American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
bob

Re: Australian Manufactured Coin Op Machines

Postby bob » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:56 am

I had forgotten that the name of the chewing gum sold in these machines in New South Wales was YZ, but remembered only that it was not ACE. Here’s a photo of a rather battered Y-Z machine as used in New South Wales.

YZ Chewing Gum 062.jpg
In the very early years of my collecting a YZ chewing gum machine appeared in the window of a small antique shop just around the corner from where I lived. The shop was closed for the Christmas holidays and tantalisingly I waited every day for it to reopen. After a couple of weeks they reopened and I went to the shop to buy it and was most disappointed to find that it had been sold to a buyer in Perth, West Australia, a collector of vitreous enamel signs. So it’s probably still out there somewhere for Gameswat to find.

I also had another ACE chewing gum machine. It had been stored outside and although the vitreous enamel cover of the machine was in good condition, the mechanism inside was rusted and corroded.
Ace Chewing Gum Yellow061.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:53 am

Hey Bob - could you post a bigger, better picture of your fabulous Monument Cigarette Vending Machine for the Museum?

bob

Postby bob » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:00 am

I've taken some more photos of the monument cigarette machine. It's a hard machine to photograph.
IMG_9816a.jpg
IMG_9801a.jpg

bob

Postby bob » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:47 am

Today in researching something I am about to write dealing with one of my most unusual restorations, I came across a couple of answers to recent concerns. The book I was looking in is a German book called Automaten Welten. There I came across another maker of a figural match vending machine the existence of which has been written about in this forum previously. It’s a German vending machine made in 1939 by Bruno Hoehne apparatenfabrk in 1939. This is also confirmed by another German book Schoene Alte Automaten. Both books also feature a perfume vending machine made by W Seeger in 1920 which is the same machine as I wrote about above, the Midget Perfume Spray. One of these machines without a marquee was sold in an Australian country town in February of this year and I e-mailed a couple of Australian friends about this at the time:
Attached is a photo of a machine similar to the one in the recent auction in Toowomba. It has a lovely hand painted marquee. It was originally offered to me by the Hans the husband of a German lady running an antique doll shop in Parramatta nearly 40 years ago, who was selling a couple of coin op machines. He wanted a price higher than I was prepared to pay for this machine, but I bought a couple of others from them... I saw it again years later (1988) in an antique collectibles shop in Queensland on the Newell Highway. The shop owner said it was not for sale as it was in his personal collection, but took my phone number and said that if he were ever to want to sell it he would let me know immediately. Needless to say, he didn’t, and years later I heard that he had sold it to someone else. C’est la Vie.
So I never had the Midget Match Merchant in my collection, but did have the lovely Australian Perfume Fountain, which I neglected to state previously, was also appropriately located in the bathroom of our home for many years.
Midget Perfume Spray009.jpg
Perfume-Spray-Machine064a.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:44 pm

Bob wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:00 am
It's a hard machine to photograph.
Sorry to be a pain Bob, but do you have bigger versions of those images to upload? With the background cropped the image is less than 200px wide so it doesn't really do the machine justice.

bob

Postby bob » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:57 pm

Sorry to be obtuse Mr Pennymachines, how do I get "bigger" images?
By the way, I thought I had posted them upright, not on their sides and could not find how to alter.

bob

Postby bob » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:35 am

Here's a photo of a machine I came across in New Zealand in 1993. This was a cast iron Cadbury's vending machine with vitreous enamel plates that had been found bricked in behind a wall in a shop in New Zealand some years before. I don't think the machine is still in New Zealand.
Cadbury Machine  Zealand084.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:29 pm

Wow, that's a beauty Bob - nabbed for the Museum.
I've rotated your other pics (and made changes to fix image orientation from iPhones etc.) I'll PM you about image sizes.

bob

Postby bob » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:10 am

Wow Mr Pennymachines ! I've looked in the Museum and what you can do with a photo is fantastic.

13rebel

Postby 13rebel » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:14 pm

Yes indeed! Great job Mr.PM