Difficult Reel Strips to make

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

Difficult Reel Strips to make

Post by coppinpr »

These proved to be the most difficult reel strips I've ever made (for a Pace Cardinal trade stim.) The owner only had strips 1 and 5 and a tatty award card. Whereas most reel strips only need 6 symbols in different orders, these needed 48 different playing cards, each one situated on the correct reel with 5 sets of fortune slogans, one set specific for each reel. I was lucky enough to find the card order listed in the Bueschel trade stim book (which uses the same card twice in a couple of positions to adjust the payout ratios). Enjoyed doing them but it took time so now I have 4 other jobs banked up. :lol:
(seen here in half strips)
Attachments
finished-strips-1a.jpg
award-card-10-sized-finisheda.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Difficult Reel Strips to make

Post by pennymachines »

Run "Reguardless" through your spell-checker. :didact:
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

pennymachines wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:33 pm Run "Reguardless" through your spell-checker. :didact:
Ouch !
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Obviously not paying attention....
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

now how did I guess the only reaction Id get would be derogatory, I just thought people might be interested to see them, the lockdown must be hitting hard David,how long did it take you to read through all the slogans looking for mistakes? !SMARTY!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I guess you could look at it as a positive in that at least you are able to correct before the customer points it out. It was handy I set out a challenge looking at mistakes on a Mills Black Cherry and Rockola pointed out one I had missed, now corrected.....there is always a bright side.

Having messed with Paint Shop Pro, I Know how time consuming it can be and a difficult one for anyone to appreciate unless they have done and of course see the before......

Back to the workshop :smash:
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Real nice work paul, also the one from jennings. !THUMBS! Treefrog is also on his way to become an expert. Maybe you will start a joint venture? !!IDEA!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

coppinpr wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:30 am how long did it take you to read through all the slogans looking for mistakes?
Sorry, I should have been less blunt. My spelling isn't brilliant (I use spell-checks), but it stood out like the proverbial sore thumb when I was resizing your images. There should also be a space after the commas. I know it's easy to criticise and nitpick, but good restoration requires attention to detail. I'd also be looking for a higher resolution image of the wizard/witch/fortune teller and, failing that, getting an artist to re-draw him/her.
Attachments
cardinal2.jpg
cardinal.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

One of the challenges I have found (of many) was when say scanning an award card and needing to change text, eg award values, apart from issues like getting a close font to match a bigger issue was that the new text is crisp and stood out against the original, which often has a slighting blurred or faded appearance by comparison. Even if I matched the worn colours you could see the difference. In some case I redid all the text to given a better even appearance. This is one of the ways border forces identify false documents people try to use like id’s and passports etc....

Although I have in some ways enjoying doing this type of stuff, it is a frustrating time consuming process when you are trying to learn techniques to deal with each issue as these tools are complex. Don’t envy the challenge in doing this for others which I don’t feel I have the ability or patience for.....
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

treefrog wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:03 pm ...the new text is crisp and stood out against the original, which often has a slighting blurred or faded appearance by comparison.
Photoshop has several tools for dealing with that, including a range of blur filters. As you say, matching fonts can be a challenge.

The Cardinal

aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Obviously not paying atten-shun.............

..for any that missed it first time around