American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

Re: The first anti-tilt mechanism?

Postby coppinpr » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:58 am

Ha! take that!! Harry Williams, who also claimed to have introduced the term "Tilt" after he heard a patron say he had tilted his "Advance" machine. Clearly the patron had seen a machine with a tilt mech before and Harry had not. :lol:

videogamehistorian

Postby videogamehistorian » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:58 pm

As my name indicates, early coin-operated amusements are not my primary area of research. That said, it appears that Marblo game is not from 1931, but rather from 1935. Automatic Age has an ad for it in the February 1935 issue (https://aa.arcade-museum.com/Automatic- ... 02-077.pdf), and its clearly a brand new game at that time. This also makes sense based on other evidence. The Pacific Amusement nameplate on the Marblo lists a Chicago location, which I am almost certain did not exist before the company began manufacturing Contact. I am also suspicious that PamCo did not even exist yet in 1931, but I have not done enough research to state that definitively.

As for the rest, it does appear that Advance was not the first pinball game with a tilt to appear. I don't think that necessarily makes Williams a liar (or "embellisher" to be less antagonistic about it). Both of those games were released in pretty close proximity to Advance and by companies located in the Midwest. Its entirely plausible that Williams had not seen either game yet on the West Coast when he came up with the idea. I mean, that still makes him wrong, but perhaps not in a deliberately deceitful way. Of course, an even earlier machine may still appear considering how little hard research has been done on the period.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:16 pm

Thanks for your input, videogamehistorian.
You may well be correct. Although The International Arcade Museum and PinballHistory.com date Marblo to 1931, the Internet Pinball Database says that Pacific Amusement Manufacturing Company existed from 1932-1937.

And, yes, it would be wrong to assume Harry Williams was lying. As you say, such things can be independently reinvented. It's also easy to assimilate and incorporate ideas, then years later forget where they came from, and assume they were yours. We all do it, I'm sure.

I don't see any recent updates on They Create Worlds. I hope the project is still progressing. |/XX\|

Edit to add: Bally's payout pinball Rocket of 1933 had a more advanced anti-tilt mechanism than the above. It pevented cheating by breaking the payout circuit.