Wrights/Streets/Whittakers Snap bandits

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: Snap

Post by coin-op »

I looked at the wall/table mount version and I did wonder if it was totally original or maybe is an altered floor standing machine. Whatever the case, I think the floor standing version is more pleasing, although the one you have been offered certainly is in many ways more convenient to site.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I believe the row of five Snaps I saw in a modern arcade in Bridlington last year were similar to your compact version, although they were on modern coinage. It struck me at the time how different they were to the floor-standing one down the road at Old Penny Memories. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture, but I don't think they had light-ups on top.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

There are a couple of Snap machines at the Fairground Heritage Centre:
PERCIVAL'S PALACE OF PLEASURE
Our vintage slot machine arcade, loaned by Edward Percival and family, continues to go from strength to strength.

Richard and David Cadell, who run the Fun Cily Park, at Brean. in Somerset, have very generously donated a change machine, 1966 Williams Pintable, Steer a Coin and Streets' Snap Machines.

The latter two date from the 1970s, and it is important we display machines from this era, as of course many of our visitors can relate to these, more so than our older machines.

Robert Phipps and Simon DcVey also kindly donated a I960s Cromptons' Cakewalk pusher, once travelled by the late Joe and Joan Brewer. This has been in dry storage at Cullompton for 20 odd years, and after a little attention is now working and providing much needed revenue.

Kevin Gamlen is providing a wonderful, and ever increasing, selection of unusual machines, including a small merchandiser and a Triple Tap, with more on their way.

Other recent additions include an Electrodart and an unusual Catch a Clown, provided by Trustee Michael Smith.

We are currently seeking additional items to go into our very popular Penny arcade, which we intend to relocate double in size during the 2009 season.

All boxes are operated on current currency. We already have a number of extra machines promised, but would welcome more machines of all types, especially some working models.
Fairground Heritage Newsletter, No. 13, Spring 2009 (PDF)

Any of our members (other than Kevin) visited this yet?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Here's the row of five Snaps, referred to above, at Premier Amusements Arcade in Prince Street, Bridlington. Interesting to see that, although the picture glass is a different shape and size from the first version posted in this thread, it has essentially the same cartoon artwork. Makes me think they were all made by Streets Automatics.
Photos courtesy Jon Kalb.
Attachments
snaps.jpg
snap.jpg
snap-cu.jpg
chris roadhog

Post by chris roadhog »

As far as I know, they were made by Ken Wright who used to own Premier Amusements (now Anthony Shaw's) !PUZZLED!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Here's another, apparently later version, called Circus Snap.
Attachments
CircusSnap.jpg
monk

Post by monk »

There is an arcade on the seafront, Canvey Island with one of these machines - guessing they must be a good 30-40 years old with an S1 mech fitted?
moonriver

SNAP for a snip?

Post by moonriver »

Topic split, moved & merged - Site Admin.

!!YIPPEE!! The value of my Streets SNAP just went through the roof! The nice seller on Ebay says they're so rare , he's selling his for £4,995.
bryans fan

Re: Electro-mechanical Wall Machines

Post by bryans fan »

I too saw this listing :o
I think there may be some gap between the asking price and the selling price.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

SNAP so do I..... !PIGSFLY!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

I'm so excited - it's a bit like getting picked to go through to stage two in a Readers' Digest competition. The nice Ebay man says he might like to buy my SNAP machines for £400 each.........................once he's sold his.
treefrog

Re: SNAP for a snip?

Post by treefrog »

Another Snap finished the other day on Ebay, but this time a small wall mounted one by Jamieson's. Never seen one this small, it is tiny and seems to be in a nice solid robust wood case. As usual tempted, but not at the £345 it sold for and non working, but if someone can get it going. it looks a nice machine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-penny ... true&rt=nc
Attachments
snap1.JPG
snap2.JPG
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

The swinging arm with the switches that roll over the studs on the reels are a nightmare to keep working accurately, badly designed and miss payouts frequently so ok for home use but hard to operate.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

snap...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-penny ... 41924f11a1

relisted due to messrs messer and sons
slotalot

Anyone for Snap??

Post by slotalot »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Amusm ... 4aebb8d1b8

How Much???? :o :o :o :o :o :o
Attachments
snap.JPG
treefrog

Re: Anyone for Snap??

Post by treefrog »

This has been on EBay all this year and probably last year, see the Snap thread below. (Now merged above - Site Admin.)
It is a bit like the later Pussy Shooter that has been on ebay for at least 3 years, asking 4 times its value.

Trouble is very little even comes on ebay now and Ebay keeping changing the format. They have lately killed the "Following" concept, which was quite good and very quickly showed items you were interested in on the home page. Also they no longer support the standard Mobile ebay option, so unless you have a later smartphone (and I don't), ebay will not work...... Goodbye Ebay :tarah:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It's yet another floor-standing variant, with different graphics to the one at the start of this thread. At least this one is positively identified as a Streets Automatic Machine Co. Ltd. product.
steggy

Re: SNAP for a snip?

Post by steggy »

moonriver wrote:Topic split, moved & merged - Site Admin.

!!YIPPEE!! The value of my Streets SNAP just went through the roof! The nice seller on Ebay says they're so rare , he's selling his for £4,995.
What is the real value of a Snap machine? I would really like one as I remember them from my childhood in arcades in Hemsby (Yarmouth) The one at 5 k is local to me, I saw it about 10 years ago. Not sure that it was in a good condition, Been stored a long time!
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

I reckon £600.00 max. What about the rest of you fine men? !PUZZLED!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

£600? wonderful....... you're welcome to buy one of mine :cool: ( thus saving over £4000!)