Cast Postcard Vendor

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
treefrog

Cast Postcard Vendor

Post by treefrog »

Great looking old postcard vendor as Wintertons auctions today, certainly looks the part. Looks like it may have been stripped a long time ago as sure this would have been caked in black paint once upon a time. Love the top mark.....anyone seen one or know anything about it !PUZZLED!

Sold for £1650 over two grand with commission
Attachments
B9EF41A4-613C-40B1-B788-DB129A434155.jpeg
daveslot

Re: Cast Postcard Vendor

Post by daveslot »

Unfortunately got out bid. Never seen one before. It had an enamel coin slot on 1d. The auction house said this was cast iron, but it had a sheet metal case with cast iron trimmings. Loved the Art Nouveau top flash.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Think I've seen one of these in the US, which was German, though I don't have the early catalogues showing the huge range of vendors they produced in the late 1890's and early 1900's. I tinkered with that one and the top section hinged open.
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

Found this only on Wednesday morning and spoke to the auction house who were very helpful correctly describing the machine as cast iron pediment and iron case with enamel coin entry . Left what I expected to be a winning bid £1600 only to watch on line, it open at £320 and continue up to one bid over to an online bidder. Can't really complain gave it a good try . Never seen anything like it before and hope the new owner is as delighted as I am sure the seller is !