American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Aristocrat Clubman

Postby pennymachines » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:16 pm

Bob wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:47 am
Thank you Mr Pennymachines, it's a fantastic resource to have.
And thank you Bob for your comments and great contributions again. I've added the MK2 Coronet posted by Gameswat to the Pokies Gallery, changed the dates on the two Clubman machines on the Ainsworth page and added the design paperwork.

Before reading your post I'd decided that the fancier Clubman in the Gallery had to be later because it makes the others look a bit crude and dull by comparison and has more in common with the later Clubmaster. Adding your photos to the little flyer images and the photo I'd previously found, it's apparent that the Clubman evolved through 'machine without a name' to Clubman, New Clubman, flashier MK2 Clubman Aristocrat, before being superseded by the Clubmaster.
5-clubman.jpg

aristomatic

Postby aristomatic » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:41 pm

Mods feel free to move as it's not about the Coronet. Moved - Site Admin.

There are Clubmaster with and without the bridges in the casting as part of the reel glass window. Are those without these sections later cost saving versions formed from different mould or an other reason?

Sega made Hitop versions with and without these bridge features.

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:24 am

I noticed the machine marked as Clubman MKII has no name other than Aristocrat on it and seems to differ a lot from the Clubmaster and Clubman. Also the patents this machine was submitted by Thomas Lavelle from Luna Park and not by Ainsworth at his factory. Is it an assumption this is in fact a second generation Clubman and I am sure someone mentioned previously there was a machine called the Aristocrat. Anyway it is my favourite of the three.

Aristomatic, my assumption the reel posts are earlier machines, as with Mills and Sega Hi Tops. As to why they dropped them, maybe cleaner modern look and easier to see the reels as these machines pre date back lighting.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:29 am

treefrog wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:24 am
Anyway it is my favourite of the three.
Mine too. I'm coming to the same conclusion - the Aristocrat model would surely carry a Clubman badge if that was its moniker. I think the various sources that identify it as a Clubman may be mistaken.
Arcade-history.com has it as the Clubman of 1953, "Ainsworth's first gaming machine... manufactured in Rosebery in 1953 initially at the rate of 2 a week", and lists the earlier bandit as New Clubman of 1954. Arcade-museum.com also lists a Five Way Special of 1953 but without images or further detail.

I've now adjoined this topic to our previous Clubman/Clubmaster discussion in which andydotp said:
andydotp wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:49 pm
Actually there was a machine prior to the ClubMan - called The Aristocrat which prompted Ainsworth Dental Supplies to change its company name to Aristocrat.
But as Bob said, the documents show the true chronology is (as we suspected, based on appearance alone):
Design 33,556 - Clubman, 1954
Design 33,722 - Aristocrat, 1955
Design 37,259 - Clubmaster, 1958

This does not rule out the often-stated claim that the first Clubman was built in 1953.

Arcade-history.com lists Clubmaster as 1956 and Clubmaster Deluxe as 1958. Anyone know the difference between these models?

treefrog

Re: Aristocrat Clubman & Clubmaster

Postby treefrog » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:58 pm

Arcade-history.com lists Clubmaster as 1956 and Clubmaster Deluxe as 1958. Anyone know the difference between these models?
Not sure, but there is something in my head that the Deluxe may have been chrome plated as I am sure I have seen at least two of this type, but as usual could be talking rollicks.....

Thomas Lavelle appears to have been Ainsworth main Sales person maybe based in Luna Park area and was said to have come forward with the Aristocrat name for the company.