Roma Flotilla

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
brigham

Re: Roma Flotilla

Post by brigham »

Thanks for the link, but...
I had to turn it off. It was about to cost me 68 dollars.
dickywink

Post by dickywink »

Only $68 :D
When i watched that video she cost me £550 as i ended up buying that model printer
It really is quite simple to use ... and i have made many jukebox parts including a rare cashbox and buttons etc
and the results are incredibly strong and new materials like carbon Fibre filament are making parts even stronger
cashbox2jpg.jpg

cashbox.jpg

And its a great way to reproduce parts without the tooling and setup costs associated with cnc machining and injection molding

I can highly recommend these

all the best .... Dicky
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I have been very tempted having a go with 3D printing a colleague of mine has been making weird and pointless items as a bit of fun, but you can’t beat original parts. How many times I have seen people on here or at collectors auctions criticise things that don’t look right, fit or are non original. I seem to do it myself all the time and have become quite anal about things like the wrong screws. Was watching the Salvage Hunters the Restorers series the other day and they restored a small Victorian snooker table they claimed would be worth over a grand. On each of the brass clamps holding the pocket nets in, they used brass philips screws :shock: For a series geared towards hi quality restorations,unforgivable

I suspect repro parts will always have a place where a part is impossible to get or is hidden, but if I had a choice I know where I sit. I also assume you can get metal coloured filaments as dayglo green, orange or purple is really only any good for a child’s toy box, no offence meant.... !!UHOH!!
brigham

Post by brigham »

Original parts are fine, as long as we keep things in perspective.
I wouldn't miss out on driving my Hansom cab because I'm waiting to find the correct period horse.
santelmann

Post by santelmann »

treefrog wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:19 am ... but you can’t beat original parts.
Thats also my opinion. In case of Wulff parts it may be helpful to cast them with a modern alloy, but not printing.
To use a 3D printer to build up a modell for casting is ok...but not more.
I´m a little bit old school in this case, but it´s part of my hobby to check old producktion processes and machines.

Here a cast blank from a Wulff part, by using a modern Zamak alloy:
Nachstart.jpg

Just bought this old revolver lathe with a large pile of tools. OK, there were no unboxing chick and no video, but now i could produce my knobs, screws and other parts in "old" quality at home :D
DSCN5662.JPG

DSCN5663.JPG

DSCN5665.JPG

DSCN5703.JPG