American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
bob

Re: Modern coin operated stereo viewers

Postby bob » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:17 am

I have written about some Australian stereo viewers previously but did not have the relevant photos to hand. The first of the viewers that I mentioned referred to one as a prototype as it is most likely the only one of these ever made. This was described as a stereo viewer by the operator of an ice cream/drinks/confectionery etc shop at the end of Melbourne’s St Kilda beach pier. He told me in the early eighties that I could have it, when he unearthed it from under a pile of stuff in a shed at the back of his shop. I dreamt here that this would unearth a Cail-o-Scope or similar old stereo viewer.

I would go and see him every six months or so, to see how he was getting on in uncovering it, following a walk down the long, long pier. This would have to be on a day when the weather was lousy, as otherwise he would be too busy to talk to me selling ice creams, drinks etc. He did not give his phone number to anybody as people would ring him at 5.00 am to see “how the fish were biting etc” until he changed his number to an unlisted one that he would give to no one.

Years later he finally unearthed it and said I could have it for a dollar a year’s storage rental since he first promised it to me i.e. $20. This stereo viewer was most likely made by a coin op machine operator who lived opposite him, who had a coin op machine located in the shop. I had bought this machine from him years earlier, a Mercury strength tester illustrated below.
Mercury-Athletic-Scale-before022a.jpg
Mercury-Athletic-Scale-top023a.jpg
The dreamt of Caillescope etc. viewer thus turned out to be the incomplete wreck of what looked like a homemade item. As I wrote previously, I sold it on unrestored to another collector who put it on ebay last year, still unrestored.
St-Kilda-Pier-Viewer012a.jpg
The next photo is the Beauty on Parade. I got this in a wrecked condition from Melbourne’s Luna Park amusement centre. The photo shows it as I got it in its unrestored condition. I always thought it was an American machine, but Gameswat thinks that this is an Australian made copy (50’s or 60’s). Also shown here is another example of this machine, called 3D Beauty on Parade.
Beauty-on-Parade-stereo-viewer-before020a.jpg
3D-Beauty-Parade021a.jpg
The other Australian stereo viewer was probably made in South Australia. Here are some photos of it. One photo shows two of these in their original condition behind a Mutoscope model S and a Bolland’s Auto stereoscope.
Stereo-Viewers-SA-original-Muto-S-Auto-stereo018a.jpg
Another photo shows the case of one without its marquee and metal outside the viewer eyepiece. Yet another photo shows the mechanism of one of these machines restored some years ago by Gameswat.
SA-Stereo-Viewer013a.jpg
Rory's restored peepshow mech.jpg
3D-Beauty-Parade-SA-Stereo-Viewer017a.jpg
My coin op machine collection did eventually include an early American Cail-o-Scope stereo viewer, a British (Bolland I think) art deco Auto Stereoscope, a very early French stereo viewer with glass photographic stereo plates and another British art deco machine, the floorstanding Peerless stereo viewer which has a really excellent mechanism. All of these were extensively restored by me.
Caillescope-Stereo-Viewer-before014a.jpg
Cail-o-Scope-stereo-viewer024a.jpg
Autostereo Captivating Loveliness.jpg
Peerless-Stereo-Viewer-before015a.jpg
Peerless-Picturesa.jpg
Although not in my collection there are a number of the British Art-Arama Show stereo viewers held in other people’s collections in Australia.
Art-Arama-Sho-Stereo-ViewerPeerless-Stereo-Viewer-before016a.jpg

brigham

Postby brigham » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:19 am

3-D Beauty Parade (the one with the roundels) must have started off as a 'Night Bomber' or some such, surely?

bryans fan

Postby bryans fan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:30 pm

Great stuff Bob. !WORSHIPFULL!

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:41 pm

That 3-D Beauty Parade is one I restored nearly 30 years ago and was never anything else. The sides were exactly like that when I stripped back the layers of paint. But I seem to remember that some of the front art had been worn away from foot wear and I had to make the best guess I could. This was sold 20 years back and re-purchased by me three years ago when I contacted the owner about buying some of the spare belts of Realist slides we threw in. These appear to have been a simplified version copied in Aust based on the US made Mutoscope 3 Dimensional Theatre below. I've seen several other examples of the mech I have and they all used Aussie or British bakelite fixtures and 220/40 volt motors, relays and wiring circuits.
3d viewer.jpg
3d viewer.jpg (16.51 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
3dtheat1.jpg

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 pm

And bigger photos of the Fraser & Hosking steroviewer, two slightly differing machines, one with cast coin entry and the other with bent plate. I chose to put a vintage nudie reel inside the second machine shown in place of the original Swiss mountain scenes dating early '50s.
fraser stereo 2.jpg
fraser stereo 1 mech.jpg
f&s stereoscope rhd.jpg
f&s stereoscope lhd.jpg
f&s stereoscope mech 1.jpg
f&s stereoscope mech 2.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:05 pm

