warp over there. You might want to visit Arreton Barns too http://www.arretonbarns.co.uk/mainindex.php who have quite a lot of old flickballs, Mills bandits etc.

garycake

What's this machine called? (SNAP)

Postby garycake » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:04 pm

(Snap topic merged - Site Admin)
Hi!
I remember a machine from long ago in the fair. Here's a description: It had two rotating cylinders and various pictures of people on it, split in half. I think there was a fat lady on one half and when one of the cylinders stopped, you had to wait for the other one to stop and if they matched, you would win. Love to see one again.

coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: What's this machine called?

Postby coin-op » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:30 pm

Sounds like a machine called SNAP. A 1960s Formica clad floor standing game. The pictures were cartoon-like images.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:24 pm

I saw a row of three Jamieson Automatics Snap machines in a modern arcade in Bridlington last weekend. I should have taken a picture!

Shortly afterwards, I played an earlier looking version at Old Penny Memories. I think this was the Streets Automatic Machine Co. Ltd. game.

I've yet to see a surviving example of the humorously named Metro Golden Player - a 1930s, all mechanical, three disk version (possibly by Brecknell, Munro & Rogers?)
SNAP.jpg
SNAP
SNAP.jpg (13.92 KiB) Viewed 6051 times
MGP.jpg
Metro Golden Player

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:41 pm

PennyMachines wrote:
Shortly afterwards, I played an earlier looking version at Old Penny Memories
SNAP! so did I a few weeks ago... LOL.
snap1.jpg