Jennings reel spin problem

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Jennings reel spin problem

Post by badpenny »

Hokey Cokey!
Going back to what I was waffling about ..........

Jenning-Mecha.jpg

Click on the above picture (probably twice) and you should get a massive photo showing you the Clock, the bar it moves forward as you pull the handle, which takes all three brakes off. Then after they start spinning the bar returns to allow the brakes to drop in sequence. You'll see one of them has a wheel at the bottom which is off centre and changes the timing of that reel.
My question to you was "Do you have that wheel on one of the brake stems and if so, is it on the first reel brake instead of the third one as seen in the photo?"
You may not have one, alternatively you may have but like my photo it is the third one, whereas your problem is on reel one. All I'm trying to do is eliminate easy possibilities before we get into the complicated stuff.

It can be fixed, everything and anything can be fixed, I'm beginning to suspect that Treefrog and Coppinpr are correct and that the first reel brake isn't being suitably lifted to allow the clock bar to get under it resulting in the reel not getting a chance to spin.

I did ask if you were in the Sheffield area, but you didn't answer me. I am in the West Midlands if you want to drop it off. However if you're in Scotland or Cornwall, you probably won't want to.

BP
francos

Post by francos »

Hi there and thank you,
I'm in Stoke on Trent and the wheel is on the third brake if you are looking from the front. When I watch the first brake it goes above the bar but when it drops the bar has gone back and the brake drops just in front in missing the bar altogether.
Attachments
image-1.jpg
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Have a look at that part I've arrowed fastened on with two screws. I've had one before where that was loose and bent - straightened it and tightened it and it solved the problem. It could be needing a little adjusting on the dog, or that part I pointed out could be made slightly longer to give it more push to make the brake arm take longer to rest. The reason it works sometimes is because of the small offset bearing on the clock that piece pushes against. If you turn that to the biggest cam then it would probably work every time. This would show that the problem is in the clock not getting pushed far enough when it's on the smallest cam.
It's hard to explain something when you can't show what you mean. lol
Attachments
20180414_213902a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

There you go francos, more solutions than you could shake a wotsit at.

If you don't fancy tackling it on your own, but are keen to learn then pop down to me with it and I'll talk you through it and also show you how the whole damn thing works, it won't cost you a penny.

BP :cool:
francos

Post by francos »

Yes badpenny. I would love to bring it along and watch you sort it out and learn as much as I can. Thank you for the offer. Can you pm me as to where you are?
Thanks.
Attachments
parta.jpg
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Francos, try putting a little spacer in where that pushes against the clock and try that. I'm sure it will work, maybe a bit of rubber or something but don't go too thick, maybe the thickness of a penny at first. If it works then we can take it from there. Alternatively go visit bp and have a cuppa or 3 while he sorts it out. :)
francos

Post by francos »

Will do - thank you. I'll give it a go. Thing is, now I've pushed, pulled, moved, tried this and that and it looks like I've gone from bad to worse. It's not paying out now. I think my head is going to explode so hopefully I can take BP up on his offer. Great opportunity to learn and make a friend.

Thank you badpenny, yes, I would like to take up your offer.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

No probs, just pm me.

BP
francos

Post by francos »

Thought I had mate you. It got it
francos

Post by francos »

Just check mate if not try sending me one I also tried to email you
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You're right, you did, but it's a bit jumbled.

I know Mr P was fiddling with the magic beans that work the website earlier or p'raps the flux of the Earth garbled it.

Either way there's a couple of days this week I can do or more days next week.
Either email me on (I'm not putting my contact details in standard format as trawling bots look for that and then bombard you with spam, and those penis enlargement tablets are bitter) jeremydotclaphamatlivedotcom or mob me on zero seven eight 0 four one 6 nine two 0 four. In fact anyone who wants to contact me for general abuse or ridicule may also use these links.

BP !!THUMBSX2!!