A few more which appear to incorporate domestic viewers:
ArtShow.jpg
1950s Art Show (Mike Munves)
peep2.jpg
1930s Select-A-View, Shipman Mfg. Co.
peep2.jpg (20.14 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
1930s Shipman Mfg. Co. Select-A-View Pinballhistory.com

Coin-Operated Stereo Viewer.jpg
Unknown maker
Filmprojectors.eu
Cinemate.jpg
1960s Cinemate viewer/vendor, Warzée & Co., Brussels

atticbrowser

Postby atticbrowser » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:29 pm

Very interesting! The Art Show viewers appear to be using a black Bakelite Tru Vue viewer, so the images will be on a continuous 35mm filmstrip. The Cinemate seems to be a variant of the Cinemate machine I posted a few pages ago. I was wrong to identify it as French, it is of course Belgian. This too appears to use a Model E Brown Bakelite Viewmaster viewer and so the images will be on a Viewmaster reel. Thank you all for sharing these pictures.

bob

Postby bob » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:31 am

When I posted my contribution yesterday regarding stereo machines I tried several times to include the photos in line. Every time I would get halfway down and click the wrong thing and lose the lot. So I prevailed on the administrator for help in placing the pictures in the text and Mr Pennymachines very kindly helped with this. He subsequently queried that I had not included a picture of the French stereo viewer and offered to place this in the text. However I did not include this previously as I did not consider my restoration to be a true restoration of what it would have looked like originally.

What happened here is actually a story in itself. I got this machine from a showman who had four or five similar machines which his father also a showman had operated. The stereo scenes were beautiful glass plate photographs of French scenes: the Eiffel Tower, Cathedrals, Champs Elysee etc. The machine as I got it can be seen in the attached before photo.
French Scenes before026.jpg
It was a wooden case covered in tin and then painted. I was sure that when I removed the tin there would be a lovely walnut or oak or similar cabinet underneath. Alas, when I stripped off the tin, I discovered the cabinet was made of cheap undressed timber of the type that was used in fruit packing cases. So I built a new cabinet for the machine.
French Scenes after027.jpg
The machine has a rear with a ground glass window against which the stereo slide can be seen. It has a mechanism which lifts a tin "curtain" when the penny is inserted and the knob turned and drops this "curtain" again after the last picture. I added a simple mechanism which turned a small torch globe light on and off together with movement of the "curtain" mechanism to illuminate the slides without having to place the machine against a light source. I did not include the picture previously as I did not consider it a restoration of what had it had originally been, but I guess it is of interest, so here are the before and after pictures.

Here's a photo of the six French stereo machines that I had to choose from. I chose one that still had the original glass slides with scenes of Paris.
French Stereo Viewers029.jpg
And not really in the right place at all is a photo of a British fortune telling machine... Topic split to British 'Hair Colour' fortune teller Site Admin.

ddstoys

Postby ddstoys » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:35 pm

Bob again you have come through with some amazing info and some amazing photos.

Specially love the old one of my Artorama. I know it's an old photo of mine as I can also see my Sky Jump in the background.

Here’s a current photo of it.
C645C2D5-B60E-4756-BDEE-9F0DD2709C1Ca.jpg

atticbrowser

Postby atticbrowser » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:47 pm

A huge thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread. Bob in particular has shared some fascinating pictures. I’m really enjoying seeing all these machines. The breadth and depth of member's knowledge is remarkable. A few pages back 13rebel said ‘I'm sure there will be many people on this site who would like further information, particularly the operating 'gubbins.’ I agree that the internal mechanisms are often fascinating. All the machines have to do the same things – present the images in a stereo format; take the money; move from image to image; look sufficiently appealing to pull in a customer. But they find so many completely different ways to do those things!

Anyway as a first go at ‘showing the operating gubbins,' here are some pictures of the workings of a Cinemate. This is the Belgian coin op viewer using a Model E Viewmaster, two models of which have appeared earlier in this thread. These pictures appeared in an online auction a while ago. For an auction listing there are some surprisingly detailed pictures.
Three things I noticed:
1. These pictures appear to give us a makers name.
2. In picture 3 we see from behind and it looks as if the diffusers have been removed from the Viewmaster. If that's the case then the pictures would be very 'glary' as the diffusers provide a nice even illumination and without them I'd have thought the bulb would be seen through the transparencies.
3. I hadn't realised that this was also a gum-ball machine!
0c242c64-c8cb-11e5-8226-439b9ffdb654.jpg
c5769a1c-c8cb-11e5-8ad3-6f5411dea803.jpg
c7a098f6-c8cb-11e5-927e-985bc58e4633.jpg
77f845a6-c8cb-11e5-8edc-8411d175d38d.jpg
71e2de92-c8cb-11e5-8de4-e994b645dc61.jpg
9b5bac90-c8cb-11e5-992c-812164d8029c.jpg
1b01dfec-c8cb-11e5-82b8-09165d660566.jpg