American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
JC

Re: Circle Skill and variants

Postby JC » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:42 pm

Aha! So they're British after all. Well done to Pennymachines for coming up with the correct information (again)! Yes, I remember our conversation a while back, although I can't recall how we got onto the subject of Circle Skill machines. It's amazing how the conversation can digress in the course of an hour long phone call!

Anyway, to get to the point. The Circle Skill Bonanza looks really impressive. Has Pennymachines (or anyone else for that matter) ever seen one of these? As stated above, the various versions of Circle Skill are not particularly rare, but I've never seen one of these - not even a picture.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:42 am

I think I've seen one Bonanza Jackpot but never the Skill Bonanza.

Neil

Postby Neil » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:59 pm

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the detailed information, I will pass it onto my customer and keep my eyes peeled for one.

Best Regards, Neil.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Wall vending machine with rotating pins

Postby pennymachines » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:56 pm

Update. While digging out links for the patents pages I found we can backdate the original Circle Skill a little further to 1913. Horace Burton, the engineer who designed it lived in Walsall, even closer to home than I thought. I assume his proximity to William Thompson's Birmingham-based Coin Operating Company was not coincidental and that he was connected in some way with the company.
The drawing more closely resembles the later versions: GB191224532
He elaborated upon the design later by adding an extra moveable pinfield: GB191405186

rigg

Postby rigg » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:40 am

I have one of these.. 1928 stamped on faceplate. It has wooden tokens that are dispensed when you have a win, with, 'PENNY MACHINE CO., SANDGATE' stamped on them. Must be a token that was exchanged for a prize instead of a packet?? of cigarettes maybe! Lovely condition - so nice to see another one.
allwin_restoration_06001-1.jpg

coin-op
Forum Moderator

Postby coin-op » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:27 pm

Does anyone know if the standard type circle skill came with a top flash, or were top flashes on these machines generally a later distributor/operator addition? Mine appears to have had a top pediment at some time and it's on my mind to try and put on a new one. I seem to recall having seen a circle skill with an art deco angular pediment, but a friend sent me a pic of his with a nice curved pediment. I think I'd find it easier to knock up a suitable art deco style top, but really I ought to aim for what is right.

JC

Postby JC » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:32 pm

By 'standard' I assume you mean the three column vender version, as pictured above. I've only come across two of these in the past with top flashes or pediments, neither of which looked original - one actually looked ridiculous.
I'm guessing that these machines were not originally supplied with pediments.
But it's only a guess.

brianward

Can you help?

Postby brianward » Mon May 17, 2010 9:17 am

(Circle Skill topic merged - Site Admin.)

Recently acquired the following machine which I believe to be a circle win. Can anyone from this incredibly knowledgeable site tell me anything about it? It works on old pennies and if you guide the ball into any of the three slots it vends something. Any help or other photos would be most helpful. Has it been altered in anyway? Who made it? Was the green backflash cloth originally? Hoping for help on this as I don't want to mess with it if it's in its original condition.
013 (2).JPG

JC

Re: Can you help?

Postby JC » Mon May 17, 2010 11:37 am

Your machine is called Circle Skill. For many years, these machines were considered to be German, dating from the 1930s. Sometime ago, Mr Pennymachines discovered that they are in fact British, manufactured by William Thomson's Coin Operating Co. Birmingham.
The green plastic backflash isn't original. You should find that it is covering the original aluminium back, which will have a swirly circle design, usually referred to as 'engine-turned' backs (although engine turning is actually something completely different).

pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Can you help?

Postby pennymachines » Mon May 17, 2010 12:40 pm

The discussion to which JC refers (with pictures of the vending version of the game) has been joined to brianward's query.