American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
rick

Caille / Clement & Whales Countertop disc machines

Postby rick » Fri May 13, 2005 1:57 am

I'm trying to find anyone that has a Caille Ben Hur to get a recast of their marquee. Here is a photo of the marquee I'm looking for. Actually, I need two of them. I know another collector that's looking for one also.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Tit for Tat

Postby pennymachines » Fri May 13, 2005 11:52 am

Hi Rick,

I have a Caille Ben Hur marquee that I could recast for you...
But do you know where I can get the disc and marquee paperwork?
Have these been professionally reprinted in the US? Or maybe a high res. scan from an original.

rick

Postby rick » Fri May 13, 2005 1:16 pm

Not yet I don't. I need them also. Someone repainted my disc and changed it from symbols to colors. When I find something I'll let you know. Until then I'll make something up and stick it in the marquee.
I would like to get two copies of your marquee cast in iron, brass, or bronze. I'll get them plated here in Oklahoma City. Do you have a good foundry in your area. If not, I'm using one here in the states that seems to be pretty good and reasonable in their prices. If you can, let me know how much before we do anything. I'm on a tight budget.
I'm understanding your marquee is the same as the one in the picture I posted? I'd love to see a photo of your machine. I just picked this one up and am new to the wheel machines. Like to see all the different examples that are out there.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sat May 14, 2005 4:16 pm

Here it is.
I can get it cast locally (I'd be reluctant to post the original anywhere).
I'll pm you with the price when I know it. May be some time though.
I'd suggest brass as a good choice if you intend to plate it.

Also, if anyone else needs this casting please say so now.

This early Caille countertop seems to have been the pattern for later British types - Commercials and Greyhounds etc. See Museum (shortly!).
benHur.jpg
Caille Ben Hur
benHur.jpg (21.73 KiB) Viewed 10355 times

clockwork

Postby clockwork » Sat May 14, 2005 5:27 pm

Any thoughts on this Caille machine?
0997_1_md.jpg
0997_1_md.jpg (22.49 KiB) Viewed 10349 times

rick

Postby rick » Sat May 14, 2005 9:21 pm

Clockwork,
Did you recently get this off ebay? I love the way the wheel is displayed. That is a beautiful machine. There is another collector over here that is looking for a casting of the marquee on you machine also. Would you be willing to get yours recast?

rick

Postby rick » Sat May 14, 2005 9:35 pm

PennyMachines

Thanks for posting a picture of your Caille for me.
Brass will be fine for the casting. Depending on the price, I'm pretty sure I'll take at least 2 copies. If the price is good I might go for 2 more.
If you ever decide to redo your wheel and put the symbols back on it please let me know. I'd like to swap wheels with you. Yours looks a lot better than mine does.
Here is a picture of my machine.
IMG_1062-for-web.jpg

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Caille Marquee .......

Postby badpenny » Mon May 16, 2005 9:17 am

....... errr ...... can we make that three please? I need one too. I've tried Woolworth's, Tesco's even MacFisheries but had no luck. Seems like anyone who has one could be on to a nice little earner. I can just imagine the messages on this site in a year's time commenting on all the Caille Marquees that have suddenly started appearing on E-Bay !!!
Badpenny.

rick

25-Stop vs 50-Stop Countertop Wheel Machines

Postby rick » Sun May 22, 2005 9:33 pm

Is there a difference in value or collectability between a 25-Stop and a 50-Stop countertop wheel machine? Here are two machines in my collection that I'm working on. Thinking of selling one when I get finished but not sure which one I want to let go.
2cailles.jpg

coin-op
Forum Moderator

Postby coin-op » Mon May 23, 2005 11:17 am

I think they were all originally 50 stop mechs, but when the teeth on the disc wore down during their use, they were often converted to 25 stop so that the stop mechanism latched in firmly to the larger 25 tooth slots. If this is right, then the original 50 stop is preferable as it is untouched.