Wrights/Streets/Whittakers Snap bandits

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
malcymal

Re: What's this machine called?

Post by malcymal »

SNAP, they used to have one on Worthing Pier on 1NP. It was hardly an exciting machine but very amusing all the same.. those were the days. Thanks for sharing your photos of it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I used to have a Snap when I was in my last pub. It never occurred to me to operate it and it lived in the garage with my Harley.
Then one weekend we had a Hairy Bikers' do/BBQ/Live rock music sort of thing with camping in the back field.
I suddenly realised that a whole bunch of our "guests" were missing and traced them down to the garage where they had hauled my Harley Fatboy out of the way so they could play the Snap! :eek:
garycake

Post by garycake »

Thanks for the photos guys - it all comes back to me now, golden memories. Anyone see them coming up on ebay often?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I think I've seen two over the years on ebay.
howeinuk

SNAP Machine

Post by howeinuk »

(Snap topic merged - Site Admin)
I have been offered a SNAP wall machine in working condition. Can anyone give me any information about them?

There are two holes on the top of the cabinet, approx 50mm in diameter. Would there have been lights or a top flash?

What would be a reasonable amount to pay for one of these?

Grateful for your advice.
Attachments
SNAP.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: What's this machine called? (SNAP)

Post by pennymachines »

howeinuk - I've merged your post with the earlier Snap threads - this should give you some of the info you seek.

What would be a reasonable amount to pay for one of these? Without wishing to sound too facile:- pay as much as you would be happy to, based upon how much you like it, or less, if you can. There's no book price for such things. Sorry, I'm not going to hazard a guess.

I don't think this is visually quite as pleasing as the floor-standers above, but on the other hand it has the merit of being a more compact, bar-top game. It's hard to know if the two holes on top are evidence of a missing light-up because this example is different to the other pictured versions. Could these just be heat ventilation holes for the motor and lights? If so, they'll have grills to prevent anything dropping inside.
malcymal

Re: Snap

Post by malcymal »

I've never seen a bar top model like that. For me that would be more desirable than the big floor stander. If I saw that in my resident suppliers shop I would happily pay about £125 tops for it. It's a lovely piece of seaside history and so simple too. Out of interest, what is the vendor asking for it? Looking at the coin slot it looks like it's on old pennies; so quite original. Malc
howeinuk

Post by howeinuk »

Malc - thanks for your input. The machine is bigger than a bar top - it's about the size of a standard Allwin, but double the depth. Yes, it does run on old pennies. The vendor was asking £350!!!!

Does anyone have any clues on the top - flash or light that is missing?

Thanks

JH
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

The holes could be for ventilation.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

dirtdog I wouldn't pay £350 - that's way over the top. You can get some stunning German machines from Harold for half that. If you compare the Snap to some old Brenco machines and coin operated machines from a similar period as SNAP they have been on sale at Swallow Amusements between £40 and £80 in full working order and good condition (working hold buttons and the 4p or 10p stop feature on jackpot). From my memory of the floor standing SNAP at Worthing Pier I am 95% certain they had a top box on theirs !PUZZLED! . If these holes are vents I would expect to see some form of meshing. It just don't look right to me, in which case I would be thinking avoid. It smacks of an opportunist pricing it at that and opportunists to me equal ungenuine and dishonest. !!GRUMP!! ... Walk away mate and bide your time!!! Half the fun of buying slots is the hunt, you may wait a couple of years but they show up in the end, making your purchase satisfying. M :cool:
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

I looked at the wall/table mount version and I did wonder if it was totally original or maybe is an altered floor standing machine. Whatever the case, I think the floor standing version is more pleasing, although the one you have been offered certainly is in many ways more convenient to site.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I believe the row of five Snaps I saw in a modern arcade in Bridlington last year were similar to your compact version, although they were on modern coinage. It struck me at the time how different they were to the floor-standing one down the road at Old Penny Memories. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture, but I don't think they had light-ups on top.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

There are a couple of Snap machines at the Fairground Heritage Centre:
PERCIVAL'S PALACE OF PLEASURE
Our vintage slot machine arcade, loaned by Edward Percival and family, continues to go from strength to strength.

Richard and David Cadell, who run the Fun Cily Park, at Brean. in Somerset, have very generously donated a change machine, 1966 Williams Pintable, Steer a Coin and Streets' Snap Machines.

The latter two date from the 1970s, and it is important we display machines from this era, as of course many of our visitors can relate to these, more so than our older machines.

Robert Phipps and Simon DcVey also kindly donated a I960s Cromptons' Cakewalk pusher, once travelled by the late Joe and Joan Brewer. This has been in dry storage at Cullompton for 20 odd years, and after a little attention is now working and providing much needed revenue.

Kevin Gamlen is providing a wonderful, and ever increasing, selection of unusual machines, including a small merchandiser and a Triple Tap, with more on their way.

Other recent additions include an Electrodart and an unusual Catch a Clown, provided by Trustee Michael Smith.

We are currently seeking additional items to go into our very popular Penny arcade, which we intend to relocate double in size during the 2009 season.

All boxes are operated on current currency. We already have a number of extra machines promised, but would welcome more machines of all types, especially some working models.
Fairground Heritage Newsletter, No. 13, Spring 2009 (PDF)

Any of our members (other than Kevin) visited this yet?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Here's the row of five Snaps, referred to above, at Premier Amusements Arcade in Prince Street, Bridlington. Interesting to see that, although the picture glass is a different shape and size from the first version posted in this thread, it has essentially the same cartoon artwork. Makes me think they were all made by Streets Automatics.
Photos courtesy Jon Kalb.
Attachments
snaps.jpg
snap.jpg
snap-cu.jpg
chris roadhog

Post by chris roadhog »

As far as I know, they were made by Ken Wright who used to own Premier Amusements (now Anthony Shaw's) !PUZZLED!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Here's another, apparently later version, called Circus Snap.
Attachments
CircusSnap.jpg
monk

Post by monk »

There is an arcade on the seafront, Canvey Island with one of these machines - guessing they must be a good 30-40 years old with an S1 mech fitted?
moonriver

SNAP for a snip?

Post by moonriver »

Topic split, moved & merged - Site Admin.

!!YIPPEE!! The value of my Streets SNAP just went through the roof! The nice seller on Ebay says they're so rare , he's selling his for £4,995.
bryans fan

Re: Electro-mechanical Wall Machines

Post by bryans fan »

I too saw this listing :o
I think there may be some gap between the asking price and the selling price.
slotalot

Re: Electro-mechanical Wall Machines

Post by slotalot »

SNAP so do I..... !PIGSFLY!