Cigarette allwin lock and other questions

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
brigham

Re: Allwin lock and other questions

Post by brigham »

Cut-down pencils wrapped with Rizla paper make good 'alternative' cigarettes, without the danger of chocolate.
(Must get our priorities right!)
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Thanks for the pics. Helpful to see a few variations in terms of labels too. Interestingly, although the bottom machine is different to mine the payout mech looks identical so I guess maybe this was the same maker or maybe some makers bought in 'stock' mechanics?

In terms of the glass, it's not really visible in the pics but a corner of it was broken off. Not much but JUST enough for the hole to poke out beyond the rebate in the door. I wouldn't have changed it otherwise.

I think I'm going to need to change the image in mine as it doesn't fit properly and just doesn't look like it belongs really. I can't find an image like the 'Players please, one cigarette' but I guess I could try to recreate it in photoshop. Or I could do something with one of these images... I guess it depends how purist you want to be. What would you do?

56-57 John Player - Fixture Booklet -0026.jpg

1950s-usa-players-magazine-advert,2429776.jpg

advert-players-cigs-1930-A31RJE.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

special when lit

Post by special when lit »

geofflove wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:31 pm Ps. I’m not a smoker and chocolate cigarettes appear to be outlawed now. So what to put in it?
Currently thinking of getting some matchmakers and a packet of fag papers to wrap them in.....!
I've got a cig payout machine in the 'to do' pile, I was going to use wooden dowel & paint them white.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200mm-Wooden ... 1977630638
Attachments
DSCF1097a.jpg
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Old- ... 4902.l9144

PLAYERS FAG PACKETS.jpg

Would this be any use? Some machines just have a fag packet on display, like the Bryans Six Or More. I wondered if a 20 pack would be big enough, or you could scan it and print it out the right size.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Thanks for pointing that out. That’s an idea. I’ve actually been doing a little work in photoshop and am getting it printed onto card. I’ll see what it looks like otherwise this could be a plan...! Thanks
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Cigarette allwin lock and other questions

Post by pennymachines »

As I have one of these to do, I've had a go at the graphic. I couldn't match the decorative flourish without redrawing it, so I used a bit of off-the-shelf (google images) Art Nouveau.

Cigarettes-Please3.gif
Cigarettes-Please3.gif (11.17 KiB) Viewed 3557 times

The cabinet is very much in the style of Wonders, with the pyramidal top and fluted edges.
Attachments
Cigs-Please.jpg
geofflove

Cigarettes Please allwin front plate

Post by geofflove »

Looks good! I’ve gone a bit off piste with mine... I’m having it printed on a moonpig card at this was the most cost effective option. We will see how it turns out!

That machine is identical to mine. Interesting to see the lock on the right of the cash box. My cash box cover was missing so have had to remake that part.

I got a better quote for chroming so have sent the externals off for plating.

The ‘pennies’ only sign is missing on mine too. Anyone have a source for these?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

No cashbox in mine either. Did you have one to copy?
See Pennies Only labels in Resources.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Ah great thanks. No I didn’t have a box to copy. I’ve just done an oak front plate and will pop a lock into it. No box as such, just a locking front panel. Not sure what the original was like.