H.J. Bud-Monheim Monimat

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
jonesthegarage

Re: Early German Monimat Bandit on Ebay

Post by jonesthegarage »

No idea what you might get but it's for sure that yours has got just about everything possible going against it - location, conversion, condition, - I can't see anybody outside Cornwall travelling to pick it up non-working, I'd be tempted to sell it locally as a vintage, retro, decorators piece, you might get lucky,

What is the mech? standard Gunter Wulff? Pictures would be good.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Early German Monimat Bandit on Ebay

Post by pennymachines »

Jonesthegarage wrote:What is the mech? standard Gunter Wulff? Pictures would be good.
I've merged this thread with a previous one in which BP posted pictures of the mechanism. Although his looked earlier than the square cabinet version and had a skill stop, I'm guessing the mechanisms are similar. Clearly it shares no components with the Wulff mechanism (unsurprising, as it's made by Bud-Monheim) and, as BP says, it's not pot metal. !!THUMBSX2!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Monimat - 1954

Post by badpenny »

badpenny wrote:
malcymal wrote:Lovely little find, right up my street! Is that a reel re-starter button on the front?!?!
Excellent question , and I've been waiting for someone to ask that ....... which is all a delaying tactic for I ain't got a clue !PUZZLED!

I thought that was what it's there for, and it does line up with a spring loaded bar on 't'other side. However that only makes a connection with the spinner for the first reel, it doesn't interact with it, it just gets in the way of the spinner if you press it same time as you pull the handle.
I've looked all around the frame to see if there are any holes where a piece of assembly has been removed, but can't see anything that's not there (eh?)

Edited because nothing above made any sense 10.25 am
I notice at the time I hadn't sussed out the button on the front. Some time later I did and omitted to update the thread ... tut tut :tut

It is a re-starter for reel one. Everything was there to make it work, I guess at some point an operator had undone a linkage at one end and just swivelled it out of the way.
After I reconnected it everything worked fine.

I still have it.

BP :tarah:
coppinpr

not a nice machine to look at

Post by coppinpr »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Another contender for ugliest slot machine.
bad slot.JPG
bad slot.JPG (39.79 KiB) Viewed 5350 times

stemic77

Bud-Monheim Monimat identified

Post by stemic77 »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Can anyone identify this machine? There is no number or maker's name.
Thanks
Attachments
P1130989.JPG
P1130988.JPG
coppinpr

Re: Unidentified

Post by coppinpr »

I think its German, Tura perhaps, I think I can check it out.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

That's not a Tura, it's a Monimat.
Paul if you check your website you'll see you sold one in the first batch of machines you advertised for sale.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Monimat identified

Post by pennymachines »

You also posted a topic on them here. (Now merged above - Site Admin.)
coppinpr

Re: Monimat identified

Post by coppinpr »

I should have known that, I actually found it while you and MP were beating me to it :dammit:
treefrog

Re: H.J. Bud-Monheim Monimat

Post by treefrog »

Been 6 months since I bought a machine and although I have lots of projects, I bid blind on the matt black Monimat at NL auctions this week, always willing to take a chance for less than a ton and had fancied one since missing out on the one starting this thread

66DD4363-C151-4B03-93B6-0A98CC2CB44E.jpeg

.......anyway I had only noticed that it was the same machine as posted above last year and forgot to check before bidding. Obviously the poster gave up trying to get working, it is funny how many new members on this site and many FB groups make one post asking questions and do not even acknowledge with a thank you or follow up or login again dirtdog

Anyway picked up from this small auction house who had only 30% sales from the auction, very sad and an old school establishment. On getting home I was glad to see a mostly complete mechanism inside and cash box, but not working. Very quickly I could establish clock was not working and sure enough mainspring had exploded..

1D6B482B-D0FB-4A88-9580-D06E41FFC95C.jpeg

As BP had stated they are very similar to the Gunter Wulff versions, but sit differently and seem more robust (apart from spring) with race bearings on top of each pivot. So I nicked a clock from a Beromat and made a frame for the alternate mounting position and wonderful the machine works and pays out.

BF4A7EDF-B9DD-48AC-98E5-041525BF342D.jpeg

I have a timing issue to allow the reel stops to lock properly as the actuator trips before they engage. Pay disc needed adjustment as well. What a cute little machine and as BP stated nothing like the other German machines, very well constructed, even the case. I might change the Vauxhall Viva gear stick used as a handle, apart from anything else it does not actually fit :lol: Got a nice aluminium Gunter Wulff handle I will adapt.

B69D732A-A3DA-4B1E-B3B8-AFF7B1EFA0C1.jpeg

A092850D-7BC0-404B-86C5-A054B80DA9F5.jpeg

Also whether to risk stripping the tarmac paintwork off the machine as no idea what it is hiding apart from the missing badge. It is just like that road surface you get just before a pedestrian crossing, a previous owner must have worked for the highway agency...anyway it started to come off the brass window frame, so may take a chance, also some kind of award plate.

B23FB5F1-A1BE-49A8-9277-332180A34037.jpeg

One thing I forgot to mention, I had also just remembered I already have one of these machines in the square case, bought at auction 5 years ago and have never looked inside as was locked '!' Might inspire me to take a look inside and may help with issues on other one |/XX\|
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Well done Tom.

I was looking at it, but too far away, and I already have enough projects weighing heavily on my elbows.
As you'll know, but others may not, one of the most important parts is the cash box. Without one it can't pay out, as there is a tunnel that goes thorough it linking the bottom of the slides to the cup .... Weird!

I love the Viva gear change for a handle, does that mean you have to be in reverse to get a jack pot?
If you want any photos of the inside or the badge, just shout and I'll get it done.

BP !THUMBS!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well I got out my other Monimat for comparison and managed to get inside taking the back off, fortunately a cash box existed in this one. Anyway I managed to work out how to adjust timing, there is a slide adjuster for the play actuator held by two hex nuts. Slid this down to allow a longer operating stroke and voila, works perfectly now.

F8C3D304-9062-40E1-8F66-10ED0F2677A4.jpeg

So in the mood and started stripping the black goo from the cabinet and to my surprise came off easily and the main cabinet is in good condition.

34F0F67E-C0AB-41B7-BDC8-3A71B87FC36F.jpeg

So onto the front panel, which appeared to have a heavier layer of black stuff, think it might be that old car undersell stuff, anyway scrapped away top layer to find a layer of white crap, looks like plaster or maybe filler, who knows, but the paint stripper does not loosen it. Bugger knew I should have left alone....now to see what might loosen it up a bit as what wood I can see underneath looks good......I wonder if the person who did it was a car mechanic or painter and decorator :HaHa:

D6D0B55A-1D08-4DD4-88E6-C77D014E8A52.jpeg

78A301F5-A048-43B6-89BC-D06B96FD441D.jpeg

dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Are there any mechanisms you can not fix tom? Well done !THUMBS! Succes with the wood work
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

!!GOODJOB!!

Well done for saving another machine. Why would anyone paint it in black goo? Looking forward to seeing it finished.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Ha ha, I really need to read previous posts in more detail. I was always told off as a kid for starting a book at the back as I could not be bothered with the bit in the middle and beginning.....BP had already pointed out the same issue with timing and the adjustment plate on his machine, genuinely missed :lol:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

...... had I? I forget.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Had enough today, still some cabinet work to do, but love the two types of wood used, sets off nicely. Out there somewhere there is a Vauxhall viva with a Monimat gear stick and badge on the back.

Might get new glass done with awards and trying to decided what to do about missing badge. That black and white crap was the hardest stuff I have had to remove from a machine, especially as you are trying to avoid damaging the wood. Reckon it had been on there a long time
Attachments
CF4C73EE-9A30-468D-B16F-E5C890D05F2C.jpeg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Wow - what a transformation - and in record time! !!THUMBSX2!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

That looks superb.
What a strange choice of chemicals to smother such beautiful wood in.