Roma Flotilla

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
santelmann

Re: Roma Flotilla

Post by santelmann »

treefrog wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:53 pm

The handles assembly takes a hammering and the weak pot metal seems most affected here, especially the internal clamp which crumble.
Hi Treefrog!
The clamp is a typical problem part on Novomat and later machines. Are this parts also recycled in the Roma?
DSCN5700.JPG

dickywink

Post by dickywink »

I totally agree with you TF ... looking at the line up there is something magical about them ... thats why i like Ditchburn juke boxes and Jamiesons machines ... not the prettiest things compared to a Wurlitzer or a Caille but there is something magical about them that i love ... enjoy them
Dicky
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

The Roma’s have standard handle assembly’s, so yes and I had to change two of them. Sometimes it is best not to even touch the bolts and leave alone as if working it may carry on for a while, the risk is when you take of the back plate and it all goes wrong !PUNISH! I like to do it to check any issues and take a chance...

Interesting one of the handle plate fronts I changed and not because of metal fatigue was the below shiny one, which I am sure is a recast and very good at that. The only issue when they did this the bearing was too large and the handle rattled around so I changed it. I was going to see if I could punch out the steel bearing and insert an original Gunter Wulff one shown, but suspect they were cast around the bearing and will probably just break up. I have see some people on Facebook groups make new plates using aluminium sheet and tubing for the stops and make a good job.
Attachments
5ADBEA5E-1771-4FE6-A099-D648F1A279B7.jpeg
B1648422-7E38-4DD5-9281-F00E799768B3.jpeg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

dickywink wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:25 pm I totally agree with you TF ... looking at the line up there is something magical about them ... thats why i like Ditchburn juke boxes and Jamiesons machines ... not the prettiest things compared to a Wurlitzer or a Caille but there is something magical about them that i love ... enjoy them
Dicky
The collectors world is an odd one as for me most of my favourite machines are the cheapest ones, I would rather have a glowing Roma in my room than a Mills Rock-Ola bandit......
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

^^^^^ What he just said :didact:
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

special when lit
Hi T/F. Don't suppose you have a handle plate in that useful pile, do you?
I noticed that one restorer used a 3D printer to make a similar part https://www.foghandersen.com/en-rotomat ... problemer/ This must be the future for us restorers.
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

tallstory wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:28 am
special when lit
I noticed that one restorer used a 3D printer to make a similar part https://www.foghandersen.com/en-rotomat ... problemer/ This must be the future for us restorers.
That's a good idea. I've got a mate with a 3D printer...
santelmann

Post by santelmann »

special when lit wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:40 pm
Do you need the complete assembly or only the plate?
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

santelmann wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:24 pm
special when lit wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:40 pm
Do you need the complete assembly or only the plate?
Not sure, I've not taken it to bits yet.
dickywink

Post by dickywink »

I have been using 3d printers for over a year now .... not a thripenny joe printer but one from the 3rd dimension ...
I have been making tools for my good Fruit Machine Friends over at MPU mecca ... yes the place where slot machines use that electrickery stuff and puters to make the reels spin ... my second printer is on its way as the first one runs full time ... check out my thread on the MPU forum " Dicky tool box" and befor you say its too difficult .... it is not ... anyone can do it

Firstly ... the link to dickys toolbox

https://www.fruitemu.co.uk/ib/index.php ... c&id=23180

and secondly ... if she can do it ... anyone can do it ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fVP1VckD2U

all the best .. Dicky
brigham

Post by brigham »

Thanks for the link, but...
I had to turn it off. It was about to cost me 68 dollars.
dickywink

Post by dickywink »

Only $68 :D
When i watched that video she cost me £550 as i ended up buying that model printer
It really is quite simple to use ... and i have made many jukebox parts including a rare cashbox and buttons etc
and the results are incredibly strong and new materials like carbon Fibre filament are making parts even stronger
cashbox2jpg.jpg

cashbox.jpg

And its a great way to reproduce parts without the tooling and setup costs associated with cnc machining and injection molding

I can highly recommend these

all the best .... Dicky
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I have been very tempted having a go with 3D printing a colleague of mine has been making weird and pointless items as a bit of fun, but you can’t beat original parts. How many times I have seen people on here or at collectors auctions criticise things that don’t look right, fit or are non original. I seem to do it myself all the time and have become quite anal about things like the wrong screws. Was watching the Salvage Hunters the Restorers series the other day and they restored a small Victorian snooker table they claimed would be worth over a grand. On each of the brass clamps holding the pocket nets in, they used brass philips screws :shock: For a series geared towards hi quality restorations,unforgivable

I suspect repro parts will always have a place where a part is impossible to get or is hidden, but if I had a choice I know where I sit. I also assume you can get metal coloured filaments as dayglo green, orange or purple is really only any good for a child’s toy box, no offence meant.... !!UHOH!!
brigham

Post by brigham »

Original parts are fine, as long as we keep things in perspective.
I wouldn't miss out on driving my Hansom cab because I'm waiting to find the correct period horse.
santelmann

Post by santelmann »

treefrog wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:19 am ... but you can’t beat original parts.
Thats also my opinion. In case of Wulff parts it may be helpful to cast them with a modern alloy, but not printing.
To use a 3D printer to build up a modell for casting is ok...but not more.
I´m a little bit old school in this case, but it´s part of my hobby to check old producktion processes and machines.

Here a cast blank from a Wulff part, by using a modern Zamak alloy:
Nachstart.jpg

Just bought this old revolver lathe with a large pile of tools. OK, there were no unboxing chick and no video, but now i could produce my knobs, screws and other parts in "old" quality at home :D
DSCN5662.JPG

DSCN5663.JPG

DSCN5665.JPG

DSCN5703.JPG