American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Tue May 22, 2007 12:24 pm

So is the Mills Black Beauty not really a Mills machine at all, but a Boland revamp? The one pictured has a jackpot.

Here's another Stars of the Silver Screen from Southern Counties auction 2006:
AA-4.jpg
Last edited by pennymachines on Thu May 24, 2007 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

daveslot

Postby daveslot » Wed May 23, 2007 9:49 pm

Yes, I have never seen one with a live jackpot, they have always been false ones. They used any old mech that was handy. I have seen them with Jennings and Watling mechs.

davidcoplansky

White City

Postby davidcoplansky » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:02 am

Hi all

Here you go a White City Picture! Any idea of the production year?

I guess the inside might be a Mills and not Jennings
wst1-1.JPG

Jack Pot

Re: Mills Black Beauty Brooklands slot

Postby Jack Pot » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:26 pm

First Post: -

I have recently acquired a Brooklands Totalisator machine which is different from the others shown in this thread.

I am interested in spares availability/sources - the numbers on the reels are in some cases illegible. These appear to be inserts. Does anyone make new ones?

The only fruit machine restoration experience I have is a Rotomat which I think was converted to pennies from another currency (German?)

It was a 'pig' to restore as all the main castings appear to be made of an alloy with rather less strength than cheese. I had to remanufacture many parts. Steep learning curve and all that.

Anyway, the Mills mech in my latest machine seems much more solid. Any tips and guidance much appreciated.

I'd be interested to know the date of manufacture of the original mech and the date of the conversion? (MLB 217A stamped on the mech). The wood of the case appears to have been 'extended' vertically.

I found a website for someone in USA who offers resto books for Mills and maintenance/adjustment data but would welcome recommendations before I part with cash.

Addictive, isn't it? :)
bcde2537f2-1.jpg
c505185f8c-2.jpg
442d982996-3.jpg

operator bell

Re: Mills Black Beauty Brooklands slot

Postby operator bell » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:54 am

the castings on the Black Beauty is all Bollands, nothing remains of the Mills
Aha! That explains a lot. A mate of mine has one exactly like JC's picture and up until about 90 seconds ago I believed it was a German machine, a Rheinlander. The front casting is the worst I've ever seen, exceptionally rough, like the foundry used beach shingle instead of proper sand. The mech is clearly Mills but yes, a very old one. Mills strips and spares fit it but usually some bending or filing is called for.

malcymal

Black Beauty Identified

Postby malcymal » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:06 pm

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Can anybody shed any light on this machine
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MILLS-one-arm-ban ... 2|294%3A50
bndt.JPG

treefrog

Re: Can anybody tell me about this Bandit?

Postby treefrog » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:19 pm

Malc,

If you do a search on this site there is a thread that has covered this. (Merged above - Site Admin.)
They appear to have been Mills conversions by Tom Boland and included a variety of other machines you will have seen before, including the Brooklands, Totaliser and Screen Stars (single reel).
The mechanism looks like an early one probably from a gooseneck type machine, which make sense as the coin slot is on that side. I seen seen some nice ones before that are totally veneered, but this one is a later Formica type.
Tom

treefrog

Black Beauty State Side

Postby treefrog » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:48 pm

Topic merged - Site Admin

Very nice looking Tom Bolands Black Beauty Brooklands on 50C. Never seen one not on 1D or later conversion.

BLACK BEAUTY
blackbeuty.jpg

operator bell

Re: Black Beauty State Side

Postby operator bell » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:55 am

An American half dollar (50c) is almost exactly the same size as an old penny, so the only conversion on this machine would be the denomination sign!

pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Black Beauty State Side

Postby pennymachines » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:33 pm

Two old penny examples from Tennants auction in 2007 and the one at the bottom appeared in a Canterbury saleroom a couple of days ago - estimate £200-300. Don't know if it sold.
bb1.jpg
bb2.jpg
BlackBeauty.jpg