Oliver Whales allwin with '9 Results' flash

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
arrgee

Re: Oliver Whales 9 Results allwin identified

Post by arrgee »

Interesting comparison for rust removal of a few liquids here:

pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

And Krud Kutter rust remover was the winner, but not sold in the UK. !!GRUMP!!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Krud Kutter..... sounds like a nom de plume for a second rate author of third rate wild western novels. !COWBOY!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

tammy

Post by tammy »

Second coat of clear yacht varnish gone on case and door after sanding has its first coat on... looking good I think!

A busy time of year so will take a break for a number of days before cleaning up the dirty chrome and tackling the rusty insides. They have had a light brass wire bushing a number of days ago but should be fun!!

It's well worth remembering to knock off and spend time with your wife, husband or partner... as when I get lost in restoring time then seems to just fly by, and when they ask you questions it's worse as they remind you later and you don't remember them even asking?? They become penny machine widows for a while!!
Attachments
20191204_16112a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

It's well worth remembering to knock off and spend time with your wife, husband or partner... as when I get lost in restoring time then seems to just fly by, and when they ask you questions it's worse as they remind you later and you don't remember them even asking?? They become penny machine widows for a while!!
Tell us something we dont know ! ^{}^
tammy

Post by tammy »

Years of bad tarnish and older history?
Attachments
20191207_21382a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The ball gallery being a 7 and not a 9 is, of course, a problem, but how about making a new top part of the backflash to match the bottom half along with a new "9 results" top flash?
brigham

Post by brigham »

I'm not convinced that this is, or ever has been, a '9 Results'.
The cabinet may have been, but the door, or rather just the mechanism, looks to have been from something else; possibly 'Win a Gift'.
Is there evidence of the gift-box payout rack on the back?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I was going to comment earlier in the thread as I too noticed the hole for the pay cup was once square cut probably for a gift or sweetie payout, probably a long time ago in its history. You can see from front and back the marks....unless me eyes really have finally gone.

EBFE8892-0D81-45CA-B47D-A40B24E0CCB5.jpeg

7FDCEB79-2CFB-4E86-99C9-0DE4BC066969.jpeg

Also it looks like the track may have been in a different position from the tie holes, maybe for a different layout. !PUZZLED!

D0EF75EA-4E9C-43D0-81FA-B39267CF4FD7.jpeg

coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I'm not convinced that this is, or ever has been, a '9 Results'
I think its pretty clear it was never a 9 results. My guess is it was a "Win a Gift" but certainly not worth trying to return it to Win a Gift. It would destroy what remains of its last incarnation. I would either keep it as a 7 cup 9 results(?) if I wanted to keep the artwork, or turn it into a "Strato-Play" or "Playball" if I wanted to keep the playfield correct. This would require only changing the artwork as those two used exactly the playfield this machine has.
Attachments
owaw15.jpg
owaw7.jpg
brigham

Post by brigham »

Not exactly the same playfield.
"Win a Gift" has a lost hole.
The mystery machine has the losing cups on the gallery, same as Allwin Deluxe.
The mystery deepens...
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

My guess is the lose hole is there, under the new backflash. Can the owner tell us, just out of interest?
brigham

Post by brigham »

The shape of the inner ring is wrong for a machine with a lose hole.
The ball never runs inside the inner ring, if there is no lose hole, remember.
We have so far discovered what the machine is not.
All we need to do now is find out what it is!
tammy

Re: Oliver Whales allwin with '9 Results' flash

Post by tammy »

The Evapo-rust ordered off ebay never came as the company ran out and refunded my money... Will have to try its merits in the new year now as I have used white vinegar and baking soda and left itbon in 30 min runs till I rinse off with warm water and an old toothbrush and cloths. Results quite good actually, especially on brass but even metal It's getting there!
Started putting some bits together as it's not really the time of year for this work, unless you have a good workshop.
It's not finished, but this gives an idea on how it's coming along.
Attachments
20191210_18245a.jpg
tammy

Post by tammy »

No win hole under the blackflash coppinpr, the door and inner workings seem to have been a 1930s type machine. It has the clicking win knob but some bits now missing. Possibly an Oliver Whales conversion or some owner has done it. I will show internal parts at a later day. I am not worried about it being a 100% 9 results as I think it's how it's spent quite a lot of its life and looks interesting. It's supposed to have come from Bridlington.

Glad I bought it, but it was in such a very very dirty state on closer inspection and although I have done up restoration machines before I would not like to take another on as black as it was. Everything seemed in that black state although the screws seemed to come out well which with distressed machines often isn't the case.
brigham

Post by brigham »

WOW!
There's a lot more useable '9 Results' backflash than originally apparent.
I'd be inclined to make a '7 Results' topflash, and fill the playfield corners with something unobtrusive, to make a 'machine that never was'.
A sort of Triton or Norvin, to use motorcycle terms...
tammy

Post by tammy »

Thank you for all your comments. It's come back to life again today, taking the old pennies and delivering the ball and was even paying out 2 coins for a win. Earlier today I had to straighten out a rather bent payout slide in my vice, and then found the bar linkage to it needed straightening. Seems people must have been trying to turn the win knob when it was in the rusty seized unrestored condition. The slide is working ok, but needs a couple more screws in it!

I took pictures of the mechanism before restoring as a guide but then had to use common sense on the bent 2 bits. I have posted a picture as it's as good as done. Topflash - I have put a Win A Frys Milk Crunch topflash for now as it was easily at hand.

To think I haven't had any rechroming done - used simple cleaning products and Pound shop yacht varnish etc. It shows you can restore on a shoe string with great results.

On sanding down a case before varnishing for a novice I would say don't go daft on sanding and overdoing it. I don't really go into white wood but imagine how it might look with the varnish on top. Wipe down with a clean cloth dampened with white spirit on after sanding to clear away dust; varnish in warm to hot conditions and you will learn by practice. On a safety note, buy a packet of masks for when you sand so you don't breath all the dust. Usually only £2 for 10 or even 20 masks.
Attachments
20191211_161709a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Excellent, well done, you must be pleased. It's a good feeling isn't it?

When you put a back on it it'll also make the case more solid. Make sure you get it squared otherwise you might find the doors either jam or don't sit straight.

BP !!IDEA!